Mini 14 ranch legal?

russ60477

The list of weapons banned with the new bill include:

• Semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine
  • If the firearm has one or more:
    • Pistol grip, or thumbhole stock
    • Any feature functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by a non-trigger hand
    • A folding, telescoping, thumbhole or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable to help the weapon be more easily concealed
    • A flash suppressor
    • A grenade launcher
    • A shroud that attaches to the barrel to allow someone to hold it with their non-trigger hand without being burned
  • A semiautomatic rifle with a mixed magazine that can accept 10 or more rounds, except for an attached tubular device only capable of accepting .22 caliber rimfire ammunition
  • A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine or can be modified to accept one, if the firearm has one or more of the following:
    • A threaded barrel
    • A second pistol grip that can be held by a non-trigger hand
    • A shroud that attaches to the barrel to allow someone to hold it with their non-trigger hand without being burned
    • A flash suppressor
    • The ability to accept a detachable magazine somewhere outside of the pistol grip
    • A device that allows the firearm to be fired from the shoulder
  • A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 15 rounds
  • Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder
  • A semiautomatic shotgun that has any of the following features:
    • Any feature functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by a non-trigger hand
    • A folding or thumbhole stock
    • A grenade launcher
    • A fixed magazine with the capacity of more than five rounds
    • The ability to accept a detachable magazine
  • Any semiautomatic firearm that can accept a belt ammunition feeding device
  • Any firearm that has been modified to work in any way described throughout this list
  • Any part or combination of parts designed to convert a firearm into such a weapon throughout this list

VooDoo

On 9/21/2023 at 9:43 AM, davel501 said:

Yeah, looks like you are going to get hung up on the detachable magazine and that the fore-end of the stock attaches to the barrel. The specs say capacity is 5 rounds so it might just sail through the process too.

I think the barrel is attached to the furniture in the manner of a traditional rifle, as opposed to...

"A shroud that attaches to the barrel to allow someone to hold it with their non-trigger hand without being burned"

Cheers,

Tim

On 9/21/2023 at 9:59 AM, soundguy said:

I think the barrel is attached to the furniture in the manner of a traditional rifle, as opposed to...

"A shroud that attaches to the barrel to allow someone to hold it with their non-trigger hand without being burned"

Cheers,

Tim

I don't disagree - and therein lies the problem. Imagine sitting there trying to be calm while the judge, the state's attorney, and your lawyer try to figure out what any of this means.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:32 AM, davel501 said:

I don't disagree - and therein lies the problem. Imagine sitting there trying to be calm while the judge, the state's attorney, and your lawyer try to figure out what any of this means.

And that alone makes this Unconstitutional imho, as it is so vague and open to interpretation on that alone.

For what it's worth, I looked at the list back when this pile-o-dung was first signed by The Fat One because I may or may not have such an item. I also may or may not have purchased one of those scary black plastic Archangel stocks for it quite a number of years ago.  MY INTERPRETATION at the time was that if the metal bits remain in the original wooden stock, it's not on the list of "named" items. If however I was to put the metal bits into the scary black plastic stock for purposes of, oh, I don't know, posing on social media platforms looking all big and bad, it IS on the list.  Waddacluster.

I agree with the other guys - my interpretation means precisely squat when in front of a judge. 

For now, my plan is to enjoy the reality that I, like most, live within an hour of a free state and have arrangements to locate any scary items or accessories out of state - not such a stretch as I do all shooting of such items heck and gone from this place.  Of course, I also buy my ammo, gas, etc. when I'm on the other side of the line - Law(s) of Unintended Consequences and all. Democrats be dam(n)ed.

Now, is that scary black plastic Archangel stock a banned accessory, subject to confiscation..er..registration if I have nothing to put in it?  Hmmm?!? 

The argument put forward by those who say the Mini-14 Ranch is legal is that it isn't specifically listed, which the Mini-14 Tactical is. It's not a valid argument. There are lots of banned firearms that aren't listed.

The "specific list" isn't a definitive list. It's just a list of every firearm they could think to name, dog piled from every other list every other gun-grabber could think to name.

For the Mini-14, all models, semi-auto + detachable magazine = banned.

If you can get someone to transfer one to you, have at it, but don't expect it.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:38 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

The list of weapons banned with the new bill include:

• Semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine
    • A folding, telescoping, thumbhole or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable to help the weapon be more easily concealed
    • A flash suppressor
    • A grenade launcher
  • A semiautomatic rifle with a mixed magazine that can accept 10 or more rounds, except for an attached tubular device only capable of accepting .22 caliber rimfire ammunition
  • A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine or can be modified to accept one, if the firearm has one or more of the following:
    • A threaded barrel
    • A second pistol grip that can be held by a non-trigger hand
    • A flash suppressor
    • The ability to accept a detachable magazine somewhere outside of the pistol grip
    • A device that allows the firearm to be fired from the shoulder
  • A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 15 rounds
  • Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder
  • A semiautomatic shotgun that has any of the following features:
    • A folding or thumbhole stock
    • A grenade launcher
    • A fixed magazine with the capacity of more than five rounds
    • The ability to accept a detachable magazine
  • Any semiautomatic firearm that can accept a belt ammunition feeding device
  • Any firearm that has been modified to work in any way described throughout this list
  • Any part or combination of parts designed to convert a firearm into such a weapon throughout this list

VooDoo

Your list is inaccurate.  he Law passed, the first two items are NOT 2 separate items.

As signed into public act:

A it applies to rifles

(1) "Assault weapon" means any of the following, except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable

magazine, if the firearm has one or more of the following:

(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;

(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

(iii) a folding, telescoping, thumbhole, or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates

to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability of, the weapon;

(iv) a flash suppressor;

(v) a grenade launcher;

(vi) a shroud attached to the barrel or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the

non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.

