Poster Boy for U.S. Gun Control Movement Kills Himself in Jail

mauserme

I'm posting this for informational purposes.  Any suicide is sad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10174609/Founder-Americas-gun-control-movement-kills-prison-DU-charge.html

Poster boy for U.S. gun control movement kills himself in jail on DUI charge: Mark Glaze, 51, who helped Obama write policy and took on NRA 'was suffering from depression'

By ALASTAIR TALBOT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

A campaigner credited with helping found the modern gun control movement has killed himself in jail while being held on a DUI charge.

Mark Glaze died last month while being held at Lackawanna County Prison in Pennsylvania, with the 51 year-old's death announced in a New York Times story published Sunday.

Glaze, a father-of-one, is said to have been suffering from addiction and severe depression in the period leading up to his arrest and death.   

Glaze grew up in Colorado - with his father a hunter who was a member of the National Rifle Association. He qualified as a lawyer, and joined campaign group Mayors Against Guns in 2011 as a consultant, working alongside luminaries including Michael Bloomberg.

His campaigning intensified in the wake of ... Sandy Hook ...

Glaze provided blueprints for then-President Barack Obama's proposed reforms, which sought to ban assault weapons and expand background checks. But the bill was gradually killed by pressure from Democrat and Republican senators who feared upsetting the National Rifle Association.  

He was credited for inspiring protests against and boycotts of the NRA, which have been credited for plunging the organization into ongoing chaos.  

Prior to beginning his consulting practice in June 2014, Glaze served as executive director of Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention group in the county chaired by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Glaze's father, Mark Charles Glaze, was part of the N.R.A. and and owned a gun store in Colorado, while his mother, Nancy Green, was a homemaker. 

'If you had told me when I was growing up in the mountains of Colorado, shooting guns on the weekend with a dad who is an N.R.A. member and a gun dealer, that The Wall Street Journal would call me the face of the gun control movement, I'm not sure I would have believed you,' Mr. Glaze said in a video he made for Colorado College, his alma mater.

Imagine thinking of violence as a "winning issue".

The New York Times says it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/06/us/mark-glaze-influential-gun-control-advocate-dies-at-51.html

"As the executive director of Everytown for Gun Safety, he took on the National Rifle Association and helped make gun violence a winning issue."

On 11/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, mauserme said:

Imagine thinking of violence as a "winning issue".

The New York Times says it is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/06/us/mark-glaze-influential-gun-control-advocate-dies-at-51.html

"As the executive director of Everytown for Gun Safety, he took on the National Rifle Association and helped make gun violence a winning issue."

Maybe what he meant to say was "profitable."

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, 2A4Cook said:

Ban assault cars!!!  Ban gas tanks over 10 gallons!!  Ban mentally ill Dumbocrats from violating our Constitutional rights!!

No one needs a high-capacity utility vehicle designed for land assaults, equipped with a fully automatic transmission. With just one press of the pedal, hundreds will perish. And now, domestic terrorists have escalated by using electric motor power with instant torque to accelerate the killing power of their machines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It may sound callous but the death of any anti-2A activist is a good thing for freedom and liberty. The Left, i.e., Democrats, ultimate goal is the outlawing of privately owned firearms, period. Repeal of the 2A and/or increasingly onerous restrictions on law abiding gun owners is the Holy Grail for the Left, so compromise of any kind is just a moving of the chains closer to the goal line. The leaders of the anti-2A movement and those that fund this movement are our enemies, not colleagues with whom we have academic disagreements. I would cheer if I read of George Soros dropping dead, or being murdered, or being diagnosed with a fatal illness. Our Founding Fathers did not include the 2A in the Bill of Rights so that we were protected against anti-hunting zealots, or even just to preserve our ability to defend ourselves and our families. They specifically empowered the People to have the ability to change a tyrannical government. Those seeking to deprive us of our right to keep and bear arms want to be free to  impose any and all tyranny that they desire upon the People. When one of their activists dies, from any means, it is small victory for us. 

Vito - while I agree with your sentiments whole-heartedly, there are at least two "caveats" that should concern you.

The first is the death of this person.  While this may create a "temporary" hole, it is just that - "temporary".  There are very likely several people waiting in the wings, eager to take his place.

The second is that, at his current age, George Soros has passed a great many of his efforts to his son.  That legacy will continue unfortunately.  Even if that Jew-hating antique had no children, I have no doubt that he would have had provisions in place to fund organizations that would continue his destructive activities.

Archived