Illinois FOID Application & Renewal Forum

Welcome to the newest of the IllinoisCarry forums, a place focused on discussing issues related to applying for and renewing Firearm Owner Identification Cards, delays, appeals, and relation conversation.  While not a new topic for us these issues deserve a home of their own, independent of Concealed Carry Licensing discussion.  Please be patient as we move existing topics to their new location.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 2:18 PM, FF17 said:

My FOID expires 1-1-22,  my CCL expires 8-21-24.

can I go ahead and submit for FOID renewal?

Bottom line is you should be able to start your FOID renewal in early November, 2021.

Under current law, the Illinois State Police are supposed to send out a renewal notification for your FOID 60 days before the expiration of your FOID (that would be the beginning of November for you). Instead of waiting for the letter, I would suggest that you go online on the ISP website and review your account. If the renewal button is available, you can click on the button and start the renewal process. The renewal button should be available in the beginning of November. You might want to check earlier than November as there have been some instances where the renewal process has been opened up early. This should get you on your way to renewal.

Now, on January 1st (2022) things are supposed to change. For one, the notification period for FOID renewal goes from 60 days to 180 days. So, theoretically, after 1/1/2022 the ISP should send out renewal notices 180 days before expiration. And although the law does not spell it out, the assumption would be that the renewal "button" would be active be active on an account 180 before expiration. As the change does not go into effect until 1/1/2022, I would not expect the new extended notification period to kick in until after 1/1/2022.

Also, where there might be some variability on the process, on 1/1/2022 a new process is rolling out. This is what is supposed to go into effect (430 ILCS 65/7): (https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39)

(c) Beginning January 1, 2022, if the Firearm Owner's Identification Card of a licensee under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act expires during the term of the licensee's concealed carry license, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card and the license remain valid during the validity of the concealed carry license and the licensee does not have to renew his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card, if the Firearm Owner's Identification Card has not been otherwise renewed as provided in this Act. Unless the Illinois State Police has reason to believe the licensee is no longer eligible for the card, the Illinois State Police may automatically renew the licensee's Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

I am not sure how the ISP intends to roll this out or how they will roll out the new process. I am not a lawyer, but it appears that since your FOID expires on 1/1/2022, and your CCL is valid until August, 2024, that you would not need to renew your FOID and it would be valid until August, 2024.

So to get back to your original question- You should be able to renew in early November, 2021. The new law looks to give some additional options going forward. Hope that this helps, and I apologize for the extended response, but "things are a changing".

On 9/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, mauserme said:

Welcome to the newest of the IllinoisCarry forums, a place focused on discussing issues related to applying for and renewing Firearm Owner Identification Cards, delays, appeals, and relation conversation.  While not a new topic for us these issues deserve a home of their own, independent of Concealed Carry Licensing discussion.  Please be patient as we move existing topics to their new location.

I got my notice last week.  Got online, worked through the process. 

Aaaand, the new card showed up today.  I was shocked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My card expired 8/1/2021 and, while I got the letter ahead of that, I didn't try to renew because of the "emergency orders".

Well, I just spent a fruitless 30 minutes filling out that form on their website and FINALLY got as far as "Step 3" when it told me I had to call the "call center" with 3 pieces of information.  With that automated system they have (and I tried multiple menus), there seemed to be no avenue to get to a live person to give them the 3 items they wanted (Login ID, email addy, and DL#).  And that wasted almost 40 minutes.

I tried to login anyway and it just went back to "Step 3". 🤪

Edited by JTHunter