Sanctuary gun counties in Illinois

Ranger

Today's ISRA bulletin mentions sanctuary counties.

Now there are 26 counties that have joined the Sanctuary for Gun Owners movement, with another 14 counties considering such resolutions.

There's also a version of the map.

I know it is tough to stay current. The number is now 30+ and Kevins map is more current.

Jo Daviess vote failed with a tie vote.

Full story at link...

http://www.telegraphherald.com/news/tri-state/article_d87e2820-6bea-58eb-99cc-3cb40d038122.html

GALENA, Ill. A symbolic stand against firearm regulations was halted this week in Jo Daviess County when county leaders did not pass a resolution opposing potential state-mandated gun-control measures.

The resolution, which failed on an 8-8 vote of the county board, would have indicated a county stance against some of those bills.

Board members previously considered creating a gun sanctuary in which county employees would be urged not to enforce certain gun-control measures enacted by the state Legislature.

However, that effort was abandoned at the urging of Jo Daviess County States Attorney John Hay. The language was shifted to instead send a message to lawmakers expressing the countys displeasure.

The resolution proposed by Jo Daviess County was taken from a similar resolution passed in Effingham County. The resolution originally was proposed by the countys legislative committee, which voted to bring it before the full county board.

Last month, board members tabled the resolution to give Hay time to study its legality.

In addition to urging board members to eliminate the non-enforcement requirement, Hay also questioned the precedent that the resolution would set regarding the countys role in national political issues.

Does the board want to get into the precedent of making decisions or resolutions or recommendations on constitutional issues, issues that they have no authority to decide one way or the other on? Hay asked, later stating, It may encourage more issues like this being brought up.

During the meeting, Republican Board Member Steve Allendorf expressed his opposition to the resolution. He said it is not the county boards place to pass a resolution that makes a political statement.

I believe in the right to bear arms, but Im elected to represent the people, Allendorf said. If we dont have the authority to do this, then why are we doing it?

Board Member Rick Dittmar, also a Republican, said he supported the resolution, noting that he felt it is important to stand up against what he views as a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

We approve this because we are all just trying to re-affirm our support of the Constitution, Dittmar said. We all took that oath to uphold the Constitution, and Im going to work to uphold the Constitution as it stands, not the watered-down version state legislators are trying to push on us.

The news of the resolution being struck down resulted in an eruption of applause on one end of the room, while the rest of the room remained silent.

Board President R.J. Winkelhake, a Republican who opposed the resolution, encouraged members of the board and county residents to support efforts that would more effectively reduce gun violence.

We have to work at issues that make an impact, Winkelhake said. This thing were talking about now makes no difference.

Full story at link...

http://www.wjbc.com/2018/07/12/growing-number-of-gun-sanctuary-counties-sparks-concern/

Growing number of gun sanctuary counties sparks concern

Posted on July 12, 2018

By Illinois Radio Network

SPRINGFIELD – In Illinois, gun laws are being discussed at the local level in county and city governments in a trend that some see as a political charade and others see as a fight against reactionary legislation.

The Belleville News-Democrat reported that 26 of Illinois’ 102 counties have some resolution making the jurisdiction a safe haven for law-abiding gun owners. The efforts resemble so-called “sanctuary cities,” where officials vote on resolutions urging local law enforcement not to comply with federal immigration laws. For gun sanctuary counties in Illinois, the resolutions urge local law enforcement not to enforce state or federal gun control measures.

Mark Walsh from the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, which supports gun-control legislation, said his group is reacting.

“While this is quote-unquote symbolic, it also sends a message to people that these groups think gun ownership is more important than protecting human life,” Walsh said.

Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson said those pushing for the sanctuary resolutions are sending a message to groups supporting gun control legislation.

“They only affect the law-abiding gun owner and they only affect the law abiding firearms dealer,” Pearson said. “They’re just trying to push gun control down the throats of Illinois citizens who don’t deserve it.”

Walsh said his coalition is keeping an eye on the growing number of gun sanctuary counties, but said he believes it’s just an election year political stunt.

“It’s just interesting to me that some of these counties that are dealing with it are the same ones that went incredibly red in an otherwise blue state in an presidential election,” Walsh said.

