Moving in from out of state - confusion

jmace57

Sorry in advance if this thread is off the CCL topic, but here goes.

I am a Texan that plans to move to the North of Chicago suburbs (Lake County) in the next year or two. I guess I am a fairly typical Texan in that I have about 100 firearms <grin>. I am a collector of older S&W revolvers, but also have lots of semi-auto pistols with high-capacity magazines and rifles and shotguns (including an AR15).

What I'm trying to figure out is the order in which I need to do things to be legal - some of which seem to be almost un-doable.

They say you need to have an FOID card if you are an IL resident and own firearms. But I need to get a driver's license before that? What if it takes 30 days to get a license? Then it takes 4-6 weeks to get an FOID card. Can I move and legally keep my firearms in Illinois before I get my FOID card?

Are these questions for the ISP? Also, I feel like I should check in advance to find out if there is anything I can do in advance of my actual move where I will have these 100 guns in my car with me. I can just see getting stopped by a cop and have them say "do you have any weapons in your car?". I also plan to sort of go AROUND Chicago as I am moving, staying out of Cook County. Do I need to avoid anywhere else in Illinois as I am passing through because I have an AR with 30 round mags?

Am I worrying too much about this?

I do plan to try and get my CCL after I move up - I have been a CHL (now called LTC) holder in Texas for the past 7 years.,

Thanks all.

Jim

Why Lake County? It's liberal as hades. Go a bit west to McHenry County.

Why IL?

Most parts of Lake County have no restrictions related to mag size, AR or what ever, at least for now.

Stay away from Highland Park....

If your planning to move to Lake county, I would suggest just a few miles north and move to Southern WI...

Everything gun wise is better in WI, no stinking FOID... Cheaper CCL... and more...

I kick my self every day for buying a home in IL (Lake county)

I'm planning to GTFO of IL within the next couple yrs. Hopefully sooner...

Jim, welcome to IllinoisCarry and welcome (soon) to Illinois!

You have plenty of time to get things done. Your TX driver's license is good for 90 days once you move here. The FOID Act requires new residents to obtain a FOID card within 60 days after getting an IL driver's license. You should be good to go bringing your firearms into the state.

Driver's license info is here: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/services/newresidentshowdoi.html

Here's the text from the Act, 430 ILCS 65/2( d ):

"(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card."

I highly recommend reading through the FOID Act sometime to become familiar with it: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657

Lake County is comprised of a wide range of different suburbs that vary income strata, school ratings, home prices, snooty urban types, hostile-to-guns, and conservative communities. Keep asking questions about suburbs that interest you and I'm sure you will get feedback from IC members.

If boating is a hobby, a few suburbs along Lake Michigan have boat launches or harbors. Inland Lake County and McHenry County you have smaller recreational lakes.

Welcome to the forum.

If you end up moving here, we'd love to meet you. There are several grassroots meetings where you can get involved, and people often meet to grab dinner or drinks, and to go shooting together.

You'll need to learn about 'home rule' so you can learn how municipalities are allowed to or prohibited from enacting tactical rifle bans. Stay away from Crook County. Lake County is also hazardous; research individual communities and start asking people on this forum about them. Stay away from Highland Park.

Transportation of firearms: You can transport any firearm (including any long gun) from a location it's allowed to, through a prohibited location, to a location is allowed. This is similar to FOPA's safe passage, but is applied within the state as well. For example, I can drive from a county adjacent to Chicago, through Chicago, and to another county, all with an AR15 and standard cap mags, as long as my departure and destination locations both allow possession of the rifle.

Handguns: We have state per-emption of handguns. There are virtually no municipal handgun restrictions. People will debate magazine capacity restrictions but only one person got hit (remember not going to Highland Park) and he had some other crimes going against him.

RENT VS OWN: Off topic from your question, but you must know that Illinois is up to its eyeballs in debt and unfunded pension obligations, and we got several ratings downgrades including another last week. Something to be cautious about if you're thinking about buying. That 'deal' might not be such a deal when your taxes get jacked up.

