32 replies to this topic

#1 mikew

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

https://dailyillini....s-gun-problems/

America needs to resolve its gun problems

excerpt:

The NRA and its affiliates are incredible at crafting arguments aimed to radicalize. They combine manipulated statistics difficult to directly disprove, instigatory language painting gun owners as an oppressed class desperately fighting for basic rights and fear-mongering morphing “far-left” legislators and illegal immigrants into the perfect monster under the bed.

What does the NRA gain from radicalizing these people? It’s fairly simple. It constantly reinforces two key ideas: The government wants to take away your guns, and it’s letting in violent criminals who are heck-bent on attacking you, specifically. This pushes the NRA’s bases to buy more firearms, and faster.

#2 steveTA84

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

Yet the NRA isn’t the ones trying to ban AR’s and criminalize their ownership........

#3 lee n. field

• 1,988 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

excerpt:

The NRA and its affiliates are incredible at crafting arguments aimed to radicalize. They combine manipulated statistics difficult to directly disprove, instigatory language painting gun owners as an oppressed class desperately fighting for basic rights and fear-mongering morphing “far-left” legislators and illegal immigrants into the perfect monster under the bed.

What does the NRA gain from radicalizing these people? It’s fairly simple. It constantly reinforces two key ideas: The government wants to take away your guns, and it’s letting in violent criminals who are heck-bent on attacking you, specifically. This pushes the NRA’s bases to buy more firearms, and faster.

Hmm.  Back when I was at UIUC, they referred to it as the "Daily Idiot".

"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why would you have the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, and not light,"

#4 Kaeghl

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

excerpt:

Hmm.  Back when I was at UIUC, they referred to it as the "Daily Idiot".

They did?  Somehow, it's nice to know that some traditions carry on over time. Is this the same 'kollich edjeked idjit' that will write how the earth is really flat next issue?

#5 harley1955

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

Yeah I just left a nice comment on their fb page. SJW pos.

#6 cybermgk

• Members
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

Hmm

Modern journalists are opinionated morons that pass off opinion as fake news, even to the point of fabricating stories, sources, framing pictures for a narrative.

I can't imagine what that makes a STUDENT journalist.

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#7 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 13,547 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

An educated person would know this is false:

“ There’s an example of the massive flaw in our system right here in Illinois. While Chicago has relatively strict gun regulations, those looking to buy a gun can pop over to Indiana and purchase a gun at a gun show — a purchase which will be entirely legal, go unrecorded and require no background check. They can then just drive that gun back into the city. “

No, it would not be “ entirely legal “. Yet he gets to print this.

The kid is a sophomore and if he is this uneducated, he should never graduate.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#8 steveTA84

• 4,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

“ There’s an example of the massive flaw in our system right here in Illinois. While Chicago has relatively strict gun regulations, those looking to buy a gun can pop over to Indiana and purchase a gun at a gun show — a purchase which will be entirely legal, go unrecorded and require no background check. They can then just drive that gun back into the city. “

Read the comment section ;)

#9 cybermgk

• Members
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

"Large donors with political interests such as the Koch brothers and conservative super PACs also contribute heavily, giving the NRA an edge over gun control groups that seek to raise grassroots funding. "

ROTFLMA

I mposted a few comments

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#10 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 13,547 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

Read the comment section ;)

I thought that was you.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#11 Euler

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

No, it would not be "entirely legal". Yet he gets to print this.

Anti-2As regularly conflate FFL transfers, F2F transfers, and gun shows to create imaginary "legality." Some of them probably do it on purpose, but I suspect most of them just don't care enough to know.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#12 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

Comment sections never seem to disappoint. 

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#13 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Hmm

Modern journalists are opinionated morons that pass off opinion as fake news, even to the point of fabricating stories, sources, framing pictures for a narrative.

I can't imagine what that makes a STUDENT journalist.

Better stated

Opinon bloggers that pretend to be journalists are morons that try and pass off thier opinions as real news, generally fabricating stories, sources, framing pictures for a narrative they desire to push.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#14 mikew

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Comment sections never seem to disappoint. 

I miss comments in the Trib.