Pearson said that’s not the case, but said he does expect the grassroots movement to be adopted in other states.

“I think this will probably spread across the United States because gun owners are tired of being beaten up for things they didn’t do,” Pearson said.

Pearson said he wasn’t aware of any other states where gun sanctuary counties are popping up. He said a county in Oregon inquired with ISRA about what’s happening in Illinois, but didn’t have any other details.

I know the reds mean NO but what do the blues and yellows mean?

Any word on Cook? I havent gotten a response yet.

When we get a response we can color them on the map.

Expecting to color them commie red.

Here are then colors on the map.

Red - Refused to consider or voted against gun sanctuary resolution.

Yellow - Passed other non-gun sanctuary bill against state anti-2A legislation.

Blue - Pending citizen vote.

Green - Passed

Any update on McDonough County from 7/2?

MEETING DATE: MEETING TIME: Law & Legal July 2, 2018 7:00 P.M.

New Business (and items referred from other committees):

JP McLaughlin Sanctuary County

Just to note...this was at the law and legal committee...after posting I read this vote is for the committee and it still needs a full county board vote.

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/20180705/cremer-named-chief-deputy

By Patrick Stout, Voice Correspondent

Posted Jul 5, 2018 at 12:05 AM

MACOMB McDonough County Sheriff Nick Petitgout introduced his new chief deputy, Adam Cremer, to the county boards law and legal committee Monday.

In other business, a local group requested county board endorsement of the county as a sanctuary county for 2nd Amendment rights. J. P. McLaughlin, a small business owner who teaches weapons training and sells guns, said 27 Illinois counties have already passed such resolutions.

Another member of the group, Marcus Hess, said, This is a fundamental liberty issue, We want to send a message.

The committee was asked to recommend a resolution opposing state enactment of anti-gun legislation. A draft document stated, The people of McDonough County derive economic benefit from all safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting and shooting using all types of firearms allowable under the United States Constitution.

McLaughlin said, We need to send a message to Springfield and Chicago. He said that he has trained 800 people in the safe use of firearms.

States Attorney Matt Kwacala said he considers the proposed resolution more of a PR thing. He said it wouldnt have legal standing. Once a law is passed, its presumed to be the law unless a court says differently.

Kwacala said he opposed one section in the proposed resolution that stated McDonough County will prohibit its employees from enforcing the unconstitutional actions of the state government.

He said he cannot endorse ignoring any state law.

County Board Chairman Scott Schwerer agreed, Disobeying the law can lead to anarchy, he said. Thats not the way I would want us to go.

Committee member Clarke Kelso moved that the resolution be recommended with the objected language removed. The committee approved the recommendation with one dissent, from member Alice Henry.

Noting the support of other Illinois counties, McLaughlin said, Im not normally a bandwagon person but this issue is hitting close to home....Its catching on nationwide.

Also. Schuyler County has their vote scheduled for August some time. Jason Goddard on the board there messaged me to let me know.

Thanks! Thought I would summarize current state of some counties based on bits and pieces I have read.

So there is Schuyler (?) and Marion (8/7) county to vote in August.

https://www.facebook.com/Marion-county-IL-sanctuary-For-Law-Abiding-Gun-Owners-2019215421738808/

McDonough has passed committee and waiting for full vote. July 18th board meeting. passed.

Adams and Greene are reported to have already passed.

Calhoun reported to vote this upcoming week.(Mon) passed 7/16 see link below

Looks like more green on its way to the map.

Edit: Livingston County this Thursday 7/19 passed

ETA: Also read that Jo Daviess might make another attempt to get past the tie vote

Also. Schuyler County has their vote scheduled for August some time. Jason Goddard on the board there messaged me to let me know.

Thanks! Thought I would summarize current state of some counties based on bits and pieces I have read.

So there is Schuyler and Marion county to vote in August.

https://www.facebook.com/Marion-county-IL-sanctuary-For-Law-Abiding-Gun-Owners-2019215421738808/

McDonough has passed committee and waiting for full vote. August also I would guess.

Adams and Greene are reported to have already passed.

