California Ban on High Capacity Magazines Rule Unconstitutional

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RevWildman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

"A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has thrown out California's ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines. The panel's majority ruled Friday that the law banning magazines holding more than 10 bullets violates the constitutional right to bear firearms."

And a link...

https://ktla.com/new...-appeals-court/

NRA Lifetime Member

#2 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

Miracles do happen on the 9th Circus.  

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#3 byxlaw

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

Botach.com already sent a CA sales flyer Sent using Tapatalk

#4 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

"A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has thrown out [/size]California's ban on high-[/size]capacity ammunition [/size]magazines. The panel's majority ruled Friday that the law [/size]banning magazines holding more than 10 bullets violates the constitutional right to bear firearms."[/size]

And a link...[/size]

I want to be the first to congratulate you on beating MollyB by 13 minutes!
Be looking for you prize right here very soon!

#5 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 17,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

"A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has thrown out [/size]California's ban on high-[/size]capacity ammunition [/size]magazines. The panel's majority ruled Friday that the law [/size]banning magazines holding more than 10 bullets violates the constitutional right to bear firearms."[/size]

And a link...[/size]

:yes1: :D

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#6 bmyers

• Members
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:42 PM

And a link...[/size]

My guess is Molly B couldn't believe her eyes and had to read the ruling a few times to make sure she was reading it right.  :P

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#7 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 17,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

My guess is Molly B couldn't believe her eyes and had to read the ruling a few times to make sure she was reading it right.  :P

You know me too well!!  I sure did!! and had to read the dissenting opinions also, just to make sure!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#8 soundguy

• 7,583 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:11 PM

This seems like good news for Cook County and other Illinois burgs with AWBs and mag restrictions...

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#9 mab22

• 1,581 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:19 PM

AMEN!

https://bearingarms....uit-mag-ban-2a/

Judge Kenneth Lee, writing for the majority, declared that “even well intentioned laws must pass constitutional muster,” arguing that California’s ban on so-called large capacity magazines should be invalidated because it “strikes at the core of the Second Amendment – the right to armed self defense.”

California’s law imposes a substantial burden on this right to self-defense. The ban makes it criminal for Californians to own magazines that come standard in Glocks, Berettas, and other handguns that are staples of self-defense. Its scope is so sweeping that half of all magazines in America are now unlawful to own in California. Even law-abiding citizens, regardless of their training and track record, must alter or turn over to the state any LCMs that they may have legally owned for years — or face up to a year in jail.

The state of California has latitude in enacting laws to curb the scourge of gun violence, and has done so by imposing waiting periods and many other limitations. But the Second Amendment limits the state’s ability to second guess a citizen’s choice of arms if it imposes a substantial burden on her right to self-defense. Many Californians may find solace in the security of a handgun equipped with an LCM: those who live in rural areas where the local sheriff may be miles away, law-abiding citizens trapped in high crime areas, communities that distrust or depend less on law enforcement, and many more who rely on their firearms to protect themselves and their families. California’s almost blanket ban on LCMs goes too far in substantially burdening the people’s right to self-defense.

Void the FOID!

#10 101abn

• 1,108 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:28 PM

I’m thinking that the present climate on defunding the police and all the disruption and looting may have played a role in this judgement Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Μολὼν λαβέ

#11 ScopeEye

• 1,615 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

Now if there was ammo to fill the mags...

#12 chislinger

• Members
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

I'm not gettiing excited about this, we've seen this act several times before in the 9th. The AG will appeal for an en banc hearing, the hearing will be granted and a stay put in place. the full court will overturn, and SCOTUS will refuse to hear an appeal. Probably for the best since Roberts has now shown his disdain for the Bill of Rights.

#13 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:04 AM

Now to repeal the NFA, some of us would feel safer with machineguns or short bqrrel shotguns.

#14 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:22 AM

I agree with chrislinger.  An appeal will be filed and a stay put in place and the mags will be "illegal" again.

We've all seen this before.

#15 Sweeper13

• 1,522 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:49 AM

FYI::: 

Bush........Consuelo M. Callahan and 

Trump.....Kenneth K. Lee,

Clinton.... Barbara M. G. Lynn

Edited by Sweeper13, 15 August 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#16 JTHunter

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

Now if there was ammo to fill the mags...

What?  You weren't a "Boy Scout" and thought ahead about this and were "well prepared"??  Tsk - tsk.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users