ISP Updated PICA Q&A

korgs130

I note that "assault weapons" legally owned by an Illinois resident before Jan 2023 but stored out of State do not need to be registered. So the question comes to mind - may they be temporarily brought back into Illinois, used at local shooting range, and then returned in a timely manner to said out of State storage without registration? Also, Can they be brought back into Illinois permanently and registered at any time after Jan 1 2024?

On 12/2/2023 at 3:41 PM, RandyP said:

I note that "assault weapons" legally owned by an Illinois resident before Jan 2023 but stored out of State do not need to be registered. So the question comes to mind - may they be temporarily brought back into Illinois, used at local shooting range, and then returned in a timely manner to said out of State storage without registration? Also, Can they be brought back into Illinois permanently and registered at any time after Jan 1 2024?

My opinion. Not a lawyer.

If we move our guns out of State to get out of Registration they need to stay out of State until this is resolved. If never resolved, I'm going to sell mine from the out of State storage. Everyone needs to make his own decision as we have been divided so as to be more easily conquered. If I move them out of State to avoid registration, they stay out of State.

VooDoo

On 12/4/2023 at 11:42 AM, lilguy said:

So what does # 25 add to the discussion? What does it add to help one determine what particular item is exempt?

Providing a link to the PICA faq because I was looking for it.

The answer to question #25 is a single word.

25. Is a handguard considered a shroud pursuant to PICA?

No.

It may settle one concern I think I have seen voiced.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by soundguy

On 12/4/2023 at 12:47 PM, soundguy said:

Providing a link to the PICA faq because I was looking for it.

The answer to question #25 is a single word.

25. Is a handguard considered a shroud pursuant to PICA?

No.

It settles one concern I think I have seen.

Does it?   What constitutes a handguard?  What is included and what is excluded from being considered a handguard?  What criteria were used to put things into one category or the other?

On 12/4/2023 at 12:48 PM, Upholder said:

Does it?   What constitutes a handguard?  What is included and what is excluded from being considered a handguard?  What criteria were used to put things into one category or the other?

Ahhh... good question!

For example, an M1 Garand does not have a banned "shroud".

There seems to be a "flowchart for rifles" on page 83 of the link to a PDF found in the answer to question #7. Pages 6 and 9 have pictures of guns with banned shrouds.

Anyone with any possible AWB items should probably read the faq, the text of the law with definitions, etc. There is a similar flowchart for semiautomatic pistols and another for shotguns.  I'll probably print one for posterity.

Cheers,

Tim

The PICA Identification Guide lists and depicts shrouds and says that any device that completely or partially encircles the barrel to prevent the users non trigger hand being burned is banned. But a hand guard is not a shroud and its OK?

Clear as mud.

VooDoo

On 12/4/2023 at 1:21 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

The PICA Identification Guide lists and depicts shrouds and says that any device that completely or partially encircles the barrel to prevent the users non trigger hand being burned is banned. But a hand guard is not a shroud and its OK?

Clear as mud.

VooDoo

You guys are overthinking... it's not that hard. I have attached a couple picture pages re shrouds vs handguards. These have been scanned from from that PICA PDF and seem clear as anything to me. I have added my own brief notes to help you with the "complicated" one.

Photo #1 (the "complicated" photo)

SHROUD vs HANDGUARD:

SHROUDvsHANDGUARD.thumb.jpg.ed2f091dcb0fa8db1eb811ec92b14ec6.jpg

* I do not think I would hold either of those perforated metal shrouds with my off hand. It seems like a holding thingy that stuck out to the side would be less hot after a few rounds. Possibly designed for adding weight for recoil management and still having the ability to cool off rather than for holding. I likely would place my second hand on the SKS "handguard" to steady the rifle for firing, aiming.

RUGER 10/22: Not restricted vs Restricted.

I'm thinking the top image has a handguard while the bottom image has what they call a "shroud" in the other pictures, even though "shroud" is not listed as a restriction.