Calhoun reported to vote this upcoming week.

Looks like more green on its way to the map.

ETA: Also read that Jo Daviess might make another attempt to get past the tie vote

Much like that old fast food tagline, I'm loving it!

Calhoun County's vote is supposed to be today, actually. I'm waiting on the Sheriff's Office to announce it when it happens.

https://www.facebook.com/166146735658/photos/pcb.10156268530980659/10156268530560659/?type=3&theater

Calhoun County has also passed a sanctuary resolution as of these reports today

https://www.riverbender.com/articles/details/calhoun-unanimously-passes-gun-sanctuary-county-ordinance-sheriff-gives-support-29576.cfm

HARDIN - Today, the Calhoun County Board of County Commissioners, unanimously passed a resolution to make Calhoun County a Gun Sanctuary County.

Calhoun County Sheriff's Office added 2 new photos.

49 mins ·

******GOOD NEWS*******

The 2nd Amendment is protected here in Calhoun County.

Your rights are protected here in Calhoun County.

Today, the Calhoun County Board of County Commissioners, unanimously passed a resolution to make Calhoun County a Gun Sanctuary County.

Sheriff Bill Heffington and the entire Sheriff's Office is very happy about this.

Very nice to know that Calhoun County has a State's Attorney and a County Board that supports the 2nd Amendment and helps the citizens protect their Constitutional Rights.

Will county update anyone? Anyone here besides me reside in Will county?

I do, and I have not heard anything about Will County.

If I hear anything I will post it here.

Today's full board meeting was uneventful. At last month's meeting they said they're still working on it. The next Legislative Committee Meeting is Aug 14th at 9am. The next full board meeting is Aug 16th at 9am.

I was informed this evening by Bill Mays on the Livingston board that they passed their gun owner sanctuary resolution tonight by a vote of 11 to 6. Bill was the main proponent on the board pushing for it, and he said he used our Gun Sanctuary Counties Map on the Gun Rights Watch page on Facebook to help convince the other board members to vote for it.

I was informed this evening by Bill Mays on the Livingston board that they passed their gun owner sanctuary resolution tonight by a vote of 11 to 6. Bill was the main proponent on the board pushing for it, and he said he used our Gun Sanctuary Counties Map on the Gun Rights Watch page on Facebook to help convince the other board members to vote for it.

Thanks for keeping up in the area. I think that makes 5 more counties that we have seen reported in just one week since the last map update. Calhoun, Adams, Greene, McDonough, Livingston. Thats pretty amazing.

Adams County - June

edit: Anyone have more detail on what Adams actually did this month in July? i.e. sanctuary resolution vs a proclamation to ILGA/GOV

Not that I dont trust people, but below is why I like to post a confirmation link as some of these counties are throwing their own spin and doing something a bit different than the 2nd amendment resolutions most started with.

http://www.whig.com/20180613/adams-county-board-passes-much-better-indigent-death-policy#//

County Board Chairman Les Post spent six and a half minutes reading a proclamation put forth by the Legislative and Judicial Committee that voiced the county's opposition to gun reform bills currently being considered in the Illinois General Assembly. The proclamation said the bills violate the Second, Fourth, and possibly Fifth and Eighth amendments.

The proclamation said, if the bills pass, they would create "instant felons upon passage ... confusion among firearm owners and dealers ... and put dealers in jeopardy of unknowingly violating the law."

The County Board tabled the proclamation until next month. If approved, it will be sent to the General Assembly and Gov. Bruce Rauner's office. The Legislative and Judicial Committee originally had considered declaring Adams County a sanctuary county for gun owners but decided such a measure would put the state's attorney and sheriff in the position of contradicting state law.

McDonough County

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/20180720/county-board-endorses-firearms-resolution

County Board endorses firearms resolution

MACOMB McDonough County joined 33 other Illinois counties Wednesday in approving a resolution to the state opposing any changes regarding firearms possession. An audience of 72 came to the courthouse to witness the boards discussion of the issue.

Prior to the vote, board members asked that the audience be polled on the Second Amendment resolution. Of those present, 54 said they favored it and eight were opposed. County Board Chairman Scott Schwerer said he received written comments from 12 people who opposed the resolution and none in favor.

