Do you call 911?

vito

Let's say you are somewhere and a miscreant approaches you, verbally announcing that he plans on taking your wallet, phone and maybe assaulting you. You warn him off, but need to draw your firearm to stop the threat. And your action works; the thug's eyes get wide, and he turns and runs off. You are unharmed, no shots were fired, and you can safely continue with your life. Do you call 911 or just holster your gun and go on with what you were doing, even if your pulse rate stays high for awhile. Calling 911, even if the police accept your story, could result in your gun being taken, and possibly you being arrested or detained while the case is investigated by the local police agency. But not calling risks that the thug might just call 911 himself, claiming that you are the criminal who brandished a firearm at him for no reason, so that when the police cruise the area and find you, you are now trying to defend your actions. What do you do?

Living here in Southern Illinois, I would call the police. I want to get the first word in and I want the officers to know from the start that I'm the victim.

I would think, which I could be wrong, that most departments in this area would not take your weapon. Once they have validated your license, you acted in accordance with the law, there is no reason to take your license.

First called in is usually the first believed.

"Operator, I was walking along Maple St, when this old guy starts yelling at me for no reason, pulls a gun out of his pocket, and starts waving it at me, saying he's gonna shoot me. I was 30 feet away from him and minding my own business, so I ran around the corner to save my life!"

End result....you get a nice ride in a police car, and then have many long interesting conversations with the local deputies.

Let’s just talk about your first statement in your for sentence . You definitely call the police. Forget about the rest IT IS an attempted robbery Which is a crime.

You should always call the police for all the reasons stated above.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Police rarely if ever find the "some random guy" that tried to rob you and ran away. And then if by some miracle they did find him you would have to ID them, go to court and waste time out of your life. Then your names on record and you have to worry about retribution from any relatives or associates of said criminal. That's just not worth it for me. That's why I carry a gun in the first place.

I think a robber calling the police on you is a very unlikely scenario anyways. In fact I would love to see an example of that happening to someone based on a legitimate attempted robbery.

I think one could more see that scenario happening over a fight or some other form of altercation/ disagreement more so than an attempted robbery. Robbers usually have long criminal records.

People who have been in the system aren't usually to inclined to call the police because their robbery went bad. Much better just to walk away and figure you will get em next time.

You should always call the police for all the reasons stated above.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Police rarely if ever find the "some random guy" that tried to rob you and ran away. And then if by some miracle they did find him you would have to ID them, go to court and waste time out of your life. Then your names on record and you have to worry about retribution from any relatives or associates of said criminal. That's just not worth it for me. That's why I carry a gun in the first place.

I think a robber calling the police on you is a very unlikely scenario anyways. In fact I would love to see an example of that happening to someone based on a legitimate attempted robbery.

I think one could more see that scenario happening over a fight or some other form of altercation/ disagreement more so than an attempted robbery. Robbers usually have long criminal records.

People who have been in the system aren't usually to inclined to call the police because their robbery went bad. Much better just to walk away and figure you will get em next time.

Bingo!

I would imagine that this op situation happens a lot. On a daily basis. It would be interesting to see data on brandishing alone stopping an attempted robbery or assault.

You always hear people say "if you pull your gun you better use it," but I wonder how many times just flashing your gun causes retreat. I'm imagining this happening to me while with my wife and my boy, and I'm inclined to say that I would put the guy down before even giving them a choice. But no one knows what they'll do until they are put in a situation like that.

If this happened and the guy made a b-line in he opposite direction, I wouldn't inform the police. I don't think someone capable of breaking the law is going to call the police on me. If he does, how are the police gonna find me anyway?

I've been in several situations where I've had to draw my firearm, I will say that originally I did not call the police, because I thought it would be a waste of time. Later, I actually had to consult an attorney regarding a specific instance where this happened, and her suggestion was that it would probably be a good idea to do so in the future, just to cover myself legally.

Since then, I was in one situation where I did have to draw my firearm on someone who was undeniably intent on criminally assaulting me. He ran away, and I called 911 to report the incident. I was told that since there was no actual assault committed, that there was nothing that could be done and that they would not be taking a statement from me or sending an officer to the location.

I will still be calling police in such instances, even though it seems that there is a good likelihood that nothing will be done, to prevent any situations where someone tries to turn the legal tables on me and get me in trouble.

In the event of a successful brandishing, I think the likelihood of the bad guy calling 911, and getting a bunch of cops around him, approaches absolute zero. I also think this is why we have virtually no statistical information about the incidences of brandishing, i.e., no one calls the cops. The bad guy doesn't, for obvious reasons. The good guy doesn't, because he just doesn't need all the nonsense (confiscation of his gun, etc) that will inevitably follow. And I really don't subscribe to the view stated by some here that you only draw your gun if you're going to actually shoot it. That's nonsense.

