POSTED! - NO CARRY Signs

mauserme

Please remove First Bankers Trust, Quincy IL (all locations). We convinced them to remove the signs.

Great news, I sent them a letter as I have my mortgage there.

I added all the Heartland Bank and Trust locations I could find to the posted app, as they were all posted. Now all but one seemed to have removed the signs. I'm going to wait a bit, then give a call to the gentleman I spoke with at corporate and see if they changed policy. I'm hoping my (and possibly others too) previous conversation helped/is helping.

Yes, we asked. And yes, our insurance is going up now.

If your policy breaks down the cost of liability coverage versus property, I would be interested to know in which section the increase is most significant. I'd guess it's mostly in the property lines.

If there is an increase in the liability premium that didn't result from prior claims, ask your agent if prohibiting carry would reduce the cost. I'm not suggesting you should prohibit carry but, if there is no provision for that kind of reduction, then the increase is likely part of a general rate change unrelated to carry.

I saw that RL restaurant on Chicago Ave and Michigan Ave was posted. It's not conspicuous though since they posted it high in a window, mounted in a picture frame, above their business/liquor license, partially covered by an awning/overhang and not on their inner or outer doors. I didn't have any time to stop and drop off a card since I was running late to a meeting.

If your policy breaks down the cost of liability coverage versus property, I would be interested to know in which section the increase is most significant. I'd guess it's mostly in the property lines.

If there is an increase in the liability premium that didn't result from prior claims, ask your agent if prohibiting carry would reduce the cost. I'm not suggesting you should prohibit carry but, if there is no provision for that kind of reduction, then the increase is likely part of a general rate change unrelated to carry.

I work for an insurance company. If you're in a position for decision/input, you could ask your carrier for their actuarial review/rating showing that CCW increases losses... A comparision to Wisconsin would be good, since they're the most recent state to allow CCW.

I work for an insurance company. If you're in a position for decision/input, you could ask your carrier for their actuarial review/rating showing that CCW increases losses... A comparision to Wisconsin would be good, since they're the most recent state to allow CCW.

There is a great deal more latitude for an underwriter in the pricing of a commercial risk. Most rate plans will have several subjective criteria for the underwriter to raise or decrease rates on the policy within a defined percentage range. I would be surprised to find that there is a whole lot of actuarial analysis regarding concealed carry as it relates to pricing insurance. To do that analysis the insurance company would first have to be able to capture the data and have asked for it at the time the application came in. I'd be shocked if the data is sufficient for most carriers to even perform the analysis in a way that has any credibility.

At a committee hearing today I showed one of the Cook County SA guys the BWW sign. He said not compliant. And would be hard to prosecute in his judgement. He also thought that the signs posted at less than conspicous locations would be hard to prove as well

Now we just need to figure put the"strike zone" for what conspicuous means...

Apparently, there is a parking garage on E. Randolph St, in Chicago that is posted. Didn't stop this guy. Tribune has a story and pic of the doorway here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-police-man-dead-of-selfinflicted-gunshot-in-loop-garage-20140227,0,3603263.story Looks like a self inflected GSW.

• Seigle's Cabinet Center has posted in Elgin. Sent them an email. His reply: Warren, The best part about America is our diversity and our tolerance. Appear you and I will have to disagree about Concealed Carry. That shouldn't discredit us a the best source for your cabinetry and countertop needs.

How I would respond:

"Actually, I agree with you completely. Diversity and tolerance are critical. Unfortunately, your intolerance of my Constitutional rights means that you will not allow me to patronize your business. Should you choose to be more tolerant of basic, inalienable rights in the future, I will gladly come back.

As for now, you've been added to the our app so that gun owners around the state will know to steer clear.

Best regards,"

• Seigle's Cabinet Center has posted in Elgin. Sent them an email. His reply: Warren, The best part about America is our diversity and our tolerance. Appear you and I will have to disagree about Concealed Carry. That shouldn't discredit us a the best source for your cabinetry and countertop needs.

Maybe you could provide his email address here so those of us in the area could drop him a quick note letting him know that we agree with his views on "diversity" and that's why we'll be taking our business to his competitors.

