Section 65 a (10)

b.dawson

(10) Any public gathering or special event conducted on

property open to the public that requires the issuance of a

permit from the unit of local government, provided this

prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk

through a public gathering in order to access his or her

residence, place of business, or vehicle.

I'm figuring out more and more that IL restrictions are ridiculous!

Would this section apply to carnivals/car shows put on in a town square or something of the like? How do I know if a license was required(my town is pretty unenforced on licensing requirements)? Shouldn't there be some kind of posting?

Just looking for other's thoughts.

Would this section apply to carnivals/car shows put on in a town square or something of the like? How do I know if a license was required(my town is pretty unenforced on licensing requirements)? Shouldn't there be some kind of posting?

Read in conjunction with the beginning of the section: "Sec. 65. Prohibited areas.

(a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:"

Conviction requires a knowing act. Unless the state can prove that you knew (or arguably should have known) that the public gathering required a permit, you should not be convicted. This would be accomplished by posting. But as others here will remind you, the fact that you should win the criminal prosecution does not necessarily prevent arrest and at least temporary seizure of your firearm. Further, subsection (d) does require the posting of signage. what is not clear is whether a failure to post an area that is clearly a prohibited area (e.g. school) is a get out of jail free card.

Most city events I've been to, have a sign in the entrance. "No Guns", "No Weapons", "No Firearms", etc. But this is only at the main entrance, not any small entrances you randomly find throughout the event.

But yeah... I think that pretty much means any public event, since I think a permit is required to even spit on the side walk.

Gotta have the signs at the entrances. It's the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

There's no requirement in statute to assume non-posted locations are prohibited. There's no requirement to research the location.

There is a requirement that the event organizers, if they're in a prohibited location or running a prohibited event, share that knowledge via appropriate signage. That's the basis on which a "knowingly carried" charge can be made.

If prohibited, the organizers are required by Law to post. As others have said, look for the signs!

With all the CCL restricted areas, it seems you can only carry legally if you drive to a gas station to get gas. I'll bet you can list fewer areas you are allowed to carry in Illinois than not allowed.

Yeah, it's a pain. Why bother going through the expense and hassle to get a CCL then?

It's much better to sit around the virtual table and say "I wuz gonna git me one-a-them concealed permits, but I'll just sit here and let Mike Madigan and Lil' Debby Mell win another one by default".

;)

With all the CCL restricted areas, it seems you can only carry legally if you drive to a gas station to get gas. I'll bet you can list fewer areas you are allowed to carry in Illinois than not allowed.

I don't find this the case - only rarely do I have to disarm outside of work ( hospital )

I don't find this the case - only rarely do I have to disarm outside of work ( hospital )

+1. I can conveniently avoid everywhere that does post, because there are so few.

The only places around here I routinely go that can't carry are the Hospital, Post Office, and Government Buildings - virtually nothing else is posted....

If a street is closed, there's probably a permit involved.

there's no permits in our little hick town for this so ...

concealed is .....

We don't even have to get a building permit in my county.

Some folks moved down here from Chicago and went to the county seat to get a building permit.

The clerk told them "you don't need a building permit here - this is America!!!"

All we are required to have is a percolation test for a septic system - you can still have an outhouse if you want one!!

I carry all over the place just like everyone else.

OK lets see First Bank & Trust and Dairy Queen and Ideal Lawn and Garden (all have handguns welcome signs) Kroger, Rural King, Regions Bank, SIU Credit Union, Shnuchs Grocery, Fresh Foods Store, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Lowes, Mc Donalds, Auto Shop, Auto Zone, Napa, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chillis, Dollar Tree, Arbys,Macys, Kohls, Lone Star, Martels, Panera Bread, Menards, Matrix Sales (have a handguns welcome sign) Thrift shop, American Gas and Wash, Shell, Circle K, JC Penny, Dollar General, Big Lots, 5 Below, Home Improvement Warehouse, Genes Barber Shop, Leady Feed, Wright Building Center

The list above isn't a total list of places I can carry of course, but it is a lot longer than the states "criminal protection zone list"!

Archived