Friend looking for inexpensive reliable 9mm

TRJ

I may get booed off the thread for suggesting this, but it MAY be worth investigating some of the lower-end 9mm 1911's. There's the ATI FX9 in Commander length at classicfirearms.com for $379. You'd mentioned wanting a thumb safety, which a 1911 has.

However, the manual of arms is different enough from pretty much every other 9mm on the market that it may require unacceptable amounts of training to go back and forth between a 1911 and whatever she's running now.

Just a thought.

Bri

I may get booed off the thread for suggesting this, but it MAY be worth investigating some of the lower-end 9mm 1911's. There's the ATI FX9 in Commander length at classicfirearms.com for $379. You'd mentioned wanting a thumb safety, which a 1911 has.

However, the manual of arms is different enough from pretty much every other 9mm on the market that it may require unacceptable amounts of training to go back and forth between a 1911 and whatever she's running now.

Just a thought.

Bri

Not a bad suggestion. She runs a P238 ...a mini 1911 style gun....

Sorry, I don't know all my Sigs without a scorecard yet. If I'd hit the Wikipedia article, it would have been pretty obvious that it sure looks like a 1911 that got dropped in the hot water wash.

One Sig that I'd happily recommend (particularly to a person her size) is the P365. I grabbed one a couple of months ago and it's my EDC now (albeit without a thumb safety: I know you specified one - not sure of the rationale behind it, but to each his (or her) own). The only 2 drawbacks so far are:

1) It's still so new that the accessory market ain't that great for it yet. And forget flashlights or lasers - Sig's got a proprietary rail on there that's designed to attach only their own laser or flashlight (both of which are in the mid-$100 range). Holsters can be had, and the 12 round extended mags are finally starting to trickle into the retail areas.

2) And this is the backbreaker for her: as I'm sure you already know, you ain't gonna find a P365 for $300. Or $400. Or even $500. They're going on GunBroker for around $575 to $650.

So, if it's something she could see herself saving for, I can recommend one very happily. She'd just have to get past the lack of thumb safety.

Bri

Watch Mac's video on the P365. Also Harry's Holsters video on the same. These pistol's are experiencing a very abnormally high failure rate with breaking firing pins and other issues. Until they get that ironed out, I'd not trust my life to it. This is just an FYI. I have no dog in this fight. I will say, I think they're overpriced, but that's just one guy's opinion.

Watch Mac's video on the P365. Also Harry's Holsters video on the same. These pistol's are experiencing a very abnormally high failure rate with breaking firing pins and other issues. Until they get that ironed out, I'd not trust my life to it. This is just an FYI. I have no dog in this fight. I will say, I think they're overpriced, but that's just one guy's opinion.

Agree'd!!!

I was thinkin' that this could be my first Sig....

Since these issues have hit my radar..I'm grabbing some popcorn and waiting see how things shake down...

Just a thought.

Bri

I'd say stick with the P238 (if she likes it) and save up for a P938. She will have no trouble becoming familiar with a new gun. It is quite unlikely a caliber change will be of any advantage to her... pretty much ever. She might as well enjoy a small gun with less kick.

If she's looking for a larger gun, a 9mm 1911 might be good. I don't like the idea of a grip safety idea as my hands age. The grips of the CZ 75 Compacts are too short and too big in circumference for me. Might be good for your friend but she'll want a trigger job unless she has long strong fingers.

I'm going for a gun that doesn't really exist... Alloy frame Hi Power with a Detective Slide Kit. It will be about 8oz lighter than a regular Hi Power with a slide about an inch shorter. My new gun-child should be home from the spa in a few weeks.

Just a thought.

Bri

I'd say stick with the P238 (if she likes it) and save up for a P938. She will have no trouble becoming familiar with a new gun. It is quite unlikely a caliber change will be of any advantage to her... pretty much ever. She might as well enjoy a small gun with less kick.

If she's looking for a larger gun, a 9mm 1911 might be good. I don't like the idea of a grip safety idea as my hands age. The grips of the CZ 75 Compacts are too short and too big in circumference for me. Might be good for your friend but she'll want a trigger job unless she has long strong fingers.

I'm going for a gun that doesn't really exist... Alloy frame Hi Power with a Detective Slide Kit. It will be about 8oz lighter than a regular Hi Power with a slide about an inch shorter. My new gun-child should be home from the spa in a few weeks.

She's just had a taste of training. I loaned her a HK for class because she doesn't have\want 20 magazines for the P238. Point is to get something reliable and with a higher capacity so she can take more training and not have to reload every 6 shots, or fumble with a loaner gun she doesn't know well.

She's coming over tomorrow to BBQ with my family so I'll give her the list we compiled here. Lots of good ideas for her to chase down and sample before she buys.

Agree'd!!!

I was thinkin' that this could be my first Sig....

Since these issues have hit my radar..I'm grabbing some popcorn and waiting see how things shake down...

We have a saying in professional aviation... “never fly an “A” model”

I’d seen a couple of reports and have my eyes on Sig: I’m sure that if there was a truly systemic problem with the P365, there’ll be a recall before long.

I’ve got around 750 or so rounds through mine, and have not had a minute’s problem with it. It’s happily eaten everything I’ve thrown at it, and it’s gone bang every time I’ve pulled the switch.

For me personally, I don’t have so much a religious attachment to it. My hands are small enough that the P365 is the first sidearm I’ve ever owned that I can encircle the grip of with my thumb and middle finger. There were also folks complaining that the slide wasn’t locking back on empty mags, and they have thumbs long enough that it was plain that they were riding the slide lock lever. My thumbs are short enough that I still have to shift my grip to get to the slide lock - there’s no way that I’ll ever hit it by accident.

