Todd V sues Cook County (class action) for reinstating gun/ammo tax

• 10 months later...

@THE KING Thanks for posting.  I think FBD is a great podcast.  I didn't know there is constitutional protections on taxation - very interesting.   However, I have always considered the economic burden of owning firearms as the most effective method of firearms control.  Despite these apparent and obvious unconstitutional taxes, we have had them in cook county for years.  I think it is 10c per round and why I never by ammo in cook county - which is what they want.  However, I thought the FEES approach is the direction the government will go, increase fees for FOID, increase NICS fee, Increase AWB administration fee, introduce firearm storage requirements, Fee to inspect storage compliance, etc.  No impingement on the 2A RTK&BA, but the average joe can't afford to K&BA.   I don't know why the FEDS haven't gone down this path more fully.  Thanks Todd V. for another good fight!

On 1/24/2024 at 7:16 PM, top_notch said:

Will I get my money back?

I would expect if Todd prevails, yes there should be a mechanism put in place for you to file for the return of your money that was illegally collected...  Or else you could sue Cook County in small claims court...

Edited by Flynn

On 1/24/2024 at 7:31 PM, Flynn said:

I would expect if Todd prevails, yes there should be a mechanism put in place for you to file for the return of your money that was illegally collected...  Or else you could sue Cook County in small claims court...

They don’t show, you win! 
Now you just have to figure out how to collect!
EZ. PZ 😱

Edited by mab22

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 9:54 PM, Flynn said:

Good to hear you are back on track, but I fear if history is any indicator they will be too clever by half and re-author the law to be a "fee" forcing a likely reboot of litigation...

I could see Cook County doing that, but I would love to read the new "fee" law. Cook County is not needed at all to help facilitate the sale of firearms or ammunition. So, what fee is needed.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:51 PM, ealcala31 said:

I could see Cook County doing that, but I would love to read the new "fee" law. Cook County is not needed at all to help facilitate the sale of firearms or ammunition. So, what fee is needed.

Does Cook County license the stores?

if so here is the how….

Nope.  Not going to give them any ideas !

On 2/21/2024 at 6:35 AM, TomKoz said:

Does Cook County license the stores?

if so here is the how….

Nope.  Not going to give them any ideas !

I conduct business in Oak Lawn, they are home-rule. But, all counties charge for your business license. There's another lawsuit. In one of Mark Smith's podcast, he said a plaintiff one a lawsuit on marriage certificate "taxes." The IL Supreme Court is going to eventually here this case. They have to bar Cook County from making up "fees." I doubt they will do that...

On 2/21/2024 at 10:17 PM, ealcala31 said:

I conduct business in Oak Lawn, they are home-rule. But, all counties charge for your business license. There's another lawsuit. In one of Mark Smith's podcast, he said a plaintiff one a lawsuit on marriage certificate "taxes." The IL Supreme Court is going to eventually here this case. They have to bar Cook County from making up "fees." I doubt they will do that...

The state could stop  Crook County if it wanted too.