which guns specifically are banned or required to be registered per hb5471

Mauserwaffen98

I'm waiting for the "Illinois Gun Ban for Dummies" or "Illinois AWB Simplified" Books....I'll pay for them. I cannot decipher (yet) which Pistols/Rifles I own are now gonna get me charged with a crime. I can't wade thru all the verbiage I get confounded and angry. This does not have to be so clumsy and mind bending, does it?

On 1/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, Rabble said:

I know no one knows the answer, but a question is, if a particular rifle is okay except for a shroud, and you can remove the shroud and still operate the gun, would that make it okay?

I suppose you can buy heat resistant welding gloves in place of the shroud. JMO

Too bad they don't sell left or right and they come in pairs. 

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-9741/Heat-Resistant-Gloves/Uline-Welding-Gloves-Stick?pricode=WB4770&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-9741&utm_campaign=Gloves&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-9741&utm_campaign=Gloves&msclkid=a28980e8dfe0124a0157e3563e99e4ea

On 1/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

I'm waiting for the "Illinois Gun Ban for Dummies" or "Illinois AWB Simplified" Books....I'll pay for them. I cannot decipher (yet) which Pistols/Rifles I own are now gonna get me charged with a crime. I can't wade thru all the verbiage I get confounded and angry. This does not have to be so clumsy and mind bending, does it?

The clumsy and mind bending language is not a bug, it's a feature. Lawyers gotta eat too. I like the "Illinois Gun Ban for Dummies" idea. It will be a best-seller.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:50 AM, cybermgk said:

Except that statement isn't true and factual.  That is not how an SKS is converted to use detacheable magazines. If you just take ff te built-on magazine, you can't just then use a detacheable mag.  Milling and additional parts are needed.  Additionally, except for Yugoslavian models, which have a grenade launcher, just having a detacheable magazine capability, under the law, is not enough to be an "assault rifle".  Rifle needs that and another 'feature; listed, which the SKS doesn't.  That is except perhaps the undefined shroud feature.  But if that qualifies it, then that qualifies most semi auto rifles.

Lastly, the law expressly states SKS with a detachable magazine, NOT just simply SKS, like it does for AR15, AK47, etc, etc.  And as @G214me  states, there were production models imported, with detachable magazines (there were also original ones modified as well). 

Additionally, it mentions only the Mini14 tactical version, and not the every day mini14 (watch sales of those skyrocket).  And the generic Mini 14 is basically just like the SKS with fixed mag, EXCEPT it actually can take a detachable mag. This also lends credence to the fact that an SKS without an actual detacheable magazine is exempt.  

IMHO, it is clear what the intent was.  But, then the SHroud portion is where the rubber meets the road.  It is simply not really defined.  As written, it could mean anything, or be intended to just be AR type forends.

Any SKS, sans the original fixed magazine, can accept the "duckbill" mags. You only need milling and parts if you want to use AK mags. 

And the SKS has what I would assume the law considers a barrel shroud. 

On 1/11/2023 at 8:58 AM, smokehouse said:

One odd one that I can’t figure out after reading the bill, are 22 rimfire rifles like the S&W 15-22. 

the only carve outs are for tube fed rimfire rifles, not ALL rimfire rifles.

I think the S&W 15-22 would be banned.  It is a semiauto rifle with a pistol grip and also a shroud.  No expert here, just my opinion.

But say an old marlin 795, another 22 rifle with magazine, has no pistol grip or shroud, so maybe it is OK as long as 10 round mags are used.  maybe, not sure.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, mousegun6 said:

I'm not a lawyer but I plan on waiting for the information to be posted on the ISP website and then consulting with an attorney and understanding what needs to be done to remain in compliance with the law. I can only suggest that you do the same. In the meantime, let's not discuss it here and let the lawyers do their job.

Wait... the same agency that has repeatedly refused to define terms or clarify the law because they're an enforcement agency, not attorneys, and such information would be considered legal advice? 

We're gonna be waiting a while for anything that isn't like their "guide to transporting firearms"... and it will probably be just as inaccurate towards the restrictive side. 

On 1/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, farmkid71 said:

I think the S&W 15-22 would be banned.  It is a semiauto rifle with a pistol grip and also a shroud.  No expert here, just my opinion.

But say an old marlin 795, another 22 rifle with magazine, has no pistol grip or shroud, so maybe it is OK as long as 10 round mags are used.  maybe, not sure.

that was my take as well. Because they don’t call out centerfire and rimfire (save tube fed), it’s all lumped in.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:05 AM, Tango7 said:

Wait... the same agency that has repeatedly refused to define terms or clarify the law because they're an enforcement agency, not attorneys, and such information would be considered legal advice? 

