Ear protection

roundkot

I have both.....(HL and Walker razors)

My preference? The HL's... Walkers are for friends/guests...

While they both seem comparable for sound reduction, the HL's are simply better.

The sound is better... The razors are just 'noisy'....not as clear. If you compare the two..its night and day.. HL's for the win...bigtime.

HL's are STEREO.  Wth HL's you can perceive the direction of sounds. Razors are mono.  (This is the biggest reason I dont prefer them)

HL's have removable cups.  While I havent had a need to replace/change them, there is that option(?) (Can you 'buy' replacements/upgrades? I've never poked around for that answer....)

Razor cups are not removable.

I think if you had the opportunity to try both side by side?  You'd easily choose the HL's.

The only other reason I can see to choose the razors is that the cups seem deeper. If you 'need' deeper cups because you have ears like an elf and need to fold em over..then the razors could be a better choice... :D

They are either inherently slightly deeper...or my HL's are getting old and the cups are getting smooched(shrug))...but are still fine for me..

And Yes.. another vote for doubling up at indoor ranges. 

Its basically mandatory regardless of your choice of ear pro.

EDIT:

Oops.... Got em mixed up with the HL impact SPORT

So...scratch what I said....

Edited by MagSlap

I was using 33db passive peltors back in the 90s.   When suddenly in a crowded indoor range the plastic connectors that connect the headstrap to the cup broke on my right ear and my earpro came off.  

I was not doubling up. 

In the middle of the night all I hear is EeeeeEeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeEeeeeeeeeeeee

The Walkers Razors will work okay and I've used those, but if you have a bigger budget go with the Axil TRACKR electronic.  

On 11/14/2022 at 12:52 AM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

The Walkers Razors will work okay and I've used those, but if you have a bigger budget go with the Axil TRACKR electronic.  

I won't buy Axil's because: I ordered a pair and they showed shipping as 7-10 days. 10 days came and went and I still didn't have tracking. When I complained, I got tracking the next day. However, I was ordering these for a class and they came late. No big deal, that's not the deal breaker for me. When I got them, they were defective. They amplified my voice, but nobody else in the room. If I stepped outside, the sound of the cars down the street was deafening. Something is definitely wrong with the audio. Strike 2, but I understand poop happens. When i messaged Axil to return their defective item, they forced me to pay for shipping. Now I don't mind paying return shipping if I ordered the wrong product or something like that, but they should pay return shipping for a product defect. Strike 3, You're out, Axil. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/13/2022 at 3:08 PM, Scotty425 said:

I like the Walker's Razor slim electronic ear muffs, usually run around $60 give or take. 

I find that I have to double up my ear protection at an indoor range, plugs and muffs.

The double up makes a world of difference, indoor for me tends to be a touch loud with just muffs or just plugs.

• 2 months later...

I do not spend much on hearing protection but my plugs AND muffs are 32db or better. I will never shoot on an indoor range along with a centerfired rifle. Years back I had Dillion electronic protection but did not like them. Never replaced them. I do keep my head moving.

Young people protect your hearing. Hearing loss is not fun.

We used pelitors at work, don't know model. Was okay for handguns (40 cal x 3) but when we went to the rifle, I used sponge ear plug under neath, especially if I was shooting. Seems that I would dislodge the right muff when shouldering the rifle and that would rock your world. I will stress that you MUST wear hearing protection! I didn't way back when and now I am paying for it. Between chainsaws, tractors, sows screaming ,shooting, jets, helicopters, deuce and a halfs etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

On 5/8/2023 at 9:47 PM, ragsbo said:

We used pelitors at work, don't know model. Was okay for handguns (40 cal x 3) but when we went to the rifle, I used sponge ear plug under neath, especially if I was shooting. Seems that I would dislodge the right muff when shouldering the rifle and that would rock your world. I will stress that you MUST wear hearing protection! I didn't way back when and now I am paying for it. Between chainsaws, tractors, sows screaming ,shooting, jets, helicopters, deuce and a halfs etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Definitely agreed, can't get that back once it's gone.   Fun fact, the howard leight electronics are better not used when around constant loud noise such as running aircraft.   I tried it once and it just made the noise worse.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 6:31 AM, djmarkla said:

I might have to give them a try. I don't mind paying for quality and function. I do mind paying for hype.

I guess it depends on what you currently have to be able to justify it.  My previous set were the Howard Leight Impact Sports which I upgraded with a head strap and the Noisefighters Sightlines.  If you’ve already got the impact sports I’d recommend the upgrade of the sight lines which are worthwhile over the crappy cups that the impacts come with.  Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 4:02 PM, Hmgb07 said:

Does anyone know my thing about the Bluetooth earplugs 

You mean anything? 

No but I have 4 various types of electronic headphones only one more expensive digital pair.  They all work perfectly the digital you can hear someone pee at 300 yards but I wouldn't spend the extra money. Over $50 is a waste. 

I don't shoot indoors the only time I put in plugs was I was next to someone spotting shooting a Laupa, back of then was fine next too thrm dam... that's loud. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 2:32 PM, mikew said:

You gonna have time to think about it?

It's certaily loud but a house full of furniture absorbs a 9mm fairly well, I've tried it (once). We used to shoot rifles out the back door (with protection) in MI from the kitchen table.  

Basements without h... no, even a 22 is incredibly loud.

Vehicle I would guess insanely loud that's only for the movies.