The county board passed the resolution by a vote of 11 to 3 with four members abstaining and three absent. Board members debated whether the county should take a position on what is primarily a state and federal issue.

This resolution voices our opinion, said board member George Dixon. But board member Paul Trimmer said he felt it was improper. By supporting this, were saying we have no faith in our government, he said. Its an issue we have absolutely no control over as a county board, added board member Trevor Toland.

Macomb resident J. P. McLaughlin had submitted the resolution to the county board for approval. We come to you at the grassroots level, he said. Youre our voice.

Christian county is listed green and reportedly passed resolution in May but just read this

Anyone with info?

Gun referendum to appear on Nov. ballot

The Christian County Board approved a resolution unanimously which will place an advisory referendum on the Nov. 6 ballot in Christian County. The action took place during the board’s monthly meeting which took place Tuesday night in the courthouse in Taylorville.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

It's been a month or more since I've been around IC. With DeKalb being red, how will this effect members of ASC? By that I mean, since the club only allows legal firearms to be fired on the property, will members be restricted to whatever new laws get on the books? Sorry to be so out of the loop, but I've been really busy with other stuff. I haven't been out to ASC all summer. I'm still trying to convince my wife to move out of state, but I'm fighting an uphill battle over here. Also been working really hard to get Governor Rauner elected.

Any answers on DeKalb will be very helpful. Also, I saw the latest update on Will (my county) in the thread. Please tell me what i can do to get involved and help our cause. Thanks in advance. Hope all my IC brothers and sisters are having an enjoyable and safe summer. Crazy weather and all. peace everyone.

JDW

Christian county is listed green and reportedly passed resolution in May but just read this

Anyone with info?

Gun referendum to appear on Nov. ballot

The Christian County Board approved a resolution unanimously which will place an advisory referendum on the Nov. 6 ballot in Christian County. The action took place during the board’s monthly meeting which took place Tuesday night in the courthouse in Taylorville.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Some boards are passing the resolution which sends a message, then print then putting a referendum on the ballot which sends an even stronger message to legislators.

It's been a month or more since I've been around IC. With DeKalb being red, how will this effect members of ASC? By that I mean, since the club only allows legal firearms to be fired on the property, will members be restricted to whatever new laws get on the books? Sorry to be so out of the loop, but I've been really busy with other stuff. I haven't been out to ASC all summer. I'm still trying to convince my wife to move out of state, but I'm fighting an uphill battle over here. Also been working really hard to get Governor Rauner elected.

Any answers on DeKalb will be very helpful. Also, I saw the latest update on Will (my county) in the thread. Please tell me what i can do to get involved and help our cause. Thanks in advance. Hope all my IC brothers and sisters are having an enjoyable and safe summer. Crazy weather and all. peace everyone.

JDW

I'd say it's a question for the board at ASC. Just spitballing... I'D guess the state law would govern the acceptable items on club property. The resolution is more of a symbolic message that serves two purposes. First it appropriates the concept of "sanctuary" from the progressive movement and rubs their nose in it. Second, it spells out the dissatisfaction we have with reps from gerrymandered districts who don't represent their constituents or defend the constitution. Beyond that, which is useful, I'm pretty sure it will remain up to the district attorney to decide if crimes were committed or if they plan to charge a person for a violation of state law.

It's been a month or more since I've been around IC. With DeKalb being red, how will this effect members of ASC? By that I mean, since the club only allows legal firearms to be fired on the property, will members be restricted to whatever new laws get on the books? ...

I'd say it's a question for the board at ASC. Just spitballing... I'D guess the state law would govern the acceptable items on club property. The resolution is more of a symbolic message that serves two purposes. ...

The county resolution pledges that no county resources (e.g., the sheriff) will be used to enforce gun bans. It doesn't make illegal guns legal.

That's similar to sanctuary city laws. They don't make illegal aliens legal. They just pledge that no local law enforcement, etc., will aid in arresting or processing them.

Even if DeKalb had passed the resolution, ASC would still have to decide if it was going to allow illegal guns on its property. The same thing applies to every other range in the state.

Archived