CRIME: Make sure you have appropriate secure storage. The part of Illinois you're moving to will likely have higher crime than the part of Texas you're moving from.

Sorry in advance if this thread is off the CCL topic, but here goes.

I am a Texan that plans to move to the North of Chicago suburbs (Lake County) in the next year or two. I guess I am a fairly typical Texan in that I have about 100 firearms <grin>. I am a collector of older S&W revolvers, but also have lots of semi-auto pistols with high-capacity magazines and rifles and shotguns (including an AR15).

What I'm trying to figure out is the order in which I need to do things to be legal - some of which seem to be almost un-doable.

They say you need to have an FOID card if you are an IL resident and own firearms. But I need to get a driver's license before that? What if it takes 30 days to get a license? Then it takes 4-6 weeks to get an FOID card. Can I move and legally keep my firearms in Illinois before I get my FOID card?

Are these questions for the ISP? Also, I feel like I should check in advance to find out if there is anything I can do in advance of my actual move where I will have these 100 guns in my car with me. I can just see getting stopped by a cop and have them say "do you have any weapons in your car?". I also plan to sort of go AROUND Chicago as I am moving, staying out of Cook County. Do I need to avoid anywhere else in Illinois as I am passing through because I have an AR with 30 round mags?

Am I worrying too much about this?

I do plan to try and get my CCL after I move up - I have been a CHL (now called LTC) holder in Texas for the past 7 years.,

Thanks all.

Jim

You have 60 days from getting an IL drivers license to get a FOID.

Have your ducks in a row ahead of time so everything goes smoothly and fast (which is why you're asking I presume).

Take your IL CCL training class ahead of time, so that you can apply for both FOID and CCL at the same time right after you get IL drivers license - that's the fastest way. Ask again when the time comes for any specifics about the application process that might be going on at that time. One thing that might be handy to know ahead of time is that the CCL application requires a listing of the previous 10 years of residences, so try to put together those addresses before moving.

If you have a family, get everyone a FOID.

Keep your TX carry license, you may need the extra states if you travel. Be aware that you'll lose some states that only recognize "resident" licenses like Colorado and Florida.

AW and magazine bans are specific to certain cities/towns, stay out of those localities and you should be fine. Lots and lots of AR15s and magazines in Illinois.

If you have any SBR's, you will need to get a (Federal) C&R FFL before bringing them into Illinois. ATF probably won't approve a transportation form if they're in a trust however.

Other than (I think) a few specific types of AOWs, other NFA are prohibited in IL.

Others will have to give you the specifics about the Chicago area.

As for living in WI, if you have to be in IL for work, (IMO) you would be better off living in IL so you can get full carry rights in IL. IL won't accept a carry license application from a WI (or TX) resident.

jmace57, is this a PCS? Your post reads as if your military, even though you don't come right out and say it. If so, let me know. I can walk you right through everything. I was stationed at Great Lakes from 7/12-7/15 and can tell you everything you do/don't need to worry about.

Btw, Highland Park isn't the only town in Lake County to be concerned about. North Chicago and Highwood are also towns to be concerned of.

Lots of good advice here. I have nothing much to add, except that once you get your CCW, note that there are many more "prohibited areas" where you cannot carry even w/ a license here in Illinois vs. in Texas. And until you have your CCW, make yourself familiar with the laws for legally transporting in Illinois. (They aren't really that bad compared to many states, but you should be aware.) And +1 on taking the Illinois CCW class before you get your DL if you can. Might as well apply for CCW and the FOID immediately at the same time, so you can minimize the amount of time when you cannot carry in IL.

Welcome to the forum, and to Illinois.

If a financial institution holds the title of your vehicle because of a loan, you have to get their approval for you to title your vehicle in another state. That surprise to me step slowed my official transition to Illinois by three or four weeks.

