"Flash" mobs in downtown Chicago

vito

I don't have "what if" scenarios; I have "what actually was" scenarios.

I lived in the same area (Roscoe and Damen) before moving to the suburbs this year. I was out at the same times, frequented the same streets you mentioned, encountered the same people, but never had the same types of interactions. Despite the fact that robberies and shootings were happening in my area.

2 things I can say.

First, many people mistake the strategy of the gray man's attire to blend in with society VS blending in with his surroundings. I don't know how old you are, but it might help to dress younger. Wear hoodies or other more "street style" outerwear where appropriate. Baggie pants actually help conceal more comfortably. Late at night put your hood up.

Second there is nothing that says printing is against the law in Illinois as long as you make a reasonable effort to conceal. I pocket carried a double stack 9mm with the frame sticking out of my pocket covered with a baggie shirt or outerwear (in a holster). Winter time I carried in a breast pocket of my jacket. It wasn't obvious to anyone that would never carry, but it was enough bulge to make a thug question if I was packing. People make way too big of a deal about "printing" and concealing enough not to offend antis. Trust me, the only people that notice printing are those that also carry.

Stare people approaching you down and give them a friendly "what's up" when they walk by. It's something you'll notice police officers, even retired or off duty ones do out of habit to both gain and exude better situational awareness.

It's your right to defend yourself, so I won't be critical of having to draw, I understand what it's like to live in Chicago. But clearly something you're doing is attracting attention.

It's been a running bad joke from people who know me that something no one can figure out has made me a magnet for belligerent idiots my entire life, despite never having been the physical instigator of any altercation I've been in. When I was younger (I'm in my later 40s now), I would be walking down the street in areas like Wrigleyville and I literally had some clown I'd never seen before step out of the Cubby Bear, take a look at me, and then run at me with a cocked fist—and right behind me about 10 feet away was a cop car parked at the curb. That was an absurdly common occurrence up until about half a dozen years ago. The fight-magnetism seemed to have petered out around then, for whatever reason, and there was a few years where I was left alone, until right about the beginning of 2015, when the first defensive display incident I wrote about above occurred.

The funny thing is that I haven't changed what I do the entire time. The way I dress one of my friends calls "tactical metrosexual" has been the same for the past 20 years and more, and since 2006 I've walked with a cane/walking stick due to nerve damage in one of my legs making it lock up at inopportune moments, so the VA prescribed a "walking aid."

I have carried firearms, either for work, or in "FOID transport" mode (2013-2014), or since January 2015 I've had my CCW, for years, and that doesn't seem to have made any difference. Although, during 2013-2014, I was FOID transporting and didn't have any conflicts or altercations whatsoever, even going back to 2012. That was a good, quiet time, and if I could figure out exactly what seemed to make me "invisible" during that time, I'd replicate that in a heartbeat.

But, I've been dealing with being an aggressive jerk magnet since I was a kid in early grade school, and as a consequence I've been in a ridiculous amount of fights since age 6, none of which did I throw the first punch (or kick or takedown or whatever), which is right about the time I started training in fighting styles like boxing, wrestling, and other martial arts.

The only exception to all that above is when I've been on the job, either in the military or doing security work/package protection. Then, I make a conscious effort to blend in and nobody seems to take notice of me. I can blend into a crowd like nobody's business, and even people who know me personally very well have missed me when I am working.

However, I can't and am not inclined to walk around on that kind of alert all the time. It's d@mned exhausting.

You're right, best to just light 'em up. BTW, I just got some bear meat, you still got that cracklins recipe?

Cut off the fat so that none of it has any meat on it, chop the fat into finger-tip-sized cubes, put it into a crock pot with 1/4 cup of water, cover it, set the cooker on low, stir it every so often until all the fat is melted and you have brown bits of cracklin's under a thick, clear layer of liquid fat.

Pour the fat and cracklin's into a strainer lined with cheesecloth, then squeeze out the cracklin's and the cloth to get the last of the fat out of them. Put the fat in jars and cap them; you can actually can them in a water bath if you want it to last even longer.

Take the cracklin's in the cloth and dump them out in a cast-iron pan, sprinkle a little salt on them, turn it on low-ish heat for a bit and stir them around until they get a little bit crispy.

There you have it.

Oh-ho! What's this?

Meet the Pizza Delivery Driver Who’s Used His Concealed Gun to Prevent Eight Robberies

From the article . . .

"Robert Morrison has been delivering pizzas in Colorado for years. He estimates that he’s been involved in 15-20 attempted robberies on the job, eight of which have involved Morrison drawing his concealed firearm to scare-off aggressors."

. . . and . . .

“When I’ve pulled the gun, every, single time, [the assailant] just instantly took off running,” Morrison said. “I never had to point it at someone. I would just hold it down by my side and look at them, and that was sufficient."

I don't know, maybe he's doing something wrong, to be in situations where violence-minded people try to attack him when he is going about minding his own business, sometimes late at night, in areas that are known to have criminal activity.

Perhaps he should just not go around doing what he has a need to do, where he needs to do it, because of these criminals who are inclined to prey upon law-abiding people?

Oh, and he definitely was wrong for not shooting all of those attempted robbers, because you know that you never draw your firearm defensively unless you are going to shoot the person you are drawing it on to protect yourself from them.

Or, could it be . . . that stupid monkeys have been proven to be stupid monkeys?

10:33PM — Up at Montrose Beach:
Dispatcher: “I’ve got a ticket for a female trying to carry her heavy-set intoxicated friend to a car. Can I get a code for that?”
Sergeant: “Yeah…She needs to start working out or get better friends.”

10:46PM — Update on the heavy-set drunk girl at Montrose Beach: "She's laid out in the sand, face down… Fire's not responding and neither is she."

5:26PM — Cop: ”We got about 50 [teens] heading eastbound on Chicago Avenue" toward Water Tower, an officer says.

Sergeant: ”We'll go say hello with our arms wide open"
Dispatcher: ”Red rover red rover."

Atleast some still have a sense of humor despite the animals

Posted · Hidden by Lou, June 1, 2018 at 03:00 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Lou, June 1, 2018 at 03:00 PM - No reason given

Keep the mobs away from the Oak Street Beach!

Too late! They were spotted doing it 7 years ago.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/beach-north-124629279.html

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, June 1, 2018 at 03:03 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, June 1, 2018 at 03:03 PM - No reason given

I don't have sound to listen to the video.

What country was this in?

http://conservative-headlines.com/2015/03/ghanas-tourism-potential-hurt-by-open-defecation-on-the-beaches/

Thanks for the info. Here I thought it might have been LA California.

Do they at least bury it when they're done? Even my cat has the common courtesy to bury it after dropping a deuce in his litter box.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, June 1, 2018 at 02:58 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, June 1, 2018 at 02:58 PM - No reason given

I don't have sound to listen to the video.

What country was this in?

http://conservative-headlines.com/2015/03/ghanas-tourism-potential-hurt-by-open-defecation-on-the-beaches/

Thanks for the info. Here I thought it might have been LA California.

Do they at least bury it when they're done? Even my cat has the common courtesy to bury it after dropping a deuce in his litter box.

There are other vids like that on youtube and liveleak. They don't burry their poop.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=b15_1463922500

He drew to threaten but is now charged with five counts of first-degree terroristic threatening and faces possible life in prison.

The guy's a loon for shooting at people without provocation, but this story is a sad example of how "terrorism" under US law is pretty much anything a prosecutor says it is.

Archived