Actually, I'll call them for a quote first. Then call them back after I cannot enter their property to pay - due to the sign. THEN send them the receipt from a competitor.

WAY better way to make the point. Let them do all the work and drool at the profit they'll make off you, then "notice" the sign.

wasn't a guy named seigle runing for office once upon a time?

Harry Seigle. Ran unsuccessfully for comptroller (Republican) in 98. Same family as the owner of Seigles Cabinet.

I liked what Scots had to say about a reply, so I used it as a jumping off point. Here's how I ended up responding:

"Actually, I agree with you completely. Diversity and tolerance are critical. Unfortunately, your sign shows intolerance of a basic Constitutional right. That does not discredit you in regards to possibly being the best source for my cabinetry and countertop needs, but in this case, it's the principle, not the money that is driving my decision to choose not to do business with you. It's not unlike my decision to not go with Cabinets to Go ... they were able to beat the big box stores' price, but when I learned their cabinets are made in China, I chose not to go with them because I believe in America first. I would definitely prefer to do business with a local company rather than a big box store, but not at the expense of my principles. If that means going to a big box store that has not posted a no ccw sign, so be it. Again, if you decide to remove your sign in the near future, please let me know and I would be happy to patronize your business.

As for now, you've been added to the Posted list at illinoiscarry.com so that other gun owners in the area will know to steer clear.

Thank you for taking time to respond."

Here's the link to their "contact us" page if you would like to also respectfully express your opinion: http://seigles.com/contact-us/

I used seigles for cabinetry in my current home. I'm buying a new home in a couple if months - will need many new cabinets and counters (doors as well). I'll make sure to mail them a copy of my receipt from a competitor with a note as to why they didn't get my business.

Actually, I'll call them for a quote first. Then call them back after I cannot enter their property to pay - due to the sign. THEN send them the receipt from a competitor.

WAY better way to make the point. Let them do all the work and drool at the profit they'll make off you, then "notice" the sign.

I feel it might be better to be upfront with why I am not willing to do business with them, opening conversation and possibly changing their minds. RoadyRunner, if you've already done business with them, you might consider telling them that and then telling them why you feel you cannot do business with them again, and see if they're willing to keep your business. Just my two cents ...

Insurance companies have, with some exceptions, historically been allowed a degree of legal discrimination in setting their rates. Young drivers, for example, are often charged more for car insurance than older drivers because statistics show the less experienced are more likely to have an accident. I'm aware of one case, however, where a class action suit was brought against an insurer who increased the premium when a young driver was added, and the policy failed to include wording stating that rates may change for this and other changes in risk.

Commercial policies have much more pricing flexibility than personal policies but, if an increase was based on assumption rather than statistics, I could see a possibility of something like that. It wouldn't be easy, though.

I liked what Scots had to say about a reply, so I used it as a jumping off point. Here's how I ended up responding:

"Actually, I agree with you completely. Diversity and tolerance are critical. Unfortunately, your sign shows intolerance of a basic Constitutional right. That does not discredit you in regards to possibly being the best source for my cabinetry and countertop needs, but in this case, it's the principle, not the money that is driving my decision to choose not to do business with you. It's not unlike my decision to not go with Cabinets to Go ... they were able to beat the big box stores' price, but when I learned their cabinets are made in China, I chose not to go with them because I believe in America first. I would definitely prefer to do business with a local company rather than a big box store, but not at the expense of my principles. If that means going to a big box store that has not posted a no ccw sign, so be it. Again, if you decide to remove your sign in the near future, please let me know and I would be happy to patronize your business.

As for now, you've been added to the Posted list at illinoiscarry.com so that other gun owners in the area will know to steer clear.

Thank you for taking time to respond."

Here's the link to their "contact us" page if you would like to also respectfully express your opinion: http://seigles.com/contact-us/

Great letter! Let us know if he responds.

:thumbsup: That's the best way, IMO. You let them know in actual $$ what their poorly-thought-out decision to post will cost them right now...

Archived