Barnett v. Raoul (3:23-cv-00209) (S.D. Ill. 2023) - NSSF Gun/Mag Ban

Upholder

On 4/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, JTHunter said:

I have posted Todd's videos in three other forums I frequent.  It has definitely raised the ire of some in those forums, both for the stupidity of the ILGA and the vague broadness of the language in the law.

A part of me thinks that it is not the stupidity of the ILGA writing the laws in such a vague manner.  I think it is on purpose to get things interpreted by the ISP in a way that they could not get passed if it were spelled out in the bill. 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, Sigma said:

Can a person store their firearms in state and be "not in possesion" or does he have to take it out of state

As long as you know where they are and have access to them, you possess them. The state's jurisdiction extends to its boundaries. If you want your firearms to escape Illinois law, they need to be outside Illinois.

The defendants have filed the denial of a federal preliminary injunction in the Delaware case Delaware State Sportsmen's Association v Delaware (docket) as an advisory authority in this case.

To grant a preliminary injunction, the plaintiffs have to show that:

1. it is possible for the case to succeed on its merits;
  2. the plaintiff will suffer irreparable harm without an injunction;
  3. the "balance of equities" favors the plaintiff; and
  4. an injunction serves the public interest.

The judge in the Delaware case asserted:

1. that "assault weapons" are not used commonly for self-defense, but are used commonly for mass shootings, therefore they are not covered by the Second Amendment, and the case is not likely to succeed; and
  2. that suspension of Second Amendment civil liberties for limited periods does not cause irreparable harm; furthermore the Second Amendment does not protect a right to sell firearms.

Since the first two conditions are recognized as the most important ones, and because (the judge ruled) the plaintiffs had not satisfied them, he denied the injunction.

Edited by Euler

On 4/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, Euler said:

The defendants have filed the denial of a federal preliminary injunction in the Delaware case Delaware State Sportsmen's Association v Delaware (docket) as an advisory authority in this case.

To grant a preliminary injunction, the plaintiffs have to show that:

1. it is possible for the case to succeed on its merits;
  2. the plaintiff will suffer irreparable harm without an injunction;
  3. the "balance of equities" favors the plaintiff; and
  4. an injunction serves the public interest.

The judge in the Delaware case asserted:

1. that "assault weapons" are not used commonly for self-defense, but are used commonly for mass shootings, therefore they are not covered by the Second Amendment, and the case is not likely to succeed; and
  2. that suspension of Second Amendment civil liberties for limited periods does not cause irreparable harm; furthermore the Second Amendment does not protect a right to sell firearms.

Since the first two conditions are recognized as the most important ones, and because (the judge ruled) the plaintiffs had not satisfied them, he denied the injunction.

The judge in the above case is an Obama appointee. 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:38 AM, Lou said:

A part of me thinks that it is not the stupidity of the ILGA writing the laws in such a vague manner.  I think it is on purpose to get things interpreted by the ISP in a way that they could not get passed if it were spelled out in the bill. 

Oh, I agree with you.  I just didn't want to put it out there like that.

I assume nobody else has audio beyond the elevator music?

Conferenced ended! Nothing happened. I rejoined. 

Edited by AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

It looks like it was changed to 1:30 on the calendar.

He is at the court house.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, mauserme said:

I was just told the conference ended.

I signed in 5 to 1 and got "conference ended" message at least 3 times. I have not called back as the hearing has begun and is obvious it is not being broadcast. I wonder if it is not being broadcast because biden ended the covid restrictions. 

On 4/12/2023 at 2:02 PM, Black Flag said:

Nothing happened, on the conf line.  Nothing happened for an hour.

Therefore it was a wasted hour.

Oh okay, I thought something happened in the case, but right now it is everyone dealing with the connection issues.

Thanks for the clarification. 

Edited by bmyers

On 4/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, steveTA84 said:

If what is being reported play by play is accurate, I’m not to impressed with Murphy (plaintiff lawyer), as she seems to be making the case for the antis a bit  

I agree but will reserve judgement until I see a transcript or video. 

On 4/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, steveTA84 said:

If what is being reported play by play is accurate, I’m not to impressed with Murphy (plaintiff lawyer), as she seems to be making the case for the antis a bit  

Murphy was getting dragged into a this or that argument.    .50 cal, grenade launchers, machine guns.   

Judging by the questions being asked by the judge, it looks to me like the judge is looking for an opening to interest balance.  

On 4/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

Murphy was getting dragged into a this or that argument.    .50 cal, grenade launchers, machine guns.   

Judging by the questions being asked by the judge, it looks to me like the judge is looking for an opening to interest balance.  

I would caution against reading too much into questions a judge asks at hearing. I say this because many judges ask questions to play devils advocate, even of arguments they end up agreeing with. 

Some treat it as almost an academic exercise to test the knowledge of counsel and the veracity of their beliefs, similar to a law school class.

Edited by MRE