HB3239 Insanity

yurimodin

There are now efforts by "anti violence" representatives to dilute or entirely rewrite the FCCL altogether. That starts 

with this bill (3239) and similar companion legislation which seeks to add "safe" and "secure" storage requirements

to a licensee when that licensee leaves their vehicle unattended. 

The fight is not just about court cases and litigation. We need a culture as well. We need direct and honest

responses to Mom's Demand Action and Everytown, which is mostly New England elitism seeping into

midwestern culture. 

On 3/17/2024 at 6:44 AM, RECarry said:

"Safe and secure storage" sounds like infrastructure. Surely there will be federal rebates available to those who own or purchase safes.

That is companion legislation to this which I am evaluating: HB 5555. 

This is sponsored by Representative Mary Gill from Beverely. 

I may do a separate post to keep discussion from not venturing off too much.

MDA is aiming on watering down FCCL. Full stop. 3239 is the first step. The second step is 

determining which containers in a vehicle are not "appropriate". They are aiming at getting 

rid of the "safe" zone provision requiring people to have trigger locks or similar devices.

They are taking the complex calculus of PICA and are now going to attempt

doing that amending FCCL to make compliance as complicated as possible.

At first glance, this seems reasonable. You are leaving your vehicle unattended. Storing

firearms. But when you weigh everyday carriage of firearms and the obvious penalties 

of exposing firearms to continually be in compliance with FCCL this is an attempt at 

destroying the broad protections of FCCL and the "safe" zone exemption. 

They do not define what constitutes an "unattended" vehicle. You could

not comply with this legislation because the glove box or center console have 

now been defined as not proper. Which means a person could face criminal sanctions

even with a locking or similar device. So taking your holstered weapon and 

putting it in the center console which locks? too bad - you will now face

a Class A Misdemeanor, the same as a DUI if you try that, even if you can

lock either the center console or glove box.

Even if you carry a firearm on your person you could still face criminal sanction,

because you will have no 'secure' place to store the weapon out of site because

you first have to expose the firearm (unholster) to put it into their approved

'safe' in a location other than glovebox or center console (trunk). 

Edited by crufflesmuth

On 3/17/2024 at 10:53 AM, crufflesmuth said:

That is companion legislation to this which I am evaluating: HB 5555. 

This is sponsored by Representative Mary Gill from Beverely. 

When I think of companion bills, I usually think of bills with identical language filed in the two separate chambers.  HB5555 is very different from HB3239.  Part of a larger, anti-gun agenda for sure but not really a companion to HB3239,

Bill Title: Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that if a concealed carry licensee leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm out of plain view in a safe or other secure container which, when locked, is incapable of being opened without the key, keypad, combination, or other unlocking mechanism and is capable of preventing an unauthorized person from obtaining access to and possession of the weapon contained therein and shall be fire, impact, and tamper resistant.

There is no way comply with the requirements.

On 3/17/2024 at 9:38 PM, mab22 said:

Bill Title: Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that if a concealed carry licensee leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm out of plain view in a safe or other secure container which, when locked, is incapable of being opened without the key, keypad, combination, or other unlocking mechanism and is capable of preventing an unauthorized person from obtaining access to and possession of the weapon contained therein and shall be fire, impact, and tamper resistant.

There is no way comply with the requirements.

Fire resistant?  How in the world do we get a "fire resistant safe" in a car?  I'm not even aware of a fire resistant car safe.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:28 PM, cnwfan3 said:

I'm pretty sure they won't look at it that way.  As mab22 pointed out, they are making it impossible to comply with the law.

I would equate it to only being able to own “plasma rifles, which have a range of 35 watts or less.” 

I don’t want to give the ID 10 T’s any help, so I won’t point out too much. 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:43 PM, davel501 said:

Aren't all metal containers fire resistant? Well not magnesium, but you get the idea. 

Any container that is nonflammable is considered fire resistant, metal will burn at some point but is clearly fire resistant to all but Illinois Supreme Court Judges.

Just keep a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap your firearm in it, aluminum ABSOLUTELY will not burn.  

On 3/17/2024 at 11:28 PM, cnwfan3 said:

I'm pretty sure they won't look at it that way.  As mab22 pointed out, they are making it impossible to comply with the law.

I'm saying knock off the hyperbole and focus on the real objectionable parts. It's not hard to find a cheap lock box that claims to meet the needs of the law. 

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Pistols-Fireproof-Combination-Travel/dp/B09ZH6LWSL

On 3/18/2024 at 7:40 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Any container that is nonflammable is considered fire resistant, metal will burn at some point but is clearly fire resistant to all but Illinois Supreme Court Judges.

Just keep a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap your firearm in it, aluminum ABSOLUTELY will not burn.  

Wrapping in foil won't work.

Besides what happens when aluminum reaches 4200F + degrees?

when locked, is incapable of being opened without the key, keypad, combination, or other unlocking mechanism

when locked, is incapable of being opened without the key, keypad, combination, or other unlocking mechanism

On 3/18/2024 at 11:59 AM, mab22 said:

Wrapping in foil won't work.

Besides what happens when aluminum reaches 4200F + degrees?

Steel melts at around 2600 deg F. depending on type. At 4200 the car and any other steel in it would melt.

Metal Melting Temperatures of Common Engineering Materials (engineersedge.com)

On 3/18/2024 at 7:44 AM, davel501 said:

I'm saying knock off the hyperbole and focus on the real objectionable parts. It's not hard to find a cheap lock box that claims to meet the needs of the law. 

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Pistols-Fireproof-Combination-Travel/dp/B09ZH6LWSL

Product Dimensions19.68"D x 20.47"W x 35.23"H. It is too big to hide under a seat. It would have to go in the trunk, or under the spare tire cover in an SUV.

It has no cable to decrease the chance of the box being stolen. I know that with the right tool the cable on other boxes can be cut.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:03 PM, Quiet Observer said:

Product Dimensions19.68"D x 20.47"W x 35.23"H. It is too big to hide under a seat. It would have to go in the trunk, or under the spare tire cover in an SUV.

It has no cable to decrease the chance of the box being stolen. I know that with the right tool the cable on other boxes can be cut.

If I want it. It's mine.

Packout Insert for M18 Fuel 4 1/2 Paddle Switch Angle Grinder MAG image 1