#15 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,938 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

LWW's are radicalizing other LWW's. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#16 markthesignguy

S39-(D)D.Harmon(F-) R77-(D)K.Willis(F-)

• 2,907 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

Check the author's finances for grants from the anti organizations.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign......
NRA Life Member
ISRA Life Member

#17 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

Gun grabbers are radicalizing other gun grabbers.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#18 seanc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

The kid has it all wrong!  I quit the NRA because they weren't radical enough and joined the GOA.  Wait till the little snowflake discovers them!    :rofl:

"Senator if we figure out a way to make criminals obey the law, then you'll be my first call"

#19 mikew

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

Check the author's finances for grants from the anti organizations.

Why look?
Just read the titles from the last year's worth of columns.

My bet is $0

#20 Rangerdeepv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

Just another zit faced punk trying to get a hottie.

#21 markthesignguy

S39-(D)D.Harmon(F-) R77-(D)K.Willis(F-)

• 2,907 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:05 PM

Just another zit faced punk trying to get a hottie.

Author is female.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign......
NRA Life Member
ISRA Life Member

#22 Helpdesk9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:49 AM

Just another zit faced punk trying to get a hottie.Author is female.

And?

She can't want a hottie?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#23 gearsmithy

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

I love the standard liberal response "but this is an OPINION piece!", new flash idiot, ALL news 'articles' are opinion pieces, just because you put it in the 'opinion' section doesn't mean people won't read it and be misinformed.

#24 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

Kaeghl, I borrowed your 'kollich edjeked idjit' to use in a post on the articles site.

And Cybermgk, I read all the posts and upped most of them, esp. yours.  However, if you can, you might want to go edit one where you had some typos.  The one from 2 days ago to "Sigiloso".

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#25 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 2,692 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

ˆˆˆˆˆˆWhat?
LOL

#26 madcow1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:24 AM

UIUC Alumni commentator:

Kid, go take some history classes and then come spend some time in the real world

#27 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,938 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

More proof that universities have become LWW indoctrination centers. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#28 Kaeghl

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

Kaeghl, I borrowed your 'kollich edjeked idjit' to use in a post on the articles site.

kollich edekated idjit (corrected spelling) is the typical name given to second lieutenants by sergeants Army-wide.

The most hated words sergeants can hear is when Top would say "we're getting a new 'looie', get him squared away and up to speed, Sergeant." We could look forward to upwards of seven months or more of work, with no idea if the K.E.I. would be worth it.

West point grads and ROTC's  weren't too bad, and OCS grads at least had a few years of "Real Army time experience to work with. Officers from VMI needed to be busted out and sent to the Air Force, where they could do no harm to real soldiers.

Edited by Kaeghl, 30 April 2019 - 11:09 AM.

#29 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

This is actually pretty funny...because I've been immersed in the "gun culture" for a while and my experience is that most gun owners are FAR more "radical" than the NRA....not the other way around. At various times we have been very upset with the NRA giving up ground on issues.  The NRA isn't "radicalizing" anyone. 

I'm also not sure how the NRA can influence gun owners more than gun owners influence the NRA. The NRA is a membership organization. If you pay dues, you can vote for the leadership. Therefore, the leadership should be doing what the members want. Compare that to the Brady Campaign or whatever they're calling themselves now. How can I become a member? How can I vote on the leadership? You can't. They're more than happy to take your donations, but you can't influence their policies or positions on anything. And, that, is precisely why Brady will never be on the scale of the NRA. It's a non-participatory organization.

Edited by soylentgreen, 03 May 2019 - 08:52 AM.

#30 GT1

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

While I don't belong to the nra any longer they are far from trying to radicalize anyone. Their scaremongering tactics are a huge turn off for me and I got tired of that, so I refused to renew. They are the only organization I know that nationally promotes gun safety(although they stopped telling anyone a few years ago). All the so-called gun safety people in the national media are not, their idea of safety is bans, they are simply anti-2A. 

gun totin' liberal
All fundamental liberties are interrelated. When you weaken one, you weaken them all, even if it is not immediately apparent to the short-sighted and fearful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users