Fraction of 1% of FOID card holders register banned guns in first week

Molly B.

On 10/25/2023 at 8:25 AM, RandyP said:

I expect that the two weeks prior to January will see massive activity. The court cases that were 'hoped' to resolve this unconstitutional mess in our favor have not as yet yielded any positive results as they move through the system at the pace of a dead snail. I personally am not optimistic that we wil prevail, but as always hope springs eternal.

I'm not sure what to do - the law abiding model citizen gun owner in me wants to wait until the last couple weeks and then make my decision *BUT* I'm pretty sure *everyone* is doing the same thing and the System will crash making Hundreds of thousands of Felons in Illinois in 2024.

I feel like I'm living in a third world nation. How can this be happening in America?

VooDoo

Edited by Vodoun da Vinci

On 10/25/2023 at 7:03 AM, steveTA84 said:

At this rate, if it even reaches 3% on compliance by 12/31/23 I’ll be shocked.

So... as of the release of these numbers, only 2,046 FOID holders have disclosed they own something that needs to be registered under the new law.

Is there an estimate of the percentage of FOID holders who have something that requires registration? 

Would 3% of all FOID holders (72,000) be close to 100% of FOID holders who own one or more items that require registration? My guess is no.

Cheers,

Tim

One thing to consider is if we don't register our banned guns and we take them to a shooting range and we get pulled over by police for whatever reasons and the officer sees all the rifle cases..can he do a computer check to see if they are registered and if they see that they aren't can they confiscate them and charge you?

On 10/26/2023 at 1:09 PM, 22cal said:

One thing to consider is if we don't register our banned guns and we take them to a shooting range and we get pulled over by police for whatever reasons and the officer sees all the rifle cases..can he do a computer check to see if they are registered and if they see that they aren't can they confiscate them and charge you?

How many times have you been puller over by the ISP which are the virtually only ones that are going to enforce this and decide to mouth off to them so they search your vehicle?

I'm old and I've hit double 0's, I'm really not that worried. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:09 PM, 22cal said:

Practice on private land.......the chair is against the wall

Everyone needs to make his/her own choices. But for me, choosing to defy The Law and thus define myself as a Felon? Not sure I can do that. There are all kinds of alleged Ways to cheat the law/system but if you screw up - yer a Felon. I'm still not convinced that the obtuse and confusing verbiage in this bill/now law is because the people responsible are stupid. I think they are gonna hose US.

A miscalculation and misjudgment could land me in prison for quite some time. Odds are it won't happen *but* the idea of being a Felon by my own choices? Mmmmmmm....

VooDoo

On 10/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

Everyone needs to make his/her own choices. But for me, choosing to defy The Law and thus define myself as a Felon? Not sure I can do that. There are all kinds of alleged Ways to cheat the law/system but if you screw up - yer a Felon. I'm still not convinced that the obtuse and confusing verbiage in this bill/now law is because the people responsible are stupid. I think they are gonna hose US.

A miscalculation and misjudgment could land me in prison for quite some time. Odds are it won't happen *but* the idea of being a Felon by my own choices? Mmmmmmm....

VooDoo

Yeppers - I will turn 75 when this new infringement takes effect. I'm too old and wore out to do any "time" and Social Security won't cover the costs involved in defending myself in court. My choices are fleeing Illiniois or complying.......... so from a realistic standpoint, complying. Just like the grabbers intended.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

VooDoo

I don't think you'd be a felon by your own choices alone. You /we got screwed into this. It's more like give up God given Constitutional rights OR be a felon. This is a very personal decision and I respect whatever each person wants to do. My two cents is this..... for anyone wishing to register make sure you are 100% ok with possibly getting a letter from the ISP instructing you to turn over your items or face serious penalties. At that stage having them outside your home to move them out of state may not be an option. Make sure you can stomach casing them up and dropping them off in order to comply with a communist liberal agenda. God forbid we have a POS maniac pull an attack like Maine is experiencing and if we do after 1 / 1 / 24 nearly every Democrat and all the RINOs in the state will be pushing for confiscation.

When Chicago had their registration I wonder what the compliance rate was then?  Why does no one who claim to be on our side not bring up the fact this law doesn't apply to the gang banging worthless pieces of **** that actually shoot and kill people?  Illinois has ZERO republicans with balls larger than a pea.  

