Davis v Yenchko (FOID revocations)

On 4/2/2023 at 1:11 PM, steveTA84 said:

Well it appears now that the only way they can revoke a FOID card is through convictions that would make someone a prohibited person. Shouldn’t this now be applied to the red flag law here?

It should be applied to red flag laws yes, and it should also be applied immediately and retroactively to all that were wrongfully denied with written notice they were wronged!  It should also be applied to the carry laws that is still very much a permission slip even if you are not prohibited.

Watch, Illinois now try to say that the crime was maybe a prohibited crime even if the crime they were ultimently convicted of wasn't, as they did previously in 👇

On 4/6/2023 at 10:08 AM, mauserme said:

Did he challenge the constitutionality of the Act in it's entirety or only the way is was being applied to persons charged with, but not convicted of, a crime?

From the article in the locked thread - https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2023/04/05/judge-rules-illinois-cannot-suspend-foid-cards-of-people-charged-not-convicted-of-felonies/

The ruling from Madison County Associate Judge Donald Foster signed March 10 says the law allowing Illinois State Police to suspend FOID cards “is hereby declared unconstitutional as applied to persons charged with a felony but not yet convicted of a felony.”

On 4/6/2023 at 3:38 PM, John Q Public said:

But they can still revoke for an OP exparte? I couldn't read the doc, it was too blurred for my old eyes.

Since the case is only about people charged with a crime, but not convicted, the decision only affects the application of law to people charged with crimes.

No doubt the logic could be applied to orders of protection, as well, but that's going to have to be some other case.

going after the issue of firearms bans as a condition of bail especially when the charge is not a prohibiting one is something we should look at as well as supervision, a DUI does not make you as prohibited person, so why loose your rights after being arested as a condition of bail or while on supervision if the conviction would not disqualify you?

Even though this is a small win for 2A in IL, I am not sure how this would affect the 4473 forms. ATF got real specific on "charged crimes" with the new 4473 forms that began on April 1 and even though we would not get our FOID Card revoked, we could still be in hot water checking "No" on the 4474 form. The ATF actually does care about "charged crimes."

On 4/7/2023 at 7:34 AM, ealcala31 said:

Even though this is a small win for 2A in IL, I am not sure how this would affect the 4473 forms. ATF got real specific on "charged crimes" with the new 4473 forms that began on April 1 and even though we would not get our FOID Card revoked, we could still be in hot water checking "No" on the 4474 form. The ATF actually does care about "charged crimes."

One battle at a time. 

On 4/7/2023 at 2:13 PM, John Q Public said:

That's the problem, we do one, and they do 20, on and on and on. We need a serious btchslap from the SC to stop all this nonsense. 

I 2nd the btchslap...

On 4/6/2023 at 10:57 PM, Tvandermyde said:

going after the issue of firearms bans as a condition of bail especially when the charge is not a prohibiting one is something we should look at as well as supervision, a DUI does not make you as prohibited person, so why loose your rights after being arested as a condition of bail or while on supervision if the conviction would not disqualify you?

100% agree, that is why I brought it up, it's certainly something that should be challenged.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...