Renewed my CCL today, a bit of a hassle

vito

This morning I received an email telling me that I have entered the 6 month window for renewal of my CCL, so I thought, why wait? I started the process, which I found more challenging that I thought it would be. All of my data is already on the State Police website, so I thought the renewal would be very quick. I had no idea, or did not remember, that I had to have the data and the actual training certificate that I received for the required training over 10 years ago. It took me more than a few minutes to find that document, and I'm not sure what would have been the process for me had I not found it. Submitting an updated photo was not much of a challenge, and then the payment process was simple. I'm starting this thread just as a warning to others to make sure that they find their training certificate before it is time for their license renewal, and if they can't find it, have as much time as possible to rectify that situation. 

This requirement of needing to send a copy of the actual certificate made me think that it was as if renewing a driver's license at age 80 would have required me to find the paperwork showing I took driver's ed decades ago. 

So, I am a little confused. I'm coming up for renewal in 01/2024 and I did get an email and a text that my IL-CCL is 180 days out. It will be 10yrs when I got my IL-CCL in 03/2014. Last renewal, all I had to do was upload my 3hr certificate. Is that the same process or are they looking for the original cert now? Doesn't ISP have the original cert as part of our file? That's going to suck looking for that cert...

On 7/22/2023 at 10:48 AM, ealcala31 said:

So, I am a little confused. I'm coming up for renewal in 01/2024 and I did get an email and a text that my IL-CCL is 180 days out. It will be 10yrs when I got my IL-CCL in 03/2014. Last renewal, all I had to do was upload my 3hr certificate. Is that the same process or are they looking for the original cert now? Doesn't ISP have the original cert as part of our file? That's going to suck looking for that cert...

Nope, I believe all you need is renewal cert.

I think the OP was confused and thought original cert would cover renewal - it won’t.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, Bubbacs said:

Am I not remembering correctly but instructors self re-certify?  I think I did that.  I think I remember that.  But I cant find the place i read it at before!  Anyone?

Yes, sort of... current instructors are exempt and do not need to "self certify".

I renewed mine the day the email arrived (6/14) which was about a week before two copies of the letter arrived via USPS. Today, I have 52 days to go with the following message:

We have received your submission and your payment was successful. We have not yet reviewed any aspect of your application. It is in the verification queue.

About the Process
Upon receipt of a qualified application, the Illinois State Police (ISP) will issue or deny the applicant within the timeframes set forth in statute and administrative rules.  See our Frequently Asked Questions at https://www.ispfsb.com/ for more details.  During the review process, ISP will send notifications on key status changes to the supplied email address and send correspondence in the U.S. mail to the applicant’s mailing address.  If the application is approved, the ISP will prepare, print and send the FOID or CCL card to the applicant’s mailing address.

Cheers,
Tim

On 7/22/2023 at 4:07 PM, soundguy said:

Yes, sort of... current instructors are exempt and do not need to "self certify".

I renewed mine the day the email arrived (6/14) which was about a week before two copies of the letter arrived via USPS. Today, I have 52 days to go with the following message:

Cheers,
Tim

I renewed when I got the email {current instructor}. Never received anything via USPS.

F USPS

• 1 month later...

All's well that ends well, I guess. I took the renewal class, got my training certificate, and then emailed the ISP to ask how I could upload it to an application that was shown as "Under review". I received an immediate response that my application was now open and ready to accept the uploaded certificate. I uploaded said document and then got a confirming email from the ISP saying that it uploaded properly and "looked good". So now I am just waiting for the completion of the review and receipt of my new license. 

Part of why I added this comment is that I was very impressed with both the speed of the ISP reply to my email, and the helpful assistance that was immediately offered to me. Not at all what I expected from comments on this website about the difficulty in communicating with the ISP. 

I'll also add that for my first renewal, which would have been in 2019, is it possible that the requirement for the 3 hour training had not yet been in place? I genuinely do not recall taking such a class then, nor doing the qualification shooting back in that time frame, and I would have saved any training certificate had I received one. Not important now but interesting. 

I just recently renewed my CCL. I am a ISP certified instructor first certified within days of application process being opened. My renewal did not request a renewal cert as I checked the ISP certified instructor box and provided my CCT number. Paid and all seems well. However, I have seen some reporting that I will get a request for Renewal Training Cert. in coming days. Called ISP about discrepancy and the issue has ben brought to their attention and expecting clarification on this subject soon. I will share info here when it arrives. There is no place to submit CCL renewal cert on my renewal application. And from comments here I would agree there seems to be a discrepancy between early instructors and more recent certified instructors CCL renewals.

On 8/29/2023 at 11:22 AM, captdan said:

I just recently renewed my CCL. I am a ISP certified instructor first certified within days of application process being opened. My renewal did not request a renewal cert as I checked the ISP certified instructor box and provided my CCT number. Paid and all seems well. However, I have seen some reporting that I will get a request for Renewal Training Cert. in coming days. Called ISP about discrepancy and the issue has been brought to their attention and expecting clarification on this subject soon. I will share info here when it arrives. There is no place to submit CCL renewal cert on my renewal application. And from comments here I would agree there seems to be a discrepancy between early instructors and more recent certified instructors CCL renewals.

Thank you for requesting clarification. We also await clarification via Molly.

I think all instructors are being treated the same way... a notice and letter requiring the "Three Hour Cert" comes about 60 days after applying for renewal. I am also one of the early Instructors. We are in the same class and I look forward to your report, as it should be the same for all of us.

I also would like to know what the heck ISP is doing for those first 60 days.

Cheers,

Tim

On 8/29/2023 at 11:22 AM, captdan said:

I just recently renewed my CCL. I am a ISP certified instructor first certified within days of application process being opened.

Personal update:

I submitted my Self Cert renewal form today.

Things I did:

At the CCL Portal my application was listed as REJECTED

There were notes below indicating what was missing

- Clicked on "Update Renewal Info" and added the info it asked for.

- Clicked on "Upload Files" and uploaded my Cert form

- Clicked on "SUBMIT"

*Those "to do" items disappeared before I wrote them down so wording may not be accurate*

My new status is RENEWAL

It also now says 90 days remaining...

If this is the correct way to do it, I should have my new CCL card in a week or so, as others have reported. The 90 Days Remaining is distressing.

I still want to know why it takes 60 days of inactivity to get to this point and why instructors were not informed as to the new renewal requirements.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by soundguy

It's moronic to have to submit a 3hr renewal as an instructor, who is, by definition, exempt from training. 

I can also confirm that if you check the box for, "Instructor" there is not an option to upload a cert, but they have it right, you should not have to do so anyway.

Edited by John Q Public