On 10/27/2023 at 6:49 AM, RandyP said:

Yeppers - I will turn 75 when this new infringement takes effect. I'm too old and wore out to do any "time" and Social Security won't cover the costs involved in defending myself in court. My choices are fleeing Illiniois or complying.......... so from a realistic standpoint, complying. Just like the grabbers intended.

Free food, housing, and healthcare, at a minimum security resort really doesn't sound so bad. 

It's going to be a tough choice to make,for sure. I really don't see them putting scores of people in prison for this,especially senior citizens with no prior criminal record. The optics would be for sure negative.Hope I'm wrong. FYI-I'm just a young punk[70] and at/approaching the IDGAF stage of my life.

I was looking at the discloser on my foid. I wonder how many Disclosers were rejected and what happens when there rejected?

Will we see rejections of disclosers after Jan 1st.

It would seem to me that the discloser is not a automatic thing, They have the option to reject it?

Edited by kevin525
added

On 10/30/2023 at 4:01 PM, kevin525 said:

I was looking at the discloser on my foid. I wonder how many Disclosers were rejected and what happens when there rejected?

Will we see rejections of disclosers after Jan 1st.

It would seem to me that the discloser is not a automatic thing, They have the option to reject it?

???????? - No idea. Did you register things that were rejected? The whole thing is a convoluted mess so nothing would surprise me.

VooDoo

On 10/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

???????? - No idea. Did you register things that were rejected? The whole thing is a convoluted mess so nothing would surprise me.

VooDoo

No i didn't register anything. i bought a new pistol and was checking my new foid expiration date. i was just looking around and they have this posted on the discloser page. "Weapons listed and marked Rejected may be edited and disclosed again for an additional review."

On 10/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, jackinelgin said:

It's going to be a tough choice to make,for sure. I really don't see them putting scores of people in prison for this,especially senior citizens with no prior criminal record. The optics would be for sure negative.Hope I'm wrong. FYI-I'm just a young punk[70] and at/approaching the IDGAF stage of my life.

My greatest concern, being as I have multiple firearms that are now apparently illegal, is that if I don't register and get caught and get charged with multiple felonies, it'll cost me tens of thousands in legal fees. That and the fact that I hate criminals....people have choices in Life. They may not be good choices but you get to choose if yer going to be a criminal or play by the rules no matter how skewed.

"Don't do the crime if you cant do the time" choosing to not register and break the law makes me a potential felon. Registering takes away my 5th amendment Right to not incriminate myself. This whole thing seems like end game for owning semi automatic weapons in Illinois. It seems as if it was built to punish 2A Aficionados.

VooDoo

On 10/30/2023 at 4:37 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

"Don't do the crime if you cant do the time" choosing to not register and break the law makes me a potential felon.

Are you a criminal?

You are taking a chance if you don't register.

You are taking a different chance if you do register.

You have choices in Life.

Only you can make this choice.

No one can convince you to go one way or the other.

You talk about it frequently on a public forum though...

You should wait until the week before Christmas and just get it over with.

No one will think less of you if you do, and no one will think "how brave" if you don't.

Or do it tonight if you want, but something new might be presented near the end. You never know.

Cheers,

Tim

Years ago, during discussions on the RFP on the FOID database, IL legislative staffers were positive that they knew everyone who owned a gun in IL because an IL resident had to buy all their guns in IL and needed to run any guns they brought to IL through the ISP.  Really, they weren't kidding and it was a mountain they seemed to be willing to die on.  So my guess is the state of IL has absolutely no idea how many of anything or any type is actually in the state of IL.  

On 10/30/2023 at 6:05 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

Years ago, during discussions on the RFP on the FOID database, IL legislative staffers were positive that they knew everyone who owned a gun in IL because an IL resident had to buy all their guns in IL and needed to run any guns they brought to IL through the ISP.  Really, they weren't kidding and it was a mountain they seemed to be willing to die on.  So my guess is the state of IL has absolutely no idea how many of anything or any type is actually in the state of IL.

😡 🤬 And there is no reason they SHOULD know ! :devil:

Edited by JTHunter

So my guess is the state of IL has absolutely no idea how many of anything or any type is actually in the state of IL.

When is the last time you saw a genuine G.I. 1911 at a gun show or store?????........I can't remember.

