New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

Goofy question...  I renewed my CCL and received the card back in 11/2021, before they started changing cards and combining things.  I'm pretty sure I never received an updated FOID card with the same expiration as my CCL, even though they are supposed to be synced.  I was cleaning out my wallet and noticed that my FOID card expires 11/2022 while my CCL card expires 02/2026.  When I login to the ISP portal, everything is fine; my CCL and FOID both expire 02/2026.  I can print an eCard which has all the correct information on it.  

Should I contact ISP to see if I can receive an updated combined card, as I only have an expired official old-style FOID card?  Should ISP be automatically sending updated cards out?

Thank You!

On 11/22/2022 at 4:09 PM, 029416 said:

Goofy question...  I renewed my CCL and received the card back in 11/2021, before they started changing cards and combining things.  I'm pretty sure I never received an updated FOID card with the same expiration as my CCL, even though they are supposed to be synced.  I was cleaning out my wallet and noticed that my FOID card expires 11/2022 while my CCL card expires 02/2026.  When I login to the ISP portal, everything is fine; my CCL and FOID both expire 02/2026.  I can print an eCard which has all the correct information on it.  

Should I contact ISP to see if I can receive an updated combined card, as I only have an expired official old-style FOID card?  Should ISP be automatically sending updated cards out?

Thank You!

I went through the 10 pages of the thread so if anybody is looking for an answer...

From what I can gather, it sounds like ISP should send you an updated combined FOID and CCL card in the mail.  I don't recall seeing one, but I have to check with the wife.  In the mean time, it sounds like you can carry the CCL and the FOID eCard and it should be good enough.

Edited by 029416

ISP sent out an email explaining that you will get an all in one card. Check your spam folder. I know a few that have received the email and the card showed up a few weeks later. I would print out anything you can from the ISP and keep it on you. I would also contact ISP. We know they never make mistakes..lol

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my new card with the extended date for the FOID. They sent a letter first a few months ago stating the extended date for the FOID. Then another letter telling me to expect the new card in the 'next few days'. 

The new card showed up late last week, Friday I believe. 

Since my original card showed expired since earlier this year, I didn't know what to expect if I tried to purchase a gun. It so happened that I didn't try in that timeframe. The local dealer I usually buy from was aware of the extensions. 

I think what should be done is fight fire with fire.  There was a big deal made of State police not confiscating FOID cards from convicted Felons, and them being able to use them to buy Ammo.  This is basically the same problem with no expiration date on FOID cards, at face they can be used after expired.  I would think the Anti gun nuts would be in a tizzy if they knew this.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, Sparkye said:

I think what should be done is fight fire with fire.  There was a big deal made of State police not confiscating FOID cards from convicted Felons, and them being able to use them to buy Ammo.  This is basically the same problem with no expiration date on FOID cards, at face they can be used after expired.  I would think the Anti gun nuts would be in a tizzy if they knew this.

They're not supposed to be used at all without checking their status online first.

Wait until they stop notifying you that you need to renew and put the full responsibility on you. You don't realize you're up for renewal, it lapses, and then they're knocking on your door to confiscate your property.

Anyone having any issues with retailers refusing to sell ammo because they can't quickly see that your FOID is still current?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, kind of reviving an old thread.  My FOID is one without an expiration date.  The other day I purchased a gun online, talked with the vendor, went to my FFL and filled out the paperwork.  No problems.  Then while at home yesterday evening, I get a text from 59138 which states "Your FOID license expiration date has been extended due to your recent firearm purchase.  Please login to your dashboard to see your new expiration date."  I thought that was a bid odd, no where does it say anything about the ISP, just says from the afore mentioned 59138.  I haven't logged in the ISP website to view my "new" expiration date.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:19 PM, BMAC said:

So, kind of reviving an old thread.  My FOID is one without an expiration date.  The other day I purchased a gun online, talked with the vendor, went to my FFL and filled out the paperwork.  No problems.  Then while at home yesterday evening, I get a text from 59138 which states "Your FOID license expiration date has been extended due to your recent firearm purchase.  Please login to your dashboard to see your new expiration date."  I thought that was a bid odd, no where does it say anything about the ISP, just says from the afore mentioned 59138.  I haven't logged in the ISP website to view my "new" expiration date.

They will also send an email and a letter. 

On 1/17/2024 at 11:18 PM, gunuser17 said:

I made a purchase about two months ago.  FOID expiration date has not updated and I have not received any email or letter or any other type of message.  I do have a pending CCL renewal that was filed after the purchase.

Do you have finger prints on file? The auto renewal with gun purchase is only if you fingerprints on file with the ISP.

Correction. ISP did not send me a letter. They sent me a letter with a brand new copy of my FOID with CCL endorsement. Now to tell the wife that I have to buy a lot of guns to teach the state a lesson. I wonder how much it costs to send each of those cards...gotta at least get the money back I spent on infringements like prints, and training classes.

Edited by davel501

• 1 month later...

My FOID and CCL both expire same date in may 2024. I took renewal class and went on the portal. There was a renew button for FOID and another for CCL.

I completed the CCL application and now there is no renew FOID button.

do I NOT have to renew FOID now that I completed the CCW renewal?

I can’t find any answer anywhere and my renewal instructor told me I still have to renew FOID.

this is crazy

On 3/1/2024 at 2:52 PM, HDUC10 said:

On 3/1/2024 at 3:34 PM, Euler said:

Renewing a CCL renews a FOID "for free."

So I don’t have to do anything else if I completed the CCL?

I looked at all the FAQs on the ISP portal and found NO answers. So I clicked the link to contact them and submitted my question. Immediately got an auto reply saying “we have limited staff to respond to inquiries.  Please refer to our FAQ page.”

smfh

On 3/1/2024 at 7:57 PM, Euler said:

If the FOID expires before the CCL is renewed, there could be trouble. You have until May, so it should work out.

430 ILCS 65

(c) If the Firearm Owner's Identification Card of a licensee under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act expires during the term of the licensee's concealed carry license, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card and the license remain valid and the licensee does not have to renew his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card during the duration of the concealed carry license. Unless the Illinois State Police has reason to believe the licensee is no longer eligible for the card, the Illinois State Police may automatically renew the licensee's Firearm Owner's Identification Card and send a renewed Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the licensee.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:32 AM, Kingcreek said:

Thanks. So completing the renewal for CCL satisfies the FOID renewal process and fee.

that was my first assumption since the FOID renewal button disappeared from the portal. But being Illinois, I hate to assume anything would work like that.

Not really a bonus but if you submitted fingerprints with your CCL application, they top your FOID up to 10 years every time you buy a gun through an FFL.

Cheers,

Tim

On 3/2/2024 at 8:42 AM, Kingcreek said:

No prints. And why would that matter to the FOID term anyway? Fingerprints don’t change. And why add 10 years of permission every time you buy a gun?

is that law or isp policy?

my FOID and CCL exp dates are the same since my last renewal 5 years ago.

5 years from now, I will probably be a resident of another state.

Fingerprints do change over time, a lot depends on the work you do. When I was doing bodywork I had none! lol Makes holding a glass with sweat hard to do. Anyway this wasn't your point I know.... The 10 year extension is a bonus for having your prints in file as is the free renewal.

Yes, it is policy. If you don't have fingerprints on file, you need to renew your FOID before it expires, or your CCL with be invalidated.