A Illinois CCW Class for the Poorest Among Us.

Pipedoc

There was a whole bunch of talk in the early days prior to the first training classes of instructors getting together and doing a few classes for the neediest among us.

Is there any interest in moving this ball forward? I am in the Joliet area but would be willing to travel to some of the more financially depressed areas of Cook county to do an extremely low cost class. Something on the order of $50 per person or less depending on number of students or even free if the venue was free and other instructors wanted to kick in some training hours.

The biggest issue for students may be travel to the range from the city. I haven't worked out those details but I am open to suggestions.

What say all of you instructors out there???

Does anyone in Cook county have a church group or social group that would like to sponsor a low cost class for it's members? If you have a group, feel free to contact me.

Just spit-balling, but if someone can talk to a pastor you may be able to have this a church organized event and then be able to make donations of time and travel expenses eligible for tax write off. Same may be true of VFW hall or other non-profit. Get creative and raise our numbers.

I'm a new NRA BP Instructor. I'm also going to the Utah Concealed Carry Instructor course in 2 weeks. I'd be willing to volunteer some time. If the course is held after I obtain the necessary items to teach Utah I'd be willing to add that in too.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf

Good idea for those wanting to do this and I salute you. But I suppose the obvious question is....how will you know the true needy will be taking a class and not someone who can afford to take a regular class at a regular cost? I see abuse occurring. I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer" but I guess I am not optimistic this would work.

In theory, it sounds great. But let me ask you this....the person doesn't have the money for the class...is that the class only? The state is still going to get their $150 and more if the person does the fingerprints. Ok, so they don't need to do the fingerprints and that will save.

Where do you draw the line on donations? If they get the ammo free to qualify, are they going to be able to practice and train with whatever type of firearm that is donated or provided for qualification? Are they going to be proficient with that firearm when/if they need it? If they are unable to practice are they going to be safe or a hazard?

I'm not saying that only those that are financially able should be able to be a concealed carry holder but there are a lot more aspects besides the initial qualification class/shoot that come into play. Hopefully those that are taking on the responsibility of an FCCL also understand that there is a liability aspect to having to use their firearm. Will you donate the insurance premium as well?

The Second Amendment is meant for all United States citizens and I put my time in the Marine Corps to help ensure the security of our Constitution.

However those things that sound great on the surface usually have an underlying current that some miss or choose to ignore.

I believe that you could instruct someone how to shoot and defend themselves. But before you jump into something as complicated as concealed carry in the general society, please examine what you may inadvertently be setting up the recipient of your good deeds up with a huge responsibility that they may, in reality, not be able to shoulder.

There is more to it than just a class.

I've waived quite a few over the last 8 years. Usually the host of the class will ask "can you waive for one person if I bring 8+ people " seems a good system they know who's hurting. Gives them an incentive to fill the class. I have an 83 year old friend thats been hosting me for 2 classes a year for 5 years now the range fee is he brings someone who can't afford the class.

I don't like writing blank checks and I don't like top down charity seems too easy to abuse. 1 on 1 is where its at.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

In theory, it sounds great. But let me ask you this....the person doesn't have the money for the class...is that the class only? The state is still going to get their $150 and more if the person does the fingerprints. Ok, so they don't need to do the fingerprints and that will save.

Where do you draw the line on donations? If they get the ammo free to qualify, are they going to be able to practice and train with whatever type of firearm that is donated or provided for qualification? Are they going to be proficient with that firearm when/if they need it? If they are unable to practice are they going to be safe or a hazard?

I'm not saying that only those that are financially able should be able to be a concealed carry holder but there are a lot more aspects besides the initial qualification class/shoot that come into play. Hopefully those that are taking on the responsibility of an FCCL also understand that there is a liability aspect to having to use their firearm. Will you donate the insurance premium as well?

The Second Amendment is meant for all United States citizens and I put my time in the Marine Corps to help ensure the security of our Constitution.

However those things that sound great on the surface usually have an underlying current that some miss or choose to ignore.

I believe that you could instruct someone how to shoot and defend themselves. But before you jump into something as complicated as concealed carry in the general society, please examine what you may inadvertently be setting up the recipient of your good deeds up with a huge responsibility that they may, in reality, not be able to shoulder.

