Jim Durkin: "I'm proud to not be in office any longer, and you should not have that rifle."

Black Flag

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/6/19/23763400/assault-weapons-ban-illinois-second-amendment-mass-shootings-guns-jim-durkin-op-ed

I support the 2nd amendment — and an assault weapons ban

I am a suburban Republican, and I support one’s right to possess a firearm, as evidenced in my support of conceal and carry. But are we at a place in time where parents will begin suiting up their kids in kevlar before going to play in the park or on their front stoop?

The horrific tragedies of mass shootings, like the one in Highland Park last summer, are not the result of a musket loaded with shot and powder, but in many cases, a legally accessible military-grade weapon, such as a Smith & Wesson MP (military and police) semi-automatic rifle (AR15) with a 30-round magazine. Enthusiasts have coined this weapon as “America’s Gun” and most recently, the “Barbie for guys.” I kid you not.

Do we still believe our founding fathers envisioned an AR15 or the likes as the natural evolution of the “right to bear arms?” Opinions are strong and personal. I presume my comments will be ridiculed by the opponents.

Shame they didn't envision the automobile huh?  I mean they really didn't care if you got drunk at the bar as if you fell off your horse you might kill your self but not anyone else!  All this stuff makes zero sense.  There's always something that we didn't have years ago that we didn't envision becoming a standard today.  Just we haven't figured out how to get rid of the politicians yet!

"I support the 2nd Amendment."  Uhm, no asshat, you do not.  You don't even UNDERSTAND the 2nd Amendment.  The 2nd Amendment was meant to provide every citizen the right to keep and bear the same arms that an infantryman did.  At that time, that was a musket.  Now, it is an assault rifle.  A REAL "assault weapon," meaning a fully automatic long arm.  We have long been limited to something quite less than what the infantryman carries, in that we have a WWII era SEMI-AUTOMATIC rifle.  Outside of cosmetics, there is little difference between an M1 Garand and an AR 15, other than the fact that the 80+ year old M1 is a full powered round and much more lethal than what you wrongly refer to as an "assault weapon."  The Founding Fathers didn't envision Scientology, either, so according to your logic, it's ok to ban it, right?  They also didn't foresee radio or television, so all broadcast "news" and opinion programs can also be banned, right?  We can go back to newspapers and town criers.  Maybe that's your angle, as you seem to be pretty adept at crying.

Lastly, nobody cares about your opinion.  Go away.  If you want attention, try going back to being Chief RINO.

Saying Jim Durkin supported "conceal and carry" (sic) is a load of crap.

HB148 Firearms - Concealed Carry in the 97th General Assembly was an almost perfect concealed carry bill from most points of view.  We had the votes, until 3 Republican turncoats joined with Chicago Democrats.  Representative Sidney Mathias, Representative  Rosemary Mulligan, and Republican Minority Leader Durkin voted against it, and it was placed on postponed consideration never to be taken up again.  Yes, he did vote for concealed carry a year later after the Seventh Circuit intervened, and he was told to vote yes by Speaker Madigan.

Using the term "leader" with respect to Mr. Durkin is an oxymoron.  He would take the floor of the House and whine about not being included in negotiations, waving his hands in the air, raising his voice in feigned indignation, pouting like a spoiled child.  He was an udder on the bull that has become the Illinois Republican party.  He led the party into nothing but self destruction.

I'm moving this thread to Illinois Politics so others in the party can see what they must never become.

More proof that a vast majority of Illinois Republicans are just a Democrats that lean a little to far right to succeed as a Democrat so they masquerade as a Republican...

Someone correct me, but "as evidenced in my support of conceal and carry." I do not remember him supporting it until a court ordered him to, am I wrong?

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=148&GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&SessionID=84&GA=97

https://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?/profile/3575-candidate-for-82nd-dist/

*mauserme beat me to it as I typed up my replay

Edited by Flynn

On 6/19/2023 at 2:32 PM, Black Flag said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/6/19/23763400/assault-weapons-ban-illinois-second-amendment-mass-shootings-guns-jim-durkin-op-ed

I support the 2nd amendment — and an assault weapons ban

I am a suburban Republican, and I support one’s right to possess a firearm, as evidenced in my support of conceal and carry. But are we at a place in time where parents will begin suiting up their kids in kevlar before going to play in the park or on their front stoop?

