The ISP Person to Person check is a Gun Registry

AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

On 7/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, jimk849 said:

If I lost a 380 pocket rocket I think. I can't find it in the house or the car. I carry in a little sock holster and never take it out of my pocket outside the house. If I can't find it do I have to report it stolen or lost to my local Police Dept.?

Thank you

720 ILCS 5 said:

Sec. 24-4.1. Report of lost or stolen firearms.

(a) If a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and who possesses or acquires a firearm thereafter loses the firearm, or if the firearm is stolen from the person, the person must report the loss or theft to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after obtaining knowledge of the loss or theft.

(b) A law enforcement agency having jurisdiction shall take a written report and shall, as soon as practical, enter the firearm's serial number as stolen into the Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS).

(c) A person shall not be in violation of this Section if:

(1) the failure to report is due to an act of God, act of war, or inability of a law enforcement agency to receive the report;

(2) the person is hospitalized, in a coma, or is otherwise seriously physically or mentally impaired as to prevent the person from reporting; or

(3) the person's designee makes a report if the person is unable to make the report.

(d) Sentence. A person who violates this Section is guilty of a petty offense for a first violation. A second or subsequent violation of this Section is a Class A misdemeanor.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:48 PM, jimk849 said:

If I lost a 380 pocket rocket I think. I can't find it in the house or the car. I carry in a little sock holster and never take it out of my pocket outside the house. If I can't find it do I have to report it stolen or lost to my local Police Dept.?

Thank you

Every so often I misplace something… I have always found it exactly where I last put it. 

If you have really lost a firearm, it is probably best to follow the rules as posted above by Euler. I imagine you can report it found at some later date if it turns out the firearm was just playing hide and seek with you. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:22 AM, mikew said:
430 ILCS 65/3 said:

(a-25) On or before January 1, 2022, the Illinois State Police shall develop an Internet-based system upon which the serial numbers of firearms that have been reported stolen are available for public access for individuals to ensure any firearms are not reported stolen prior to the sale or transfer of a firearm under this Section. The Illinois State Police shall have the Internet-based system completed and available for use by July 1, 2022. The Illinois State Police shall adopt rules not inconsistent with this Section to implement this system.

Thank you HB562 and ISRA-endorsed Senator Koehler for this paragraph.  The outcome here is worse than no expiration date on the FOID/CCL card.

I think this is another overreach by the ISP. Just like when they attempted to make the "hits on target " on the B27 silhouette inside the 7 ring. 

The way I read and interpret (a-25) is that the ISP is supposed to be compiling a list of serial numbers in a database for US to search.

Not us inputting serial numbers for them to establish a database.  

Another reason I think the EPA ruling should apply to the ISP. 

I figure until you move out of your house is just misplaced and even then I might be in your toolbox. (Found one there as well)  I "misplaced" a firearm for well over 15 years and found it later hanging out the back of the bottom of a file cabinet.

If the firearm your transferring is older that the law....

I keep absolute no records over 10 years old, period!

On 7/4/2022 at 7:57 AM, mauserme said:

My opinion is that this was all by design to allow them to eventually track every firearm owned in Illinois. If gun registration was the big surprise in a last minute amendment it appeared to be, the ISRA would have objected.  They said nothing.

The ISRA was on board with that every step of the way.

They are nothing but a FUDD organization devoted to duck hunters and skeet shooters.  They've always been about "compromising" with grabbers as they chip away at our Second Amendment rights piece by piece.  I stopped donating what amounts to lunch money for Wayne LaPierre, and certainly wouldn't spit on a stamp for the ISRA; they've been spitting in our faces for years.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:57 AM, mauserme said:

My opinion is that this was all by design to allow them to eventually track every firearm owned in Illinois. If gun registration was the big surprise in a last minute amendment it appeared to be, the ISRA would have objected.  They said nothing.

The ISRA was on board with that every step of the way.

Which is why I am no longer a member.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:55 AM, 2A4Cook said:

They are nothing but a FUDD organization devoted to duck hunters and skeet shooters. 

As a former board member and officer, I would disagree with that statement.

But I would certainly agree that they have lost their way.

