NM Governor declares “gun violence emergency” and suspends concealed and open carry in Albuquerque

steveTA84

Yesterday

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/new-mexico-governor-declares-gun-violence-a-public-health-emergency/

SANTA FE, N.M. — New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham declared gun violence a public health emergency following the murder of an 11-year-old boy on his way home from an Isotopes game Wednesday night.

Gov. Lujan Grisham shared the following statement: 

“Today, I join the family of an 11-year-old boy in mourning his violent death yesterday. And I mourn the loss of a 5-year-old girl murdered in her bed last month. These are disgusting acts of violence that have no place in our communities. As a mother and grandmother, I cannot fathom the depth of these losses, and their effects will be felt by families, friends and communities forever. I send my most sincere condolences to the loved ones of both of these children. 

The time for standard measures has passed. Today I am declaring gun violence a public health emergency in New Mexico.

This administration has done meaningful work to pass legislation, support law enforcement and significantly increase public safety resources to curb violence.

Moments ago:

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-u-s-news/ap-new-mexico-governor-issues-order-to-suspend-open-and-concealed-carry-of-guns-in-albuquerque/amp/

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency public health order that suspends the open and permitted concealed carry of firearms in Albuquerque for 30 days in the midst of a spate of gun violence. 

The Democratic governor said she is expecting legal challenges but felt compelled to act in response to gun violence, including the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium this week.

Those who have been paying attention fully expected the "Health Emergency" angle to be invoked sooner rather than later as a new weapon to deny the right...  I certainly hope no court entertains it as a law-abiding citizen carrying poses no heath threat to anyone!  At least not a treat brought forth by the firearm, they still might have the sniffles or something...

Whenever I see the gun control movement doing stupid stuff like this, it doesn't strike me as the sort of behavior you'd expect if they were truly winning the war on guns.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, MrTriple said:

Whenever I see the gun control movement doing stupid stuff like this, it doesn't strike me as the sort of behavior you'd expect if they were truly winning the war on guns.

Their laws still stand so they are winning. What have we won since the law passed in January? With Republicans like Roberts and Barrett don't expect relief from the Supreme Court either and they have the Illinois Supreme Court in their pocket. They are pushing the envelope to see what sticks and Democrats can't wait to do the same in Illinois.

This is absolutely outrageous. They've been wanting to roll back carry laws. This is their trial balloon. Expect Jabba the Gov to try it here.  

This is what so many people warned about.  They got away with using health emergency to deny people their rights during the pandemic. Only natural they are looking to expand on that power.

If there was EVER grounds for a 1983 lawsuit, this is it.    She needs to be bankrupted.  That is the only way they will stop. 

On 9/8/2023 at 11:56 PM, ak76 said:

With Republicans like Roberts and Barrett don't expect relief from the Supreme Court either

IMO the only reason the Supreme Court took Rahimi (what I consider a nuclear gun case) so soon after Bruen is to take a baseball bat to the lower courts that still refuse to figure it out after Heller/Bruen...

On 9/9/2023 at 12:50 AM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

If there was EVER grounds for a 1983 lawsuit, this is it.    She needs to be bankrupted.  That is the only way they will stop. 

I agree, but as I have said before, even though the 1983 statute was put in place for this very reason, the courts almost always and universally refuse to allow them to proceed against elected officials...

This emergency powers things is a sweet deal isn't it? When you can't convince the citizens you know what is best for them, when the legislative process isn't giving you your way, just do a work around. Sort of like when they started going to court to have judges take the place of congress.

Two drive by shootings and the Governor says Joe and Sally Public cannot carry their firearms anymore.

So the city DA and the County Sheriff don't agree with the Governor, but they haven't said they will refuse the order, cause orders is orders, I guess.

Technically I believe the State Police would be enforcing this one.

On 9/9/2023 at 4:18 AM, GTX63 said:

Technically I believe the State Police would be enforcing this one.

One article I read said that only the state police would be enforcing this, with the city/county police proclaiming they are going to focus on actual crimes...

What people should be terrified of is that if they are allowed to suspend the 2nd for health reasons then rights are no longer rights and any right can all be suspended by declaration...

The first arrest for Charlie Q Public walking down the street, legally armed and unaware of any "emergency order" should be quickly followed by a lawsuit. And when an elected politician does something so blatantly against a citizens rights, even proclaiming their sworn duty isn't absolute, they should be held personally responsible.

On 9/9/2023 at 5:38 AM, Flynn said:

One article I read said that only the state police would be enforcing this, with the city/county police proclaiming they are going to focus on actual crimes...

What people should be terrified of is that if they are allowed to suspend the 2nd for health reasons then rights are no longer rights and any right can all be suspended by declaration...

We need to understand that there are those of the "political class" that would like precisely that.

We are moving from government by executive order to government by emergency declaration. With EOs there are limits to the power grab. With emergencies, much less so. Hence the language shift from "climate change" to "climate crisis" to "climate emergency" - it's all about laying the political groundwork for future emergency declarations and the attendant suspension of civil liberties.

On 9/9/2023 at 11:16 AM, Quiet Observer said:

The silly edict applies to the city of Albuquerque, not the whole state. 

One small step for now.  Take out larger bites later.  Then move to take the entire state.  And all the while they already know that the Pro Gun groups are NOT going to spend money on this stuff anymore.  As an example most of us here will be dead and gone by the time they get around to solving the current lawsuits in Illinois!  Soros doesn't need a GoFundMe page or have a raffle to raise funds.  Our deep pockets have zippers at the tops!  

When these individuals declare that no Amendment to the Constitution is absolute (or in this case, the governor says that her oath isn't absolute....which in itself is an incredibly stupid statement), I want to ask them how they feel about the 13th.

Legal challenges are apparently in the works.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/opponents-prepping-court-challenges-impeachment-after-governor-michelle-lujan-grisham-imposes-emergency-carry-ban/

Edited by springfield shooter