SB333 Trailer Bill to SB1657 Gun Dealer Licensing

mauserme

Senate Amendment 1, a trailer to SB1657 Gun Dealer Licensing, was filed on SB333 Regulation Tech today:

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Provides that if and only if Senate Bill 1657 of the 100th General Assembly becomes law in the form in which it passed the Senate on April 27, 2017, then the Gun Dealer Licensing Act is amended by providing that the requirement that a licensee who operates the business at a permanent physical location that is open to the public, that location shall be equipped with a video surveillance system sufficient to monitor the critical areas of the business premises, including, but not limited to, all places where firearms are stored, handled, sold, transferred, or carried does not take effect until January 1, 2021, provides the expiration date and renewal period for each license shall be 5 years, and provides that an application fee or renewal fee for a dealership license or a dealer license shall not exceed $1,000 for the 5-year period. Effective upon Senate Bill 1657 of the 100th General Assembly becoming law.

I don't suppose Sen. Harmon has any specific examples of crimes which would have been prevented by this sort of video surveillance. (Of course not; the point is just to make it more expensive to operated a firearms business, and to create some new opportunities for rule violations.)

"all places where firearms are stored, handled, sold, transferred, or carried" . . . . This would include the restrooms . . . good grief.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say restrooms would be excluded. I'm pretty sure video in bathrooms is covered under a criminal statute.

It would have been logical to include that exclusion, but it's not in the bill.

Illinois has made it obvious they no longer want me as a resident. Perhaps one of these days they will get their wish....

I feel the exact same way at times. The problem for me is an easy one. All of our kids and grand kids live here. There's simply not a chance in heck that my wife will ever even consider moving out of state. I've showed her lots of awesome properties all over the country. Similarly sized homes in many free states sell for less and the biggie is the real estate taxes. In many cases they are 75% or more cheaper than what we pay here. Still, she won't budge. You all know the drill, when you're married, happy wife = happy life.

It isn't a stretch that they would legislate that gun dealers must surveil their own bathrooms. And I wouldn't trust a politician to know the proposed legislation that he or she is sponsoring. Just look at that mess on the floor when Moylan was presenting his bill. No bleeping clue what the law says. This bill keeps getting LESS reasonable rather than more unreasonable. It's like they double down on the stupid measures included. "What can we force people to do that is unprecedented?"

@JDW

That's the only reason why we're here. My mom is in her mid-70s and my dad passed away 6 years ago. Rest of my family lives 2.5-4 hrs away max. Girlfriend's parents and family are all from the area, 45 minutes max drive to any of her family members' homes. My mom really has no one and I couldn't bring myself to pick up and move thousands of miles away while she's still here.

We've (gf and myself) been looking at land in the Alaskan interior near the Arctic Circle (yup, we've reached that point) that's on a lake or river and only accessible by float plane in the winter. That or a state like Montana. We just want to move to a state where we can buy a huge chunk of land, not be harassed by the government constantly, not have our lives micromanaged, the wilderness is the grocery store. And we want to give our daughter who is the the biggest "outdoor junkie" toddler I've ever seen in my life a better childhood.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I don't suppose Sen. Harmon has any specific examples of crimes which would have been prevented by this sort of video surveillance. (Of course not; the point is just to make it more expensive to operated a firearms business, and to create some new opportunities for rule violations.)

Oh, I think it is worse than that. The basic bill, the license is SO open to abuse, that they can effectively shut down dealerships and stores. "Sorry your application has been denied", "Or your application is under Board Review". Meanwhile the existing dealer, waiting and waiting can do no business.

Well this language has been in the original bill from the beginning. Not only would it mandate bathrooms, but say break rooms, offices aver single inch of the property would have to be covered.

So just like 4117 where we took the simple things and pounded on them, we will do the same thing starting on Monday. And once again the democratic party is more interested in bathrooms, than any rational policy.

​When we find the little absurd points of the bills, it makes it easy to ridicule and defeat. But we have to be careful about educating the other side.