Sucking up to a bad bill to keep "a seat at the table" is wrong thinking,
not good policy nor good member relations.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, mikew said:

As a former board member and officer, I would disagree with that statement.

But I would certainly agree that they have lost their way.

Sucking up to a bad bill to keep "a seat at the table" is wrong thinking,
not good policy nor good member relations.

Eeeek based on what I've heard I might have to re-evaluate you ;) 

I thought it was all cloak and dagger board members only with an "in" a secret selection/organization. 

On 7/5/2022 at 1:36 PM, yurimodin said:

IIRC not doing any of this is considered a "petty offense" which is basically unpunishable.

IANAL.

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
 from the last half of Section 3b:

For transfers of a firearm, stun gun, or taser made on or after January 18, 2019 (the effective date of Public Act 100-1178), failure by the private seller to maintain the transfer records in accordance with this Section, or failure by a transferee pursuant to subsection a-10 of this Section to identify the federally licensed firearm dealer maintaining the transfer record, is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class 4 felony for a second or subsequent offense occurring within 10 years of the first offense and the second offense was committed after conviction of the first offense. Whenever any person who has not previously been convicted of any violation of subsection (a-5), the court may grant supervision pursuant to and consistent with the limitations of Section 5-6-1 of the Unified Code of Corrections. A transferee or transferor shall not be criminally liable under this Section provided that he or she provides the Illinois State Police with the transfer records in accordance with procedures established by the Illinois State Police. The Illinois State Police shall establish, by rule, a standard form on its website.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:38 PM, mikew said:

IANAL.

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
 from the last half of Section 3b:

For transfers of a firearm, stun gun, or taser made on or after January 18, 2019 (the effective date of Public Act 100-1178), failure by the private seller to maintain the transfer records in accordance with this Section, or failure by a transferee pursuant to subsection a-10 of this Section to identify the federally licensed firearm dealer maintaining the transfer record, is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class 4 felony for a second or subsequent offense occurring within 10 years of the first offense and the second offense was committed after conviction of the first offense. Whenever any person who has not previously been convicted of any violation of subsection (a-5), the court may grant supervision pursuant to and consistent with the limitations of Section 5-6-1 of the Unified Code of Corrections. A transferee or transferor shall not be criminally liable under this Section provided that he or she provides the Illinois State Police with the transfer records in accordance with procedures established by the Illinois State Police. The Illinois State Police shall establish, by rule, a standard form on its website.

If I read this correctly providing information to ISP is an option currently. It simply removes criminal liability from the record keeping requirement. But, a question, what is the current time that a transfer must be retained? It is not specified in the quote. Also, it looks as if anyone buying any gun from a dealer must retain the transfer information, not just guns transferred from a private party. 

Laws and and regulations such as this only serve to remind me of the unwillingness of governments to actually suppress crime. But, that would mean governments would have to arrest and prosecute their voting block. Instead they create convoluted and vague regulations that are meant to be enforced on those who are the most compliant. They scream about “gun violence”, whatever that is, and do nothing about actual crime. Government’s deflection from reality and their unwillingness to do anything other than cast blame on those least likely to have anything to do with the problem has become so excessive that real people, who live real lives, will soon ignore their petty rules. And why not? When actual accountability for anything is absent no one will willingly obey. 

Additionally, we need to remain united as people who are very concerned about a particular civil right and our relationship with government. Being united means that the denigration of those who practice a branch of our passion we don’t appreciate doesn’t mean they are less concerned or even less active in our defense. This practice of denying others in our ranks an equal place because they are different only serves those who want us fractured and complacent. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ammo transfer generated a 5 digit approval number.  This language is printed in a box at the bottom of the verification page it prints:

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) Notwithstanding item (2) of subsection (a) of this Section, any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact a federal firearm license dealer under paragraph (1) of subsection (a-15) of this Section to conduct the transfer or the Illinois State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card under State and federal law including the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2024. Until that date the transferor shall contact the Illinois State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the card. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

So, it would appear that the law remains the same.  You only need to "determine the validity of the card."  They are trying to backdoor a registry by tricking sellers into this crapola.  Registries are illegal under federal law.  This is overreach at its finest.

Archived