Fraction of 1% of FOID card holders register banned guns in first week

Molly B.

On 1/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, mab22 said:

Although, I suspect they would say 🖕we posted it on the website and it’s good enough for the plebs. Wonder what a judge would think 🤔.

The requirement is not just "public notice" (which putting it on the website might be sufficient for) but the law also requires "public outreach" which they have not done.

Additionally, 720 ILCS 5/24-1.9 (g) requires them to have done it by October 1, 2023.

They just arrested someone here for AUUW, residential burglary, and one of the guns they caught this guy with is a banned item under PICA. SA did not charge for failure to register. He's not on the list of SAs who refuse to enforce it so color me intrigued. Possibly recognizes the self-incrimination issue? 🤔

2.4 million people do not own assault weapons.

The way they've defined "assault weapons" it's actually difficult not to own one, if you own any guns.  

Don't miss the big headline.  You can't buy an assault weapon in Illinois.

C'mon Mr. Governor, just like the gang bangers in Chicago can't buy full auto.  You know better than that.

On 1/17/2024 at 1:56 PM, skinnyb82 said:

They just arrested someone here for AUUW, residential burglary, and one of the guns they caught this guy with is a banned item under PICA. SA did not charge for failure to register. He's not on the list of SAs who refuse to enforce it so color me intrigued. Possibly recognizes the self-incrimination issue? 🤔

Can you provide a link of some sort? This is interesting 

On 1/17/2024 at 2:50 PM, mauserme said:

The way they've defined ""assault weapons"" it's actually difficult not to own one, if you own any guns.  

C'mon Mr. Governor, just like the gang bangers in Chicago can't buy full auto.  You know better than that.

“Not many people have "assault weapons". They’re expensive”

441FC589-70A6-4806-B7B6-AE1AB08B5A04.thumb.jpeg.8b1fe437169a5ce09a6b788580ec87a9.jpeg

On 1/17/2024 at 3:09 PM, steveTA84 said:

Can you provide a link of some sort? This is interesting 

Check your messages. My county (and city) is/are so small I'd be effectively doxxing myself by posting the link here because it's VERY specific. 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:56 PM, skinnyb82 said:

There is no failure to "register", there is disclosure through filing an affidavit and there could potentially be not just self-incrimination, but ambiguity as well. State Attorneys have a wide range of discretion on whether or not to prosecute, so it's not purely self-incrimination. 

When the Governor comments the registry is, or will be working the way it "should" what he really means is himself and other

public officials in addition to the Illinois State Police will, through qualified immunity: lie at will continuously to members of the public,

whether in printed, written or oral form.

They do not care. 

The reality is Don Harmon, Emmanuel Welch and other members of the progressive caucus did not have patience.

They rammed this legislation through.

The Deadline is still January 1st, 2024. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out lying. In a sense, the governor is right: the registry will 

work the way it should be: if you disclose/register through affidavit after January 1st, 2024 you could possibly face criminal sanctions and 

serious prison time. It's not worth it. Don't do it.

Those who have qualified immunity not only can lie with impunity, they

face no real consequence whether financially or otherwise even if they're caught through

deprivation of civil rights.

The Illinois State Police at minimum should have taken the "disclosure" option from the FOID portal down at 

this point. The governor does not care. The people who drafted and passed this law, do not care. Neither

do most of the state police.

The object is enforcing the law even if that means putting people in prison.

Edited by crufflesmuth

On 1/17/2024 at 8:24 PM, crufflesmuth said:

The object is enforcing the law even if that means putting people in prison.

I'm not sure how you accomplish that when you have the majority of sheriffs departments refusing to enforce it, the majority of city PD refusing to enforce it, SAs, some of whom HATE guns (mine included, but he's not a fool when it comes to constitutional issues) who refuse to arrest, charge people, house them in their jails. Who's gonna do the legwork? Where are they gonna house people who get charged with violating it if no sheriff south and west of Chicago will house someone who's been arrested for a simple PICA violation? Special AG Department task force with all of the money that Illinois is just rolling in? They would still have to house you in the county jail. The one run by the sheriff who said "I will house no one in my jail for simple PICA violations?" They do not intend on enforcing this. At all. Look at how jazzed ISP is about all of this. ISP legal has no idea how any of this works, ISP brass doesn't seem enthused either I've talked to two troopers who have said they wouldn't arrest anyone who they find with a "banned item." Just tell you to take it back home with you. Now, when you have the people who answer to Pritzker refusing to enforce the law, who's gonna do it? No one...except maybe that cop who's having a really bad day or you run into someone who blindly follows orders but the odds of that get very slim the further west and south of Chicago you are. This is about control. Pritzker and Harmon and Morrison and Morgan and all of them want you to know that you're under their thumb. They cannot realistically enforce this, minus some token prosecution to "send a message."