I chose to leave my firearms with a CCW relative while I was making the move. That may not be an option for you. I got my Illinois driver's license and less than an hour later I applied for a FOID. Once my FOID arrived, I then brought my firearms in state. I found that even after "the move," I needed to make several trips to satisfy my realtor and sell my previous home. Yes, it is a long haul from Texas to Illinois. Texas has limitations on when they are to be notified of your change in residency, which affects your Texas CCL. Illinois is slowly moving to the new homeland security driver's license. By the time you make the move, you will not have your driver's license in hand when you walk out of the DMV, but you will be in their system and as soon as you have Internet access after leaving the DMV you can apply for your FOID.

Because of the large number of firearms, I suggest that you travel with more documentation than is technically necessary. Copies of an employment transfer/job offer, copies of a home purchase/lease, insurance coverage, ownership records of the firearms, etc.

My two cents. Welcome to Illinois.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. In response to those who are asking "why IL" or "go to WI"... I am retiring in about 14 months. My daughter lives in Chicago...and will likely be moving to closer to Evanston before long. She has MS, and is hoping to get pregnant soon. My wife and I need to live close to her in order to be able to help. We are trying to be close enough that we could get to her in 30 minutes or less.

I am actually in Chicago now visiting my daughter and son in law...and we spent yesterday driving around up in Lake County. We really liked Lake Bluff and are going today to look there a little more closely. I solicit anyone's opinion of this town(ship?).

Thanks to all suggesting the timing and order of getting the documents and licenses. As I mentioned, I am 14 months (at least) out from moving. I'm a planner, I guess. After moving I sure would like to get in touch with you guys.

Jim

Why would anyone move here on purpose?

That should be a pinned thread unto its own.

jmace57, welcome. I expect with the numbers of Il citizens currently jumping the fence to escape it won't be long before the state requires anyone applying for a permit to leave be able to fill their spot with someone wanting to come in, meaning that by the time you are ready to settle here you might be able to get some poor land of lincoln slob to pay you.

Why would anyone move here on purpose?

That should be a pinned thread unto its own.

jmace57, welcome. I expect with the numbers of Il citizens currently jumping the fence to escape it won't be long before the state requires anyone applying for a permit to leave be able to fill their spot with someone wanting to come in, meaning that by the time you are ready to settle here you might be able to get some poor land of lincoln slob to pay you.

Now, now. Illinois isn't Battle City, NV.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. In response to those who are asking "why IL" or "go to WI"... I am retiring in about 14 months. My daughter lives in Chicago...and will likely be moving to closer to Evanston before long. She has MS, and is hoping to get pregnant soon. My wife and I need to live close to her in order to be able to help. We are trying to be close enough that we could get to her in 30 minutes or less.

I am actually in Chicago now visiting my daughter and son in law...and we spent yesterday driving around up in Lake County. We really liked Lake Bluff and are going today to look there a little more closely. I solicit anyone's opinion of this town(ship?).

Thanks to all suggesting the timing and order of getting the documents and licenses. As I mentioned, I am 14 months (at least) out from moving. I'm a planner, I guess. After moving I sure would like to get in touch with you guys.

Jim

Lake Bluff is good. Next town north is North Chicago (Naval Station Great Lakes). Lake Forest is also really good. Highland Park is the next town south. North Chicago and Highland Park have "assault weapons bans". If you like your ARs, AKs, semi auto shotguns, semi auto handguns, and magazines to be able to hold more than 10 rounds, you don't want to live in those towns. Iirc, just about every town along the shore between Chicago and Highland Park has an AWB. Now, before somebody jumps in and points out the state preemption to handguns and magazines, let's clarify. Handguns, yes. Magazines, it's ambiguous.

Now, Naval Station Great Lakes brings some interesting situations to the area. It is the only bootcamp in the country for the Navy for enlisted personnel. Every Friday approximately 700 recruits graduate. That means long lines of traffic trying to get into the base, lots of traffic etc. Most of this doesn't affect Lake Bluff, but trying to get out on the main roads on a Friday morning may be problematic due to the volume of cars both incoming and outgoing.

Archived