(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubula

device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire  ammunition

NOW, since more than 10 round magazines are also outlawed for rifles, any rifle that passed above, i.e. NOT an 'assault weapon' WITH a more than 10 round magazine would then become an 'Assault weapon'.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, cybermgk said:

Your list is inaccurate.  he Law passed, the first two items are NOT 2 separate items.

As signed into public act:

A it applies to rifles

(1) "Assault weapon" means any of the following, except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable

magazine, if the firearm has one or more of the following:

(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;

(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

(iii) a folding, telescoping, thumbhole, or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates

to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability of, the weapon;

(iv) a flash suppressor;

(v) a grenade launcher;

(vi) a shroud attached to the barrel or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the

non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.

(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubula

device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire  ammunition

NOW, since more than 10 round magazines are also outlawed for rifles, any rifle that passed above, i.e. NOT an 'assault weapon' WITH a more than 10 round magazine would then become an 'Assault weapon'.

I think he posted the same list as you did (just eyeballing the two) but just didn't take time to format it nicely.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, Euler said:

The argument put forward by those who say the Mini-14 Ranch is legal is that it isn't specifically listed, which the Mini-14 Tactical is. It's not a valid argument. There are lots of banned firearms that aren't listed.

The "specific list" isn't a definitive list. It's just a list of every firearm they could think to name, dog piled from every other list every other gun-grabber could think to name.

If you can get someone to transfer one to you, have at it, but don't expect it.

NO idea how the law will be enforced.

But, I don't agree with your logic.

SPECIALLY this "For the Mini-14, all models, semi-auto + detachable magazine = banned."  That just isn't in the law.

The Tactical is listed seperate, because it definately is an 'assault weapon' as per law, as it is a semi auot rifle, that can take a detachable magazie AND has one of the horrid features, a flash suppressor, at a minimum.  One SKU also has an adjustable stock AND pistol grip.  They all have a heat shield above the barrel, that could be argued to be a shroud, but that is moot after the flash suppressorPOSSIBLY it could be argued to ..

On 9/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, davel501 said:

I think he posted the same list as you did (just eyeballing the two) but just didn't take time to format it nicely.

He did, but by having

That misleads, saying first ANY semi auto that can take detachable mag is banned, and then also any firearm with the following bad features, which is very misleading.  Syntax matters here

Like that, a bolt action with a pistol grip would be banned.

Edited by cybermgk

• 3 months later...

the wooden panel on the M1 carbine is not a barrel shroud according to the 'helps' on the ISP website. The M1 carbine is identified as not falling under the PICA rules.
Using a 10-round magazine would not render a firearm that would otherwise fall under the program exempt.

https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles/docs/Home/AssaultWeapons/PICA Identification Guide.pdf

Following the rules, my friends Marlin 795 (.22cal semi-auto) is an assault rifle due to the fact that it's 1). semi-auto, 2). has a detachable box magazine, and 3). has a thumbhole stock.

Edited by rmart

No, what I'm saying is that you can't make a banned firearm legal by using a smaller magazine.

I'll admit that the rules are confusing. You don't have to register the firearm and you can use larger capacity magazines provided you owned them before 1/1/23.

You can keep them loaded at home or at the range but you must transport them unloaded. 

Edited by rmart

On 9/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, Euler said:

IMO, the Ruger M-14 Ranch is perfectly legal to own under PICA. The Mini-14 Tactical is not because of the features and because it was actually listed under PICA. What is the difference between the Ruger 10/22 wood stock 10rd magazine, that ISP said is legal w/no modifications, to the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch besides the caliber? An argument has been made saying a small shroud around the base of the barrel makes it illegal. If that is accurate, it is illegal. But if ISP does not consider that to be a shroud under the PICA definitions, then it should be legal.

We have a top 10 distributor in IL, named Zanders. They agree with Euler, their reasoning is that the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch is a copy or altered facsimile. They referenced this to me: (J) All of the following rifles, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon:

PS: Who the F' was able to find 12ga while registering their weapon 😂. I listed the caliber under "other" 🤦‍♂️

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, russ60477 said:

Well my FFL won't accept it l,so I was able to cancel the order but I did find it for sale at anumber of dealers here around me . Of course it's about 300 more vs online  but you can still get one.

The ranch doesn't have any of the evil features and legal. They can't call it a machine gun. My FFL said is legal and I bought it online. Find an FFL that doesn't go above and beyond what the law says and creates more gun control and don't listen to internet experts. Even in California you can buy compliant AR-15. Illinois has become the last in the nation in everything, with the strictest gun laws and most shootings. Way to go Illinois giving the criminals the upper hand with switches and releasing them without bail while restricting the law abiding to pump action rifles and shotguns.

About two years ago I had a local gun shop refuse to sell me an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine because their store manager said it fell within the """assault weapon""" ban. Okay fine - I don't argue with stores, I vote with my wallet. I went online with my C&R and bought a WWII vintage REAL one for about $300 less. Shoots great and IS a piece of living history.

Edited by RandyP
Punctuation error.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:28 AM, John J said:

So they have banned all semi automatic rifles which can be used for self defense. Are any semi automatic rifles besides antiques with fixed magazines legal?

I and many others have bought a 10/22 from Bass Pro / Cabela's after PICA. They may be the most paranoid retailer in Illinois. 

Everything I’ve read for many months indicates at least the old-school wood stock mini 14 with lower capacity magazine is legal. I have not tried purchasing that however. 

• 1 month later...