So, no doubt the other side will pick up on this. So what will they do? If they amend the Senate bill it has to go back to the senate if it passes and they don't want to take that chance. Will they amend the "trailer" bill to address this? How soon will the trailer bill pass? They are using a Senate bill, which means it needs 3 readings in the House. If they don't pass it out of the Senate on Monday, they can't pass it out of the House and there are rumors that they may cancel Thursday in the House. So no 3 days.

​On top of that, if 333 passes the Senate, when does it? and when does it get read into the record, because as a new senate bill it should go to committee and require a 7 day posting notice, hmmmm. Are they gonna wave that? Right now there is only one Jud committee scheduled in the House for Monday afternoon.

​So you see the time table works against them. Now I probably just gave ICHV a tutorial in the legislative process in all of this, Hi Mark, Hi Colleen. :flowers:

But helping all of you understand the process is important and sometime we have to not worry about who lurks here. So not only do the big things matter in policy debates about gun legislation, but sometimes these small things do too. and sometimes, these small things can really make a difference because they are easy things for people to relate too. And if they get the small things wrong, what else have they gotten wrong?

I am somewhat amazed as the concern for "educating the other side". It is a very bad assumption to believe that people promoting bills against guns and gun dealers are stupid. And never believe that anyone here is so smart that the pro gun side are the only people that see problems with bills promoted by the democrats. Sure, some of them are not as familiar with guns as they should be for the bills that they attempt to promote. But it would be a far better assumption that there are people behind the democratic bills that are very familiar with guns. This constant worry seems to be a waste of time and I think you should just assume that they see the issues with their bills and, most probably, many of those bills are written with such issues intentionally to provide prosecutors with significant leeway in how they enforce the law and how guns and devices develop in the future. Not good for gun owners, but not done out of stupidity. Just because the representative that talks about the bill is a moron, that doesn't mean that his strings are not being pulled by someone that knows exactly what they re doing.

Well this language has been in the original bill from the beginning. Not only would it mandate bathrooms, but say break rooms, offices aver single inch of the property would have to be covered.

So just like 4117 where we took the simple things and pounded on them, we will do the same thing starting on Monday. And once again the democratic party is more interested in bathrooms, than any rational policy.

​When we find the little absurd points of the bills, it makes it easy to ridicule and defeat. But we have to be careful about educating the other side.

So, no doubt the other side will pick up on this. So what will they do? If they amend the Senate bill it has to go back to the senate if it passes and they don't want to take that chance. Will they amend the "trailer" bill to address this? How soon will the trailer bill pass? They are using a Senate bill, which means it needs 3 readings in the House. If they don't pass it out of the Senate on Monday, they can't pass it out of the House and there are rumors that they may cancel Thursday in the House. So no 3 days.

​On top of that, if 333 passes the Senate, when does it? and when does it get read into the record, because as a new senate bill it should go to committee and require a 7 day posting notice, hmmmm. Are they gonna wave that? Right now there is only one Jud committee scheduled in the House for Monday afternoon.

​So you see the time table works against them. Now I probably just gave ICHV a tutorial in the legislative process in all of this, Hi Mark, Hi Colleen. :flowers:

But helping all of you understand the process is important and sometime we have to not worry about who lurks here. So not only do the big things matter in policy debates about gun legislation, but sometimes these small things do too. and sometimes, these small things can really make a difference because they are easy things for people to relate too. And if they get the small things wrong, what else have they gotten wrong?

Thanks Todd

I am somewhat amazed as the concern for "educating the other side". It is a very bad assumption to believe that people promoting bills against guns and gun dealers are stupid. And never believe that anyone here is so smart that the pro gun side are the only people that see problems with bills promoted by the democrats. Sure, some of them are not as familiar with guns as they should be for the bills that they attempt to promote. But it would be a far better assumption that there are people behind the democratic bills that are very familiar with guns. This constant worry seems to be a waste of time and I think you should just assume that they see the issues with their bills and, most probably, many of those bills are written with such issues intentionally to provide prosecutors with significant leeway in how they enforce the law and how guns and devices develop in the future. Not good for gun owners, but not done out of stupidity. Just because the representative that talks about the bill is a moron, that doesn't mean that his strings are not being pulled by someone that knows exactly what they re doing.

that's because there is only one way to convince a devout communist that they do not know what is best for you ;)

Archived