Upcoming ISP "Assault Weapons" registration on October 1st, 2023

george13

Since we all know that Illinois State Police registration of existing owners of assault weapons (how they stupidly call ARs/AKs/etc) will start on October 1st, 2023 and I have two questions:

1. If anyone heard - will they register AR stripped lower receivers or only fully built AR?

2. Will it be considered illegal if I for example buy in another state upper receiver and lower built kit and finish AR build?

Hopefully we all won't need to register our toys in this tyrant state of IL. It's really stupid - we already registered them on federal level.

Let's Go Brandons!!! (Biden and Pritzker)

On August 2, 2023 at 03:33 PM, steveTA84 said:
A memo circulating online confirmed to The Center Square by Illinois State Police said additional requirements of Illinois' Protect Illinois Communities Act, the state's ban on certain semi-automatic firearms and magazines, require people with not just the banned firearms, but "assault weapons attachments," to "have provided an endorsement affidavit signed under oath to the ISP no later than Jan. 1, 2024." Noncompliance could lead to criminal penalties.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:48 PM, Euler said:
A memo circulating online confirmed to The Center Square by Illinois State Police said additional requirements of Illinois' Protect Illinois Communities Act, the state's ban on certain semi-automatic firearms and magazines, require people with not just the banned firearms, but "assault weapons attachments," to "have provided an endorsement affidavit signed under oath to the ISP no later than Jan. 1, 2024." Noncompliance could lead to criminal penalties.

What the heck is an "assualt weapons attachment???"

On 8/16/2023 at 7:05 AM, bilder said:

Is there an actual procedure in place to do as they request us to comply?

I have not seen anything on the ISP website.

There will be another cluster for everyone that want to meet their request by the deadline.

There are people that want to meet the request? 

On 8/16/2023 at 8:23 AM, Trevis said:

When it’s a felony not to, and you have stuff to lose… 

You make choices every day on what is right and what is wrong and how much risk you will assume. 

If you study the Nuremberg trials the common defense was I was doing what I was told/ordered (became known as the Nuremberg defense/Superior Orders defense)to do.  Just because you are ordered to do something, if it isn't legal, then you don't have to follow it. Does it mean that you will be free from consequences? Nope, as argued in the trial those soldiers/officers/defendants would of faced penalties by their superiors/government at the time if they hadn't followed the orders.  Yet, the court still ruled the defendants were wrong for following the orders. 

We all make choices and each person will have to decide. 

On 8/16/2023 at 9:03 AM, bmyers said:

You make choices every day on what is right and what is wrong and how much risk you will assume. 

If you study the Nuremberg trials the common defense was I was doing what I was told/ordered (became known as the Nuremberg defense/Superior Orders defense)to do.  Just because you are ordered to do something, if it isn't legal, then you don't have to follow it. Does it mean that you will be free from consequences? Nope, as argued in the trial those soldiers/officers/defendants would of faced penalties by their superiors/government at the time if they hadn't followed the orders.  Yet, the court still ruled the defendants were wrong for following the orders. 

We all make choices and each person will have to decide. 

You are, of course, correct. I think that applies to all the boys in blue who will enforce this new blatantly unconstitutional edict, as well. The one thing that is certain, at least for me, is this is more motivation to find a place other than Illinois to move to. 

On 8/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, Trevis said:

You are, of course, correct. I think that applies to all the boys in blue who will enforce this new blatantly unconstitutional edict, as well. The one thing that is certain, at least for me, is this is more motivation to find a place other than Illinois to move to. 

Having a plan is a good thing. I know I have family and friends that are just across the State line that have volunteered space in their gun safes until this whole mess passes. Still not giving up hope that this is resolved before anything else goes into effect.

This also includes your typical service sidearms. Got a Glock with a threaded barrel and compensator, that's now an "Assault" weapon. If the compensator was made or intended for the Glock, the "assault weapon attachment" clause could apply if you have one. It's worse with models like the CZ P10C series or any pistol coded specifically with "threaded barrel" in the UPC number. That's how broad reaching this will be. It's just not worth it. The state can work for their prosecution.

Edited by crufflesmuth

No gun registration program has been ruled unconstitutional as far as i know.

Could it be that its not. Maybe confiscating them might be. We don’t know yet. Im sure Illinois is working on that one.

. Folks have been telling me FOID is unconstitutional for over 50 years, really? Someone needs to tell everyone in power in Illinois. Maybe they didn’t get the memo. 

It doesn’t make any difference what we think, feel or are **** sure about. Until the last highest court rules on it, if ever, it constitutional. 

it sucks to have to deal with this in Illinois, but we all stay and keep

fighting and arguing. Hoping the courts save us. I don’t have a good feel about the future.

