Barnett v. Raoul (3:23-cv-00209) (S.D. Ill. 2023) - NSSF Gun/Mag Ban

Upholder

On 5/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, Tvandermyde said:

registration doesn't even begin till 10/1. 

And if you're not planning on registering anything, it doesn't matter

I wouldn’t count on that. Look at how many people are tripping over others getting their “free stamps” over the pistol brace rule. And thats them even having to declare that the firearm was always an sbr right from the beginning. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, IH8IL said:

I wouldn’t count on that. Look at how many people are tripping over others getting their “free stamps” over the pistol brace rule. And thats them even having to declare that the firearm was always an sbr right from the beginning. 

I understand people worried about that kinda of stuff, but again it only is problematic if you plan on registering stuff

On 5/13/2023 at 10:57 AM, Tvandermyde said:

I understand people worried about that kinda of stuff, but again it only is problematic if you plan on registering stuff

I predict the registration process is going to be a cluster bleep from the start.   

The idiots who wrote the bill and designing the system most likely have no idea the quantity some folks will need to register.  They probably don't even have a clue that one AR15 lower can be paired with an infinite number of uppers making a different rifle.   And if parts and components will need to be registered.. most have no serial number. 

I bet that hamster powered system running the FOID site will crash every time someone with a mega-collection hits the submit button.  

On 5/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, kevin525 said:

Everybody calls it a registration, but the bill calls it a endorsement. I think the word endorsement is worse. An endorsement could be denied or revoked at a later date.

It's newspeak. If it's not called registration, then it's not registration. (Except it is registration.)

Also, yes, "endorsement" can be revoked, which also makes it a license.

On 5/13/2023 at 5:43 PM, Euler said:

It's newspeak. If it's not called registration, then it's not registration. (Except it is registration.)

Also, yes, "endorsement" can be revoked, which also makes it a license.

That is how they will ban all registered guns with the stroke of a governor's executive order.   

On 5/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Upholder said:

I’ll put my money with the 4 boxes diner.

The State wont’t appeal their loss to the SCOTUS to keep it from becoming nation wide. Unless, fatty pushes it to try and get a win and they end up loosing.

I think.Mr. V or someone else mentioned this earlier on in the thread.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, Tvandermyde said:

registration doesn't even begin till 10/1. 

And if you're not planning on registering anything, it doesn't matter

That is only 4 and a half months away.  You know how courts -- especially appellate courts -- move as far as time is concerned.  Snails are hares by comparison.  They are banking on delaying this until registration begins.  The state's usual tactic is last minute motions for extensions on briefs and arguments, and I highly doubt that's gonna change here.  And anyone with a semi auto rifle who doesn't comply with their illegal registration scheme will be prosecuted on felony charges if caught.  The fact that you're in the right and they're persecuting you illegally won't matter much when you're locked up with a bunch of animals, dreading having to shower, your life and family in ruins.  Unless the federal government acts to restrain them (which they've shown little to no interest in doing), this communist police state has absolute control over you, constitution be damned.  I must have been psychic to have sold the few ARs I had before this ridiculous ban came about.  I feel for those who have them and are torn over what to do.  You register, they'll eventually confiscate them.  You don't, they'll eventually prosecute you.  The only way to stop this crap is to get the freaking Demonrats out of power.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, mab22 said:

The State wont’t appeal their loss to the SCOTUS to keep it from becoming nation wide. Unless, fatty pushes it to try and get a win and they end up loosing.