Overall, the sidearm works well enough for me that I’m willing to cautiously accept some small risk that there might be a problem.

Anyway, I didn’t want to derail the thread. Was just throwing the option out there for OP.

Bri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an option, it comes in 2 versions, 1 is a polymer frame and the other is a steel frame. MSRP is $492.00, you should be able to find it cheaper on line.

http://armscor.com/firearms/ria/mapp-series/

She came up with this...https://www.gunsmidwest.com/723364204425.html

I'm trying to steer her off that one because it doesn't have a slide lock.

I think she might be swayed by this one though...https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-b6p-pink-compact-9mm.html the price is better and I'm pretty sure it will serve her better.

I think she might be swayed by this one though...https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-b6p-pink-compact-9mm.html the price is better and I'm pretty sure it will serve her better.

If you want, you can borrow my B6P and see how it fits her. We can meet at GAT and shoot it too.

If you want, you can borrow my B6P and see how it fits her. We can meet at GAT and shoot it too.

That would be cool. I'll let you know when she makes up her mind.

your link was bad, try this

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-b6p-pink-compact-9mm.html

EC9

https://gun.deals/product/ruger-ec9-9mm-71-312-black-208-shipped-after-code-ncu

"Coupon "MP3" for $10 off $199 + Free S/H"

Even if you dont score the discount...A good price can still be found this dang good mid-sized firearm that should fit the bill...

I picked up one of these. Nice gun for the price. Great for summer carry. My other carry is a PCR.

I see her pistol selection is based on what color the pistol comes in. Sig sells a ton of those little things because of the fancy color schemes.

SCCY sells a wider selection of colors than anyone and easily falls within the price limit. As for safety and reliability, well, but look at all the colors!

And then there's P-chan

DapeFO4WsAAlkod.jpg

Mid/full size budget pistols to look at:

Smith & Wesson SD9VE

The SD9VE will have a pretty crappy trigger, ~$60 in parts from Apex and it'll be ok.

My buddy at work purchased one new and now MUST sell. I'd be happy to put you in contact if you're interested. He needs the money more than the gun....and willing to cut a deal.

Sorry, I don't know all my Sigs without a scorecard yet. If I'd hit the Wikipedia article, it would have been pretty obvious that it sure looks like a 1911 that got dropped in the hot water wash.

One Sig that I'd happily recommend (particularly to a person her size) is the P365. I grabbed one a couple of months ago and it's my EDC now (albeit without a thumb safety: I know you specified one - not sure of the rationale behind it, but to each his (or her) own). The only 2 drawbacks so far are:

1) It's still so new that the accessory market ain't that great for it yet. And forget flashlights or lasers - Sig's got a proprietary rail on there that's designed to attach only their own laser or flashlight (both of which are in the mid-$100 range). Holsters can be had, and the 12 round extended mags are finally starting to trickle into the retail areas.

2) And this is the backbreaker for her: as I'm sure you already know, you ain't gonna find a P365 for $300. Or $400. Or even $500. They're going on GunBroker for around $575 to $650.

So, if it's something she could see herself saving for, I can recommend one very happily. She'd just have to get past the lack of thumb safety.

Bri

Same here, Brian. After years of trying to adapt to larger handguns, I have accepted my limitations and decided to stick to guns that are truly good fits for my hands. The G42 and the P365 feel like they could have been made from molds of my hand.

From now on, if the fingernails of my middle finger and thumb don't completely overlap, I probably won''t consider it (unless of course for something like a 9mm 1911 that is so easy to control).

post-16660-0-84289800-1528224800_thumb.png

post-16660-0-22609300-1528225740_thumb.png

post-16660-0-75023900-1528229106_thumb.png

I see her pistol selection is based on what color the pistol comes in. Sig sells a ton of those little 238s because of the fancy color schemes.

The P-938, too. I wouldn't mind inheriting a collection of different versions.

I know nothing about the Taurus Spectrum but it looks pretty cool in a retro space age kind of way. I like the white/stainless/cyan House Combination.

Smith & Wesson SD9VE

The SD9VE will have a pretty crappy trigger, ~$60 in parts from Apex and it'll be ok.

My buddy at work purchased one new and now MUST sell. I'd be happy to put you in contact if you're interested. He needs the money more than the gun....and willing to cut a deal.

As Gamma said, the Apex trigger will make it ok. Just put mine in and it's more like a Glock trigger now. Definitely reduced the trigger travel.

Easy to do. Did mine in like 45 minutes. Just curious, what is your buddy asking for the SD9VE.

Smith & Wesson SD9VE

As Gamma said, the Apex trigger will make it ok. Just put mine in and it's more like a Glock trigger now. Definitely reduced the trigger travel.

Easy to do. Did mine in like 45 minutes. Just curious, what is your buddy asking for the SD9VE.

They can be found for $300 after shipping and transfer fees. I think it came from Cabellas less than 30 days ago. Never fired. Make a reasonable offer. In order not to hijack the thread, send a PM. He is in the city but works in Hoffman Estates. Transfer at GAT Guns or Cabellas with all the required paperwork, rules, etc

Correction, it came from Target Guns in Libertyville.

Is $275 a reasonable price? That's about 10% lower than the Internet prices

Not to mention, help to keep a guy out of trouble with his fiancée

I'd say he is in the ballpark. Considering Brownells has them on sale for $259 and free shipping right now. If you add $25 for transfer fees your roughly at $285.

He should post it here,I'm sure someone would jump on it.

Archived