Ammo with dented primers

nulloverride

I recently picked up a couple boxes of ammo at a relatively "decent" price. I decided to take a look at it to make sure I wasn't ripped off. It was sold over the counter and they checked my FOID but it was made clear it was a "cash only" purchase.

Anyway, the rounds - Winchester 9mm Luger 145gr 124gr FMJ - look OK except the primers are a little dented. All other ammo I've ever bought or used I think the primers have been smooth as far as I can remember. Is this a potential issue?

post-10901-0-70138900-1625700179_thumb.jpg

Just by coincidence, I received a bucket of 300 Blackout 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX from Gorilla today. Newly manufactured. They did state that due to shortages, they are using mil spec primers which are only reliable in semi-auto weapons. Bearing in mind that this stuff was just manufactured, this brass looks suspiciously discolored to the point of having corrosion (unsuccessfully) cleaned from it. I am not a happy camper at $289 for a 160 round bucket of "new" ammunition. I should have just nutted up and paid the $400 plus tax and shipping for 200 rounds of actual Barnes ammo that was available for a brief period somewhere else.

post-14234-0-44978200-1625702903_thumb.jpg

I recently picked up a couple boxes of ammo at a relatively "decent" price. I decided to take a look at it to make sure I wasn't ripped off. It was sold over the counter and they checked my FOID but it was made clear it was a "cash only" purchase.

Anyway, the rounds - Winchester 9mm Luger 145gr FMJ - look OK except the primers are a little dented. All other ammo I've ever bought or used I think the primers have been smooth as far as I can remember. Is this a potential issue?

attachicon.gifDodgy_Rounds.jpg

What brand/model?

OMG!!

Looks like your gonna kill yourself, your family and everybody with in a 17 mile radius if you were to attempt firing those abominations!

I'm willing to take them off your hands for a small extraction fee of $13.17 per round. (You save .013 cents vs typical government fees!)

This includes pickup, secured, armored enclosed cases for exfiltration from your property. (The approved cases may 'look' like your typical 'ammo cans'...but they are infused with green-titanium that is Biden approved!)

Message me for an appointment.

My guess is something was on the face of the tool that seats the primers into the brass, or the tool is face is corrupted.

That, was my first thought. Could also be using lesser quality primers, due to lack there of/scarcity.

I'd be more worried that they're duds than that they're shrapnel waiting to happen. They look shady for factory loads. Are counterfeit loads a thing?

You already own them, though. If they go bang, be happy I guess.

Might behoove the OP to weigh them, compare them to a known good round. might even pull a bullet from one of the cartridges and check if it actually has real powder

They may be reloads.

I don't know how you would reload a primer. One would think if you could do that there wouldn't be a shortage, right?

OMG, it almost looks like like they're selling (attempted to be) used ammo with light primer strikes. I wouldn't accept that.

Yeah it definitely looks like light strikes on some of them - multiple light strikes. Others are just mottled like maybe poor tooling like the other guy said.

Just by coincidence, I received a bucket of 300 Blackout 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX from Gorilla today. Newly manufactured. They did state that due to shortages, they are using mil spec primers which are only reliable in semi-auto weapons. Bearing in mind that this stuff was just manufactured, this brass looks suspiciously discolored to the point of having corrosion (unsuccessfully) cleaned from it. I am not a happy camper at $289 for a 160 round bucket of "new" ammunition. I should have just nutted up and paid the $400 plus tax and shipping for 200 rounds of actual Barnes ammo that was available for a brief period somewhere else.

Yeah. I got no such warning about these. It was this or some reloads in a zip-loc bag. Or $40/box for blazer.

They may be reloads.

I don't know how you would reload a primer. One would think if you could do that there wouldn't be a shortage, right?.

Is that a serious question? Of course you don’t reload primers. But you can reload ammunition and damage the primers in the process.

Actually you can recharge primers…..

If they were mine? I'd just shoot 'em.

That said, you 'could' always take a pic of the manufacturing codes on the box and send that and your ammo pic in an e-mail to Winchester for their input?

Or even just call them?

Winchester Ammunition Contact
You may also call our Customer Service number at (800) 945-5237 or (801) 876-3440

• 2 weeks later...

Archived