Ok it’s not welcome news to hear from Mark that the three judge panel that maintained the stay might very well be the panel to hear the merits. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:11 PM, 2A4Cook said:

That is only 4 and a half months away.  You know how courts -- especially appellate courts -- move as far as time is concerned.  Snails are hares by comparison.  They are banking on delaying this until registration begins.  The state's usual tactic is last minute motions for extensions on briefs and arguments, and I highly doubt that's gonna change here.  And anyone with a semi auto rifle who doesn't comply with their illegal registration scheme will be prosecuted on felony charges if caught.  The fact that you're in the right and they're persecuting you illegally won't matter much when you're locked up with a bunch of animals, dreading having to shower, your life and family in ruins.  Unless the federal government acts to restrain them (which they've shown little to no interest in doing), this communist police state has absolute control over you, constitution be damned.  I must have been psychic to have sold the few ARs I had before this ridiculous ban came about.  I feel for those who have them and are torn over what to do.  You register, they'll eventually confiscate them.  You don't, they'll eventually prosecute you.  The only way to stop this crap is to get the freaking Demonrats out of power.

they can send bachelors

On 5/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, Upholder said:

Almost like someone else said that

On 5/13/2023 at 5:42 PM, mab22 said:

I think they will. JB is to vain and wants to run against the Court to appease his left wing base. When they didn't appeal Shepard/Moore we were the last state on carry, so Madigan was talked out of appealing and n 2013 we didn't have all the bad case law we do now as Freidman was 2015

Lots more on this later

On 5/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, kevin525 said:

Everybody calls it a registration, but the bill calls it a endorsement. I think the word endorsement is worse. An endorsement could be denied or revoked at a later date.

That's because those that wrote the bill, JB the Blob, and the ISP think we're a bunch of idiots too stupid to realize it's actually registration which will eventually be used to confiscate everyones guns. Think about it !!! They can't even call it what it is ( registration ) they have to come up with this "endorsement " horse s**t to get suckers to REGISTER their guns. Do you think this lying con artist scum has zero intentions of confiscating your stuff ?

On 5/13/2023 at 8:11 PM, 2A4Cook said:

Don't forget to thank all those that made all this misery possible.... The America hating liberal Democrat scum as well as the lazy gun owners who couldn't be bothered to get off their fat a** and go vote or were stupid enough to vote against their own rights ( FUDDS included ) are why we have such a wonderful political tyranny in this state.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, Tvandermyde said:

Almost like someone else said that

I think they will. JB is to vain and wants to run against the Court to appease his left wing base. When they didn't appeal Shepard/Moore we were the last state on carry, so Madigan was talked out of appealing and n 2013 we didn't have all the bad case law we do now as Freidman was 2015

Lots more on this later

Yeah agreed. The state won’t let this one go.

But I think it’s a moot discussion anyway. If the 7th circuit rules allow for the emergency motions panel to also hear the case on the merits, then there is no chance Easterbrook is passing that up. He will absolutely take the chance to thumb his nose at the court one more time. Our side will be the ones appealing to Scotus.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, Tvandermyde said:

When they didn't appeal Shepard/Moore we were the last state on carry

And the state was trying to defend preexisting bad law.

Here the state is defending a new law that the ILGA flew thru and JB signed, all the while the Dems were saying the new law is constitutional.
They don't have much choice now but take it all the way to SCOTUS.

On 5/14/2023 at 10:29 AM, mikew said:

And the state was trying to defend preexisting bad law.

Here the state is defending a new law that the ILGA flew thru and JB signed, all the while the Dems were saying the new law is constitutional.
They don't have much choice now but take it all the way to SCOTUS.

That is my greatest concern - that they will tie this up in the courts for years and give themselves time to "engineer" replacement "laws".

On 5/14/2023 at 3:28 PM, JTHunter said:

That is my greatest concern - that they will tie this up in the courts for years and give themselves time to "engineer" replacement "laws".

The upside of the current law is they threw everything at it. They have set up one huge battle rather than trickling it out over time.

I worry more there is something we are missing, like some kind of scotus trickery. In the long run, precedent is only an aspiration - nothing is permanent. We saw that with Roe. 

On 5/15/2023 at 2:32 PM, Matt B said:

They could be delaying release of a denial to give time for some of the justices to write a scolding letter to the lower courts as was done in the Second Circuit. 

I'm reminded of a joke about how most London police officers are unarmed.  They see a crime in progress and yell, "Stop, or we'll say stop again!"