On 8/16/2023 at 12:13 PM, bmyers said:

Having a plan is a good thing. I know I have family and friends that are just across the State line that have volunteered space in their gun safes until this whole mess passes. Still not giving up hope that this is resolved before anything else goes into effect.

Wish I had friends over the state line...

• 1 month later...

I recall reading that when Connecticutt passed a law requiring the registration of AR's and other so-called "assault weapons" the compliance rate was only 5% of the number of those weapons that were estimated to be owned within that state, and that the state government actually did little or nothing to enforce the registration law. I have read nothing since about what has happened on that issue in that state. I wonder what the compliance rate will be here in Illinois. The lower it is, the harder the job of the State Police will be to enforce it. If most owners of banned weapons comply, then the police can focus on the small number non complying. Bad news all around even if as an individual you do not own any of the banned items and thus have no obligation to register anything. But it still means that if you ever might want one of those weapons, you would be out of luck here in Illinois.

My fear is that they have already picked/identified people who have a fairly large collection of what is now contraband firearms and are just drooling to make examples of them when they are not registered or registered properly. The language of all this is convoluted and deliberately confusing. These people are *not* (the people enacting this legislation) stupid. The idea of me, a model citizen and taxpayer, becoming a Felon on January 2nd instantly, simply because I did nothing but possess firearms  I have possessed for years quite frankly both frightens and saddens me. I can't win.

My fear is that when we register we create a database for when they confiscate and that if we don't register we become (potentially/in my opinion) a target to be charged with Class 3 Felonies and liquidated financially.

As stated by others - this has been a long time coming and I have a very bad feeling about where it's going.

VooDoo

Edited by Vodoun da Vinci

On 10/2/2023 at 8:43 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

My fear is that they have already picked/identified people who have a fairly large collection of what is now contraband firearms and are just drooling to make examples of them when they are not registered or registered properly. The language of all this is convoluted and deliberately confusing. These people are *not* (the people enacting this legislation) stupid. The idea of me, a model citizen and taxpayer, becoming a Felon on January 2nd instantly, simply because I did nothing but possess firearms  I have possessed for years quite frankly both frightens and saddens me. I can't win.

My fear is that when we register we create a database for when they confiscate and that if we don't register we become (potentially/in my opinion) a target to be charged with Class 3 Felonies and liquidated financially.

As stated by others - this has been a long time coming and I have a very bad feeling about where it's going.

VooDoo

How do they know those people have not moved their firearms out of state?

Not everybody has that option. They don't need to catch them all. If they find contraband and prosecute even a fraction (say a few dozen) of them for multiple felonies I'd guess that watching these people get financially liquidated by the legal fees, fines, and loss of income due to jail time, the other thousands upon thousands who didn't register or have the option of moving their guns out of State will be sweating blood.

VooDoo

On 10/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

Not everybody has that option. They don't need to catch them all. If they find contraband and prosecute even a fraction (say a few dozen) of them for multiple felonies I'd guess that watching these people get financially liquidated by the legal fees, fines, and loss of income due to jail time, the other thousands upon thousands who didn't register or have the option of moving their guns out of State will be sweating blood.

VooDoo

They need probable cause to get a search warrant. If anyone has still has the banned items they would be wise to keep them out of view starting January 1st. An angry spouse or business associate would probably be the most likely way most of these reports will come in but some people will post stupid things on social media too. They still have to have probable cause to believe that the banned items are in your possession within the boundaries of the state.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

VooDoo

What would that accomplish?  If it's too late for that fraction to register, it's too late for the blood sweaters as well.

Are you saying the plan was actually to ruin gun owners?

On 10/2/2023 at 11:32 AM, mauserme said:

What would that accomplish?  If it's too late for that fraction to register, it's too late for the blood sweaters as well.

Are you saying the plan was actually to ruin gun owners?

In my opinion, yes. The Plan is so make examples of what happens when you own firearms that "they" say are not suitable. I'm willing to be wrong but the convoluted language and vagueness of "The Rules" I feel is deliberate to trip up as many Assault Weapon owners as possible and make examples of them. Yes, they want to portray gun owners and aficionados as The Bad Element.

IMO/YMMV.

VooDoo

On 10/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

In my opinion, yes. The Plan is so make examples of what happens when you own firearms that "they" say are not suitable. I'm willing to be wrong but the convoluted language and vagueness of "The Rules" I feel is deliberate to trip up as many Assault Weapon owners as possible and make examples of them. Yes, they want to portray gun owners and aficionados as The Bad Element.

IMO/YMMV.

VooDoo

Never attribute to deliberate actions or intent that which is easily explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Methinks you are reading way more intent into this than is actually there. This law was drafted by those completely ignorant of the subject matter and it clearly shows.