Ruger10-22.thumb.jpg.2a894b4df3bfcd45b6213956c6b00541.jpg

It is not unclear to me.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by soundguy

Questions 12 & 13 are interesting. If I understand it correctly, you can buy a pump action shotgun, decked out with a; barrel shroud, magazine extension, pistol grip, and an adjustable stock. As long as you buy it like that, straight from the manufacturer and don't remove any assault weapons parts, it is not an assault weapon requiring an endorsement. So, I guess no one can build one at home because it would require that you buy these assault weapons attachments separately, which are banned. 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:53 PM, ealcala31 said:

Questions 12 & 13 are interesting. If I understand it correctly, you can buy a pump action shotgun, decked out with a; barrel shroud, magazine extension, pistol grip, and an adjustable stock. As long as you buy it like that, straight from the manufacturer and don't remove any assault weapons parts, it is not an assault weapon requiring an endorsement. So, I guess no one can build one at home because it would require that you buy these assault weapons attachments separately, which are banned. 

You can't clean it either. 

On 12/4/2023 at 10:53 PM, davel501 said:

You can't clean it either. 

What if you have a malfunction and need to be an at-home gunsmith? What is ISP going to do, check your YouTube videos to see if you broke-down that firearm? I've got to say, passing the assault weapon attachment endorsement part of the law was a big F#CK YOU to every gun owner, IL Republicans, and all gun rights groups. I totally get the registration part, that was a given, but parts are really a, "I'm going to stick it to you as much as I can because I hate you," part. 

On 12/5/2023 at 12:43 AM, ealcala31 said:

What if you have a malfunction and need to be an at-home gunsmith? What is ISP going to do, check your YouTube videos to see if you broke-down that firearm? I've got to say, passing the assault weapon attachment endorsement part of the law was a big F#CK YOU to every gun owner, IL Republicans, and all gun rights groups. I totally get the registration part, that was a given, but parts are really a, "I'm going to stick it to you as much as I can because I hate you," part. 

Ask Matthew Hoover of CRS firearms about how the government can be. 

On 12/5/2023 at 1:41 AM, davel501 said:

Ask Matthew Hoover of CRS firearms about how the government can be. 

They did Matthew Hoover wrong. I am sure many Americans have made it to the point where they are in FEAR of their own government. Our Founding Fathers could never believe we have made it to this point...

At some point while reading all these questions and "rules" and trying to figure it all out you should have a little voice pop up in your head that says " Wait a minute, what am I doing ? I'm an American enjoying my 2nd Amendment rights, and JB Pigster, and his ISP goons can give me a big wet kiss on my hairy a** because it will be a cold day in heck before some gas bag liberal scum tells me what I can and can't have and that goes double for Constitutionally protected property." COMPLY WITH NOTHING AND MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS AS NEEDED.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, G214me said:

At some point while reading all these questions and "rules" and trying to figure it all out you should have a little voice pop up in your head that says " Wait a minute, what am I doing ? I'm an American enjoying my 2nd Amendment rights, and JB Pigster, and his ISP goons can give me a big wet kiss on my hairy a** because it will be a cold day in heck before some gas bag liberal scum tells me what I can and can't have and that goes double for Constitutionally protected property." COMPLY WITH NOTHING AND MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS AS NEEDED.

The phrase you're looking for is "stack up" because that's what the swat team will do at your front door. Ole truffle shuffle might include your story as a big win in his next press conference. Meanwhile your life is ruined if you live through the part with the armed home invaders. 

On 12/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, davel501 said:

The phrase you're looking for is "stack up" because that's what the swat team will do at your front door. Ole truffle shuffle might include your story as a big win in his next press conference. Meanwhile your life is ruined if you live through the part with the armed home invaders. 

SWAT team ??? Really ? WOW !!! I'd love to see the probable cause that got that warrant signed. I don't know if Truffle Shuffle will be wanting to talk about a raid on a home that is 100% free of anything in violation of PICA ( Iv'e never had such items for whom it may concern ). also re read my post MAKE ARRANGEMENTS AS NEEDED.  If this deadbeat bum state can muster up enough funding to get some ISP to sign up to go knock on doors without warrants and see who self incriminates that'll be about all we see. If I get such a knock I'll give them my lawyers card and a friendly goodbye. If they have a warrant all I plan on saying while welcoming them in is "Why didn't you call first I would have put on a pot of coffee and had the wife pick up a cake from the store ?"