How many millions of that pistol did they make? They don't even know because we were pumping them out so hard during the war we couldn't keep track. 

My point is they didn't all disappear......most likely they are in people's private collections just waiting for the day they have to defend American Freedom once again, and this is only one single model of gun. How many times over the last 20 years (especially during heated election years) do you guys remember seeing news articles that "Over the last 6 weeks Americans bought enough firearms to arm an entire branch of the US Military"........Bottom line is there are sooooooo many civilian owned guns in America that its laughable to think they have any real power over us as a whole.

Heck remember that time they couldn't even handle a bunch of kids who showed up for a free Playstation. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/04/nyregion/union-square-kai-cenat-twitch-giveaway.html

On 10/31/2023 at 10:40 AM, yurimodin said:

When is the last time you saw a genuine G.I. 1911 at a gun show or store?????........I can't remember.

How many millions of that pistol did they make? They don't even know because we were pumping them out so hard during the war we couldn't keep track. 

My point is they didn't all disappear......most likely they are in people's private collections just waiting for the day they have to defend American Freedom once again, and this is only one single model of gun. How many times over the last 20 years (especially during heated election years) do you guys remember seeing news articles that "Over the last 6 weeks Americans bought enough firearms to arm an entire branch of the US Military"........Bottom line is there are sooooooo many civilian owned guns in America that its laughable to think they have any real power over us as a whole.

Heck remember that time they couldn't even handle a bunch of kids who showed up for a free Playstation. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/04/nyregion/union-square-kai-cenat-twitch-giveaway.html

Approximately 2.5 million, I've seen even a Singer made once (this one not for sale) a whole lot of them are "Frankensteins" but they still work ;) (as well as a military spec 1911(a) does) 

Even if you bought it yesterday, all they know is that it was a handgun, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, etc. If they want to know more, they have to physically get their hands on the 4473's. 

On 10/31/2023 at 12:11 PM, countyline said:

Even if you bought it yesterday, all they know is that it was a handgun, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, etc. If they want to know more, they have to physically get their hands on the 4473's. 

Just because they made the call doesn't mean you actually bought it either, the ISP still has to get a warrant (unlike the ATF) to look at a FFL's book. 

I guess if they find a friendly judge and a bunch of ISP with nothing to do, because this all would be very time consuming. 

On 10/31/2023 at 12:44 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Just because they made the call doesn't mean you actually bought it either, the ISP still has to get a warrant (unlike the ATF) to look at a FFL's book. 

I guess if they find a friendly judge and a bunch of ISP with nothing to do, because this all would be very time consuming. 

I think they added something in the dealer licensing act that shut down a bunch of FFL's that include them having free access to the federal forms. I could be remembering wrong.

On 10/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, Hatchet said:

I think they added something in the dealer licensing act that shut down a bunch of FFL's that include them having free access to the federal forms. I could be remembering wrong.

I'd like to hear from a FFL on that and does it mean they have access to records PRIOR to that passing/renewed license?

On 11/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, max503 said:

I was always meaning to buy an AR but never got around to it.  Seriously.  Something more useful, to me, always caught my eye.  

IL banned virtually every semi-auto rifle and many semi-auto shotguns.  Not just ARs and AKs.  

This is what has me worried the most.  I know people who didn't think they had banned guns because the guns they had were not ARs or AKs.  

On 11/1/2023 at 3:34 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

This is what has me worried the most.  I know people who didn't think they had banned guns because the guns they had were not ARs or AKs.  

My advice? Don’t tell them. They’re obviously not paying attention and will probably register then. Just like the Covid shots, the more numbers they get from afraid people (like ones who were gonna lose their jobs so they submitted) the more the resistors get targeted. I get spiteful now over people who roll over to tyrannical laws. Would they register there religious affiliation with the state if the state was specifically targeting a certain denomination? Better after the fact when the registry closes, then they have skin in the game. At that point, they can get them out of state to store them. Further, Pritzker admin leaks indicate they’re gonna “close the ownership loophole” and go after people who registered. Why even bother, unless you want a letter/visit from the ISP stating gotta hand them

over 

Edited by steveTA84

On 10/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, Hatchet said:

I remember something like that. Thats why they are not to be trusted. They’ve been paying the foundation for what they’te after.