The horrific tragedies of mass shootings, like the one in Highland Park last summer, are not the result of a musket loaded with shot and powder, but in many cases, a legally accessible military-grade weapon, such as a Smith & Wesson MP (military and police) semi-automatic rifle (AR15) with a 30-round magazine. Enthusiasts have coined this weapon as “America’s Gun” and most recently, the “Barbie for guys.” I kid you not.

Do we still believe our founding fathers envisioned an AR15 or the likes as the natural evolution of the “right to bear arms?” Opinions are strong and personal. I presume my comments will be ridiculed by the opponents.

Hey Durkin:  Here’s a piece of advice:  Just go ahead and convert to a full fledged Democrat, and stop sullying the Republican name, because the democrats already own you.  JUST GO AWAY.

The question of so-called "assault weapon bans" is essentially a debate between an out-of-touch demographic (gun control advocates 50+) refusing to listen to a younger demographic (voters 18-34) that doesn't support the concept anymore, and are sick of hearing about it.

I know the gun control movement isn't really bothering to convince people anymore (they're just acting without regard for public opinion) but I find that age dynamic quite interesting.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:11 PM, MrTriple said:

The question of so-called "assault weapon bans" is essentially a debate between an out-of-touch demographic (gun control advocates 50+) refusing to listen to a younger demographic (voters 18-34) that doesn't support the concept anymore, and are sick of hearing about it.

I know the gun control movement isn't really bothering to convince people anymore (they're just acting without regard for public opinion) but I find that age dynamic quite interesting.

I mean, who are the biggest influencers in the world of guns right now? How old are they? 40 tops, median of probably 35. Perhaps even 30.

What's the average age of your typical gun control advocate? 55? 60? Older?

Who's driving the cultural bus right now, especially on guns? Young supporters of gun rights, or older supporters of gun control?

Who's winning hearts and minds? Or more importantly, who's actually capable of winning hearts and minds?

Edited by MrTriple

On 6/19/2023 at 4:48 PM, spanishjames said:

I've heard Ar15s are like Legos for men, never Barbies.  What a buffoon. 

I think that this is an attempt to disparage the virility of men who like guns.

It is a variation of the left's claim that men who have small genitals use guns, in their minds, to make up for lack of size.

On 6/20/2023 at 3:22 PM, Quiet Observer said:

I think that this is an attempt to disparage the virility of men who like guns.

It is a variation of the left's claim that men who have small genitals use guns, in their minds, to make up for lack of size.

Nah that goes way farther back than the left attacking our man hoods. the AR15 has a ton of accessories that you can buy for the base firearm, barbie has a ton of accessories that you can buy for the base doll. I got a meme of it I saved 20 or so years ago. If I can find it I'll post it.

image.jpeg.3d2495b63b44327cde2ac3457b6e20a8.jpeg

Edited by Hatchet

On 6/20/2023 at 4:05 PM, Hatchet said:

Nah that goes way farther back than the left attacking our man hoods. the AR15 has a ton of accessories that you can buy for the base firearm, barbie has a ton of accessories that you can buy for the base doll. I got a meme of it I saved 20 or so years ago. If I can find it I'll post it.

That's misogynistic and trans-phobic!  Cancel them!!  Oh wait ...

Edited by 2A4Cook

On 6/20/2023 at 4:05 PM, Hatchet said:

The rifle is G.I. Joe's accessory. 

I'm glad this thread is public where I can also pile onto Jim Durkin.  I've met him several times regarding our concerns regarding our 2A rights.  He is an arrogant two-faced lier and no friend of ours. He is quite unpleasant on a personal level and was bad for the Republican party and Illinois.  I would bet that he voted for Pritzker, Biden, Hillary, and Obama.  Good riddance to him.

Durkin was an absolute disaster as minority leader.  But it is easy to see why he was the leader.  He played well with the opposing party and was essentially their puppet.