NRA Head Wayne LaPierre Resigns

Plinkermostly

On 1/5/2024 at 2:56 PM, davel501 said:

Now let's see if they change the rules so this can't ever happen again.

THIS right here........I'm guessing the donations are down to absolutely cataclysmic levels given how SAF,NSSF,GOA,FPC and others have shown how irrelevant the FuddRA has become.

Suggestion for the next leader........Do more than sell ads in Rifleman and working behind the scenes to make sure all your country club buddies don't lose their investment on pre-86 transferables. 

On 1/5/2024 at 6:39 PM, Flynn said:

Still not getting a penny from me until they get rid of everyone else in the upper echelons and reboot the entire organization from the ground up...

There are some good folks there. I've talked to several over the years that knew what was wrong and what needed to change. I just hope there's enough of them to get it done. 

Leadership lost sight of the NRA mission. A political lobby was absolutely necessary but shooters created and supported the organization. Competition and training became an unwanted stepchild. They were the NRA biggest fans and sales people. The CMP has filled the vacuum. I am not sure if or how new leadership can bring back it's once dominance. I am still rooting for it.

Sadly USAShooting leadership has also shot itself in the foot.

Gun people are our own worst enemy.

They lost me when they went to their online training crap, and expect us to take them to the range hoping they were the one that actually did the training. They were so money hungry to cut us out they blew up the program. The last day I taught an NRA class was the day they rolled that turd out.

If I'm going to step on a range with a new shooter, it will ONLY be after I have taught them proper gun safety and fundamentals. Period.

On 1/6/2024 at 5:38 PM, Yeti said:

Can you elaborate on that or point me to any info sources please?  That’s something I hadn’t heard about and would like to learn more.  Thanks!

Kind of complicated. USAShooting was created by congress approximately 30 years ago. Congress in effect took away from the NRA the Olympic national governing body authority for the summer Olympics shooting events. They gave the authority to USAShooting promising the NRA shooting coaches financial support for supporting the new organization. The money never happened. Anyone surprised. USAShooting continued using the NRA coaching department to train and certify coaches. They still do but the NRA has dropped the ball on that too. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s NRA, Cmp and USAShooting leadership were working well together to promote grassroots competition as a building program for our Olympic shooting team. The army at Fort Benning was also involved. All good things must come to end. Good people retire or die. Replacements had their agenda to get all the credit. Cooperation was replaced by competition. USAShooting and their coaching program was being helped by the NRA and the Cmp. USAShooting has continually been short on money. They happened to walk on to a new double decker 50 meter shooting ranged built by the NRA. The NRA kept helping after losing the NGB. USAShooting continued  to use the NRA coach program, leaders and coaches to maintain consistency. None of us coaches out here in the grassroots know what is going. Several years ago USAShooting decided to start their own coach training program on line giving some lip service to existing NRA program. This throw everything in turmoil including the NRA training department. They all became stupid. The USAShooting coach program failed. There is nobody at the NRA qualified to run the coaches program especially to keep the teaching materials updated. As a USAShooting level 3 coach for rifle and pistol and a NRA Training Counselor and a member of the National Coaches Development Staff I used to have leadership names and numbers to call to answer questions. That structure is no more. It is a mess. Why can't we all work together for a common objective?

About time.  I stopped being a member years ago solely because of Wayne - corrupt, self-serving, narcissist.  I believe he belongs in jail.  Unfortunately he hand-picked his successor, and "his" board remains largely in place, so don't expect anything to change.  Also, the way he treated Ollie North was despicable, in my opinion.  Where has the NRA been while IL politicians erode our 2A?  I won't rejoin until I see real change at the NRA.  I know there are life time members etc. on this board, but this is how I feel.

On 1/6/2024 at 2:56 PM, John Q Public said:

They lost me when they went to their online training crap, and expect us to take them to the range hoping they were the one that actually did the training. They were so money hungry to cut us out they blew up the program. The last day I taught an NRA class was the day they rolled that turd out.

If I'm going to step on a range with a new shooter, it will ONLY be after I have taught them proper gun safety and fundamentals. Period.

100%

At this point I think the best and most feasible outcome that could happen for NRA, is for the 501c3 Foundation wing to split off and focus solely on gun safety, competitions, and training. Basically getting back to their roots.  I think the lobbying is what started all the corruption currently plaguing the NRA.

Besides in recent times,  other organizations have fared far better in legislative/lobbying efforts, and also court cases (like SAF).  Leave these efforts to others and the NRA should cease this activity altogether.

Edited by hceuterpe