It's not rocket science to understand that thousands, maybe millions, of shootings have been avoided in our country's history because someone ran when faced with a p***** off potential victim's gun barrel, or a warning shot, for that matter.

I worry about having to phrase that to 911. Don't want to be arrested for "brandishing". What is the best way to word that you drew your firearm but didn't end up shooting? "I was in fear for my life and I drew my weapon, and just before I was about to fire, the bad guy turned around and ran away, so I holstered my weapon without having to fire a shot, thank god."

I would imagine that this op situation happens a lot. On a daily basis. It would be interesting to see data on brandishing alone stopping an attempted robbery or assault.

You always hear people say "if you pull your gun you better use it," but I wonder how many times just flashing your gun causes retreat. I'm imagining this happening to me while with my wife and my boy, and I'm inclined to say that I would put the guy down before even giving them a choice. But no one knows what they'll do until they are put in a situation like that.

If this happened and the guy made a b-line in he opposite direction, I wouldn't inform the police. I don't think someone capable of breaking the law is going to call the police on me. If he does, how are the police gonna find me anyway?

If you pull your gun, you BETTER BE PREPARED TO USE IT.. That is not the same thing as you BETTER USE IT. Just sayin'...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In the event of a successful brandishing, I think the likelihood of the bad guy calling 911, and getting a bunch of cops around him, approaches absolute zero. I also think this is why we have virtually no statistical information about the incidences of brandishing, i.e., no one calls the cops. The bad guy doesn't, for obvious reasons. The good guy doesn't, because he just doesn't need all the nonsense (confiscation of his gun, etc) that will inevitably follow. And I really don't subscribe to the view stated by some here that you only draw your gun if you're going to actually shoot it. That's nonsense.

It's not rocket science to understand that thousands, maybe millions, of shootings have been avoided in our country's history because someone ran when faced with a p***** off potential victim's gun barrel, or a warning shot, for that matter.

It's not just the bad guy that could place a 911 call about someone brandishing a pistol. Bystanders may have a very different perspective on what happened, especially if they didn't see the entire incident.

I worry about having to phrase that to 911. Don't want to be arrested for "brandishing". What is the best way to word that you drew your firearm but didn't end up shooting? "I was in fear for my life and I drew my weapon, and just before I was about to fire, the bad guy turned around and ran away, so I holstered my weapon without having to fire a shot, thank god."

My statement was along the lines of:

"I was just physically threatened by an individual at Such and Such Place. He came at me in a threatening manner that made me believe that he was intent on causing me bodily harm. I'm a disabled veteran who walks with a cane, so I drew my concealed carried firearm, for which I have an Illinois CCL. Upon seeing that I was armed, the criminal who tried to attack me stopped his actions, turned around, and ran away. I would like to file a police report about the incident and give a description of my attacker. I'm going to call my attorney after I get off the phone here and get their legal advice on giving my statement to the police. Should I remain at my present location so you can send officers to it, so I can direct them to where I saw the attacker go, as well as have them take my statement when my attorney arrives, or should I accompany my attorney to the nearest police station to give my statement? Or can I give it to you over the phone?"

The response was, "Since you didn't shoot anyone and you weren't injured [note that they did not even ask if I was injured], we don't take statements about that kind of thing. We also don't sent officers to investigate that, and we don't need you to come down to the station to give a statement."

So, that's my experience with that sort of situation. I actually have practiced and rehearsed a "boilerplate" statement, where I can fill in the bare details of where it happened and what the criminal did, so that I won't be trying to wing it as I go.

But, it doesn't seem to have made any difference, to be honest.

If you pull your gun, you BETTER BE PREPARED TO USE IT.. That is not the same thing as you BETTER USE IT. Just sayin'...

Totally agree with the first, but have seen the latter expressed often. I understand being prepared to use it, but I cannot fathom the notion that if you draw, you must shoot. Or phrased another way, don't draw unless you're going to shoot. And I've seen that expressed many times on multiple forums. The logic of that escapes me. The operative words, as you've pointed out are: "prepared to" That makes total sense. The other view that some proclaim, not so much.

The response was, "Since you didn't shoot anyone and you weren't injured [note that they did not even ask if I was injured], we don't take statements about that kind of thing. We also don't sent officers to investigate that, and we don't need you to come down to the station to give a statement."

This is absolutely appalling.

I'm glad you were not, in fact, injured.

This is absolutely appalling.

I'm glad you were not, in fact, injured.

It's almost certainly the exact reason for this:

I also think this is why we have virtually no statistical information about the incidences of brandishing, i.e., no one calls the cops.

I'm not sure you understand what Beezil was saying. Rahm wants to charge $4.00 for EVERY call to 911. That's a big difference from a surcharge on your monthly bill.

And to the OP, like was said so many times, yes, call 911 to report the other guy. If it were me, I think I might leave out the part where I pulled a gun on him and he fled. I would wait until the police arrived and then give them all the details.

Archived