There is more to it than just a class.

I've carried for 3 yrs on a $26 PA permit with zero formal training untill I got my IL permit. I don't feel any more "qualified " than I did before, and don't feel I was ever a danger to society. It wasn't untill I took my first tactical class before I felt like I even learned anything . Do states with no permit requirements or no training requirements have big problems with untrained people carrying shooting up places because they don't know how to shoot?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

This sounds great, salute to you guys. It's hard when training is 300, license 150, then the person needs a carry gun/ammo/holsters etc. I know a young lady who runs trails daily by herself and is waiting for costs to become lower. She got her Foid, and took her a year to save for a TCP. Now she is trying to save for training but just signed up for a community class for self defense hand to hand by her village. I think that cost was always the number one obstacle for a lot of people. I am still paying off my fees, everything went on a credit card for me. Hard for people that have zero savings and live paycheck to paycheck.

I've waived quite a few over the last 8 years. Usually the host of the class will ask "can you waive for one person if I bring 8+ people " seems a good system they know who's hurting. Gives them an incentive to fill the class. I have an 83 year old friend thats been hosting me for 2 classes a year for 5 years now the range fee is he brings someone who can't afford the class.

I don't like writing blank checks and I don't like top down charity seems too easy to abuse. 1 on 1 is where its at.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

^This

My only motive is activism. I have donated a lot of time and money to the NRA and ISRA over my entire adult life and have been an activist for this cause since I became an adult many moons ago.

I am disappointed that it is still prohibitive for many of my fellow Illinoisans. I can't afford to do this often but I just want to give a little more back. Walking around every day with the piece of mind knowing that I am now able to legally carry a firearm to protect myself and family while someone else is trying to figure out how much money they have to pull out of this weeks grocery budget to save for a concealed carry permit doesn't sit well with me.

Will some abuse the generosity of others? Sure. But that doesn't stop me from trying to help others.

Thanks to all of you who have offered to help and if something happens here I will contact you guys to take you up on the offer. Now what we need is someone who can put us together with the right group of people. Personally I would love to do this for people who can't afford it and live in the more crime infested areas of Cook county but again, any area will do.

Does anyone have a church group or other organization near an area like that? Dealing with a church or other social group could help sort out some of the wheat from the chaff as far as who really can't afford the class.

It can be done this way of assembling a whole class (totally a legitimate method), or as I do, in my regular paying classes with folks I know who I know do not have the money for all the training. I have a heart for single mothers who are struggling financially but want to get good pistol training and be able to legally carry. I just charge them a very small fee for my NRA Basic Pistol and my CLIC 8-hr class. For the ones I know, the small fee helps them have some dignity about it (none of them have a free-loader mentality). I just tell to them to not mention it in the class when they pay. They just hand me the check.

I've carried for 3 yrs on a $26 PA permit with zero formal training untill I got my IL permit. I don't feel any more "qualified " than I did before, and don't feel I was ever a danger to society. It wasn't untill I took my first tactical class before I felt like I even learned anything . Do states with no permit requirements or no training requirements have big problems with untrained people carrying shooting up places because they don't know how to shoot?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

In that recent article in the News-Gazette (Champaign), someone commented about how 16 hours wasn't too much, they were clearly not carry fans. I then shared with them about how Indiana has had carry for thirty years with no training requirement and there's been little sign to speak of of a problem there. I told them it's all in their head, the fear.

How about, Reaching out...

Englewood, Gresham, Austin, Contact the alderman's asking for there help to set up a place to offer your services at a discount rate.

Maybe Midwest will jump on board as a place to do qualifications.

I'd be willing to help in Foid and Application processing on sight.

I'm sure we could get enough people with suv's to transport to the range

Just a thought...

I offered free classes while we were waiting to make the instructor list, and had a lot of interest. However once I ran the classes, only a few who were originally interested took advantage of the offer. The free people were nice enough to leave a tip though, so that was nice. I don't do it as a business or advertise, so it's tough to even put a class together when the market is saturated like it is. My training is mainly for any friends and family, so I let the guys who do it for a living make their money. I would starve if I had to do it for a living.

Archived