On 1/17/2024 at 3:10 PM, steveTA84 said:

“Not many people have ""assault weapons"". They’re expensive”

His Majesty thinks $400 is too much for his peasants to cough up for an ""assault weapon"". Again, this bag of garbage never stops being a pompous ***hole. Just because everyones mommy and daddy didn't leave enough money to buy governor spots and bribe liberal scum judges doesn't mean we're all broke.

While it may feel like the "majority" of various police officials say that they won't enforce the law, in reality population wise, they only represent a minority of the state.  You have not heard anyone from Cook County say that.  9.5 million out of the 12.6 million residents live in the Chicago metro area.  DuPage and Will counties only make up about 1.5 million of that 9.5 million.  I am not saying there will or won't be an enforcement push - just that don't confuse a bunch of officers south of I 80 and Rockford west as being the majority of the state.  

On 1/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, G214me said:

His Majesty thinks $400 is too much for his peasants to cough up for an """assault weapon""". Again, this bag of garbage never stops being a pompous ***hole. Just because everyones mommy and daddy didn't leave enough money to buy governor spots and bribe liberal scum judges doesn't mean we're all broke.

The same racist believes that black people don't have the ability to source a state ID for themselves that could be used at a voting booth.  

On 1/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, mikew said:

Respectfully, I don't think this is banned.

You're right. I went looking for a pistol with a threaded barrel but found a rifle for cheaper. Threaded barrel only matters for pistols. You could attach a cheap flash hider and still have a cheap "aSSaULt  WeaPOn" for under $200 though. 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, Trevis said:

Says right on the page, threaded barrel. That’s in PICA.

It also has a magazine that could be modified to hold additional rounds.

ANY semi-auto firearm magazine could be modified to accept more rounds, if you pay me I'll make a modified 10/22 but it'll be a PITA. 

On 1/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

It also has a magazine that could be modified to hold additional rounds.

ANY semi-auto firearm magazine could be modified to accept more rounds, if you pay me I'll make a modified 10/22 but it'll be a PITA. 

That's only fixed magazines. They offer lots of 10/22 options from the factory with thumbhole stocks though. I'm not sure how that does what they think it does.

(1) ""assault weapon"" means any of the following, except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection:
        (A) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to

accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine, if the firearm has one or more of the following:

(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
            (ii) any feature capable of functioning as a

protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

(iii) a folding, telescoping, thumbhole, or

detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability of, the weapon;

(iv) a flash suppressor;
            (v) a grenade launcher;
            (vi) a shroud attached to the barrel or that

partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:31 AM, davel501 said:

You're right. I went looking for a pistol with a threaded barrel but found a rifle for cheaper. Threaded barrel only matters for pistols. You could attach a cheap flash hider and still have a cheap "aSSaULt  WeaPOn" for under $200 though. 

If you read the "clarification", a threaded barrel is an "assault weapons" attachment... 

https://isp.illinois.gov/Home/AssaultWeapons  Section 15

On 1/18/2024 at 11:31 AM, davel501 said:

What if I jam a potato on the end, will that make a scary “a** ault” weapon?

On 1/18/2024 at 2:52 PM, Upholder said:

The FAQ is not law.  The law references threaded barrels in exactly one place, which is in relation to pistols:

image.png.a45d80d5791e3047665212af3f75688e.png

I know that...   you know that...   however, that doesn't mean that if you are "caught" with one, that they won't charge you, take it from you, seize the rest of your guns and you never get them back.  Leftists live by the motto..  "screw em all...   let the courts sort it out. (which we bought and paid for... so GOOD LUCK!)"