New questions for gun purchasers?

countyline

I work part-time at the gun counter at a retailer that sells a LOT of guns (thousands per year), and we are hearing that we are going to have to start asking customers their occupation and what do they plan to do with the gun - where is this coming from? Is this a new feature of gun dealer licensing, or part of pica? We are downstate so its not any sort of suburban nonsense.

Of course my answer will always be "NYFB" and I would encourage all customers to do the same if asked about it. 

(720 ILCS 5/24-4) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-4)

Sec. 24-4. Register of sales by dealer.

(a) Any seller of firearms of a size which may be concealed upon the person, other than a manufacturer selling to a bona fide wholesaler or retailer or a wholesaler selling to a bona fide retailer, shall keep a register of all firearms sold or given away.

(b) Such register shall contain the date of the sale or gift, the name, address, age and occupation of the person to whom the weapon is sold or given, the price of the weapon, the kind, description and number of the weapon, and the purpose for which it is purchased and obtained.

(c) Such seller on demand of a peace officer shall produce for inspection the register and allow such peace officer to inspect such register and all stock on hand.

(d) Sentence.

Violation of this Section is a Class B misdemeanor.

(Source: P.A. 77-2638.)

It's been law for quite a while. 

Why doesn’t FOPA apply?

(I would also state that FOID violates this)
Firearm Owners Protection Act 1986

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926

18 U.S. Code § 926 - Rules and regulations 

prev | next
(a)The Attorney General may prescribe only such rules and regulations as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter, including—
(1)
regulations providing that a person licensed under this chapter, when dealing with another person so licensed, shall provide such other licensed person a certified copy of this license;
(2)
regulations providing for the issuance, at a reasonable cost, to a person licensed under this chapter, of certified copies of his license for use as provided under regulations issued under paragraph (1) of this subsection; and
(3)
regulations providing for effective receipt and secure storage of firearms relinquished by or seized from persons described in subsection (d)(8) or (g)(8) of section 922.
No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary’s [1] authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.
(b)
The Attorney General shall give not less than ninety days public notice, and shall afford interested parties opportunity for hearing, before prescribing such rules and regulations.
(c)
The Attorney General shall not prescribe rules or regulations that require purchasers of black powder under the exemption provided in section 845(a)(5) of this title to complete affidavits or forms attesting to that exemption.

https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/99/308.pdf

page 11.

(4) by striking out the last sentence and inserting in lieu
thereof "No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners' Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chap- ter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:32 PM, Euler said:

The standard answers are something like:

Reason for purchase: Civil liberty

Many places I know have stopped allowing people to write an answer and have changed it to a multiple-choice selection of "acceptable" answers.

On 9/4/2023 at 5:20 PM, Bubbacs said:

Reason for purchase: Self Protection

Been the same answer for 10 years never an issue.

I doubt that the questions have no purpose other than to make the libs feel that they (libs) accomplished something. I would guess that all your suggestions are the most common.  No one is going to answer gang member, insurgent, highjack cars, or shoot the SOB across the street.

First gun I ever purchased from Sports Authority asked back in early 2000s.  I got so nervous when he asked me what I was purchasing it for.  Why?  I don't know but likely lack of knowledge and experience.  I did quickly respond with target practice however.  After stewing for some time I was more prepared on the next purchase.  Cuz I can MF'er.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an inspection from the state a few weeks ago and he was surprised that I have done it for every transfer and purchase I've done since may. I asked when it started since I've only done it a few times for the 50 or so guns I had before getting my FFL. He said that it's supposed to have been done for every pistol transaction since 1972 but almost nobody does it but that they're getting told to start enforcing it again. The reason is that they have no legal recourse if a FFL refuses to show them 4473s because they're not legally entitled to see them but that they are entitled to see those questions. Failure to show them for failure to do them is a way or them to shut down FFLs in the state. 

Edited by Monty80
Typo

On 9/4/2023 at 5:42 PM, Quiet Observer said:

I doubt that the questions have no purpose other than to make the libs feel that they (libs) accomplished something. I would guess that all your suggestions are the most common.  No one is going to answer gang member, insurgent, highjack cars, or shoot the SOB across the street.

Oh, I think it's so they can slap additional charges on someone, if they charge them with 'dealing' because they sell too many, yada yada.

On 9/20/2023 at 12:10 PM, Monty80 said:

I had an inspection from the state a few weeks ago and he was surprised that I have done it for every transfer and purchase I've done since may. I asked when it started since I've only done it a few times for the 50 or so guns I had before getting my FFL. He said that it's supposed to have been done for every pistol transaction since 1972 but almost nobody does it but that they're getting told to start enforcing it again. The reason is that they have no legal recourse if a FFL refuses to show them 4473s because they're not legally entitled to see them but that they are entitled to see those questions. Failure to show them or failure to do them is a way or them to shut down FFLs in the state. 

Never been asked in my life and I just may own several hundred.