We're gonna be waiting a while for anything that isn't like their "guide to transporting firearms"... and it will probably be just as inaccurate towards the restrictive side. 

I agree with you but they have been tasked, under the law, to educate the public and to enforce the law. What information they publish will be what they can depend on in court and we can depend on to be prosecuted under. I don't know of any other definitive source for information than the police charged with enforcing the law. Where else do we find the information?

Feel free to discuss the ban, but we're referring questions to the bill's sponsors:

House Sponsor Representative Bob Morgan

District Office:  (847) 780-8471

info@repbobmorgan.com

Senate Sponsor President Don Harmon

District Office:  (708) 848-2002

dharmon@senatedem.ilga.gov

Please give them a call as often as you like.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:24 AM, mauserme said:

Feel free to discuss the ban, but we're referring questions to the bill's sponsors:

House Sponsor Representative Bob Morgan

District Office:  (847) 780-8471

info@repbobmorgan.com

Senate Sponsor President Don Harmon

District Office:  (708) 848-2002

dharmon@senatedem.ilga.gov

Please give them a call as often as you like.

I just sent them each an email asking a question. I look forward to their response.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, Rabble said:

I know no one knows the answer, but a question is, if a particular rifle is okay except for a shroud, and you can remove the shroud and still operate the gun, would that make it okay?

Ask Bob Morgan and Don Harmon, numbers and email listed above.

So this means my Wife's Ruger 10/22 is toast as well even with the original 10 round magazine, doesn't it?

20211225_101622.thumb.jpg.151f50b647916daea9a22445d9e8bccd.jpg

We are seriously considering buying my MIL's house in Iowa and moving.....for the first time in my Life I'm seriously thinking over leaving. Gotta do some math here considering my Wife is retiring in March.

If im reading this correctly, this does allow my TLR-7 and reddot to stay on my handgun?

"If the pistol has one of the following: a threaded barrel, a secondary pistol grip, a barrel shroud (not including slides), a flash suppressor, a secondary magazine, buffer tube or arm brace, and any semi-automatic pistol that has a fixed internal magazine greater than 15 rounds."

I feel for you folks in IL.  I live in Kenosha now but follow ILCARRY because I shoot at a range in IL and work in IL and go to church in IL.  A lot of my life is spent in IL.  And sadly I can't carry in IL even though I have a WI CCW.  Just was shooting with an IL buddy last night and he is asking a similar question about moving.  He's retired waiting for wife to retire and he has quite the gun collection.  Move, comply, or resist, all options are on the table.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:44 PM, McCroskey said:

This is so stupid. It's just the usual Brady ban list of irrelevant "scary" cosmetic features.

Why do they ban 50 cal rifles? How many mass shootings were done with a 50BMG rifle????

Because they are the only round available to peasants that can defeat the Glass on armored cars. 

What is a "Secondary Magazine"??? Are they trying to say that anything that has a magazine that is not internal is a no go?

Can we get an interpreter? The more I read this stuff trying to figure out what I have that I can keep to more confused I become. Every question I read to try and answer I end up with more questions. Why didn't they just say "Any rifle or pistol with black, scary looking doo dads or thing-a-ma-bobs  and/or has a large capacity ammuntion storage and feeding doo hickie is banned."

On 1/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

What is a "Secondary Magazine"??? Are they trying to say that anything that has a magazine that is not internal is a no go?

Can we get an interpreter? The more I read this stuff trying to figure out what I have that I can keep to more confused I become. Every question I read to try and answer I end up with more questions. Why didn't they just say "Any rifle or pistol with black, scary looking doo dads or thing-a-ma-bobs  and/or has a large capacity ammuntion storage and feeding doo hickie is banned."

Reason why Mr. Todd V had to take 8 hours just to figure out the mag ban portion of the bill.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:44 PM, McCroskey said:

This is so stupid. It's just the usual Brady ban list of irrelevant "scary" cosmetic features.

Why do they ban 50 cal rifles? How many mass shootings were done with a 50BMG rifle????

I am sure they looked for every feature or specification that can be attributed to non-sporting purposes or whatever you might call it.  For instance it doesn't matter if a threaded barrel by itself does not change the functionality of the gun.  Including it increases the number of banned guns, and that's the point of the law.  Ban as many guns as possible under the headline of assault weapons.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

It was written that way on purpose so they can claim it says what ever they want it to say

Archived