SB0050 silencer/suppressor bill re-scheduled for Senate Criminal Law committee

InterestedBystander

The number of antis is stunning. One is required to post an address with the slip. Are out of state addresses bounced or still listed? Or, are out-of-staters lying about their Ilinois residency?

The number of duplicate slips posted by the antis is also stunning. They clearly don't expect to be caught. Or if caught, that it will damage their credibility.

Excuse me, I just inhaled all the opponent listings (1835) into a spreadsheet, and had it eliminate duplicate names.

It found 24

When I google my somewhat unusual name I get a lot of hits that are not me, so I don't find 24 out of 1835 that alarming.

Isolating and examining those 24 is more work than I care to expend.

BUT still, it's useful and quick to check for spam.

edit - it's possible that someone hacked up something to get through captchas (or took the time to do a bunch of bogus registrations by hand) and made up a bunch of dashboard accounts, and have an automated script to log them into the ilga dashboard and file a slip from a random entry in a database of bogus accounts. They would need a bunch of bogus email accounts (or a mailserver) to accept incoming confirmation emails from the state. Occam's razor and the timing near the anti-trump march(es) says they are real people.

Interesting. I was not so thorough. I simply scanned 5-10 pages manually, noted 6 or 8 duplicates and extrapolated from there.

Re: Prairie Pucker & duplicates:

Well, there's also the "unsure" bobbles of noobs - it doesn't suppress the filing of a second slip in the same name.

every once in a while when working a list I might accidentally hit the same bill link twice coming back to the page - and overlook the bill number.

It happens.

That map is great.

I don't want to disturb the threads I worked so hard on quieting down (and having the last word!) but when the subject heats up again in liberal la-la land, I will make sure to post that.

I remember when the ground swell was growing for carry in Illinois, just about every "non-believer" who lacked facts and data were pretty darn surprised to learn that we were the only state without carry.

It's a sound argument when we can point to ACTUAL examples and have undeniable proof that something either works or does not. 49 states can't be wrong, and 39states aint playin around either.

The number of duplicate slips posted by the antis is also stunning. They clearly don't expect to be caught. Or if caught, that it will damage their credibility.

Excuse me, I just inhaled all the opponent listings (1835) into a spreadsheet, and had it eliminate duplicate names.

It found 24

When I google my somewhat unusual name I get a lot of hits that are not me, so I don't find 24 out of 1835 that alarming.

Isolating and examining those 24 is more work than I care to expend.

BUT still, it's useful and quick to check for spam.

edit - it's possible that someone hacked up something to get through captchas (or took the time to do a bunch of bogus registrations by hand) and made up a bunch of dashboard accounts, and have an automated script to log them into the ilga dashboard and file a slip from a random entry in a database of bogus accounts. They would need a bunch of bogus email accounts (or a mailserver) to accept incoming confirmation emails from the state. Occam's razor and the timing near the anti-trump march(es) says they are real people.

Interesting. I was not so thorough. I simply scanned 5-10 pages manually, noted 6 or 8 duplicates and extrapolated from there.

Removing duplicates only affects the data if all columns of data match (unless you change the filtering criteria).

Another way would be to highlight just the names column, then use conditional formatting to highlight any duplicates. Using this method, there are a total of 39 duplicate entries, made by 15 different people.

In that, there was only one instance where it could possibly be construed that someone wasn't sure if a slip went through, so they submitted it again.... one person had 2 slips created one right after the other... however, that person also submitted 3 other slips throughout the process. None of the others were submitted in close enough proximity that it would be written off as user error. And as this is all public record, I see no harm in posting it here.

Brooke DiDomenico submitted 2 slips.

Catherine Mardikes submitted 2 slips.

Deborah Frantisak submitted 2 slips.

Emily Sutton submitted 4 slips.

James Audette submitted 2 slips.

Jennifer Rousseau submitted 2 slips.

Jill Sink submitted 2 slips.

Kathleen Zabor submitted 2 slips.

Lisa Barefield submitted 2 slips.

Mary Klonowski submitted 2 slips (one as an individual, and one for the League of Women Voters of Illinois).

Megan Owens submitted 2 slips.

Patricia O'Shea submitted 2 slips.

Sara Berner submitted 6 slips.

Sharon Jones submitted 2 slips (one for herself, and one for Action for a Better Tomorrow.

Teresa Berner submitted 5 slips.

• 2 months later...

Looks like this bill is up for a committee hearing again on the 25th.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=50&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=98893&SessionID=91&GA=100

Bill Status of SB0050 100th General Assembly

Short Description: FOID CARD-REVOCATION-SILENCER

Senate Sponsors

Sen. William R. Haine - Neil Anderson

Hearings Criminal Law Hearing

Apr 25 2017 5:30PM

Capitol 400 Springfield, IL

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/14787?SCommittees4/26/2017-page=1&SCommittees4/26/2017-orderBy=&SCommittees4/26/2017-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=7&_=1492646954062

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=50&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=98893&SessionID=91&GA=100

Senate Sponsors

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/14787?SCommittees4/26/2017-page=1&SCommittees4/26/2017-orderBy=&SCommittees4/26/2017-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=7&_=1492646954062

Should we file witness slips in support of this? Because I accidentally did.

I don't need anyone's permission to file a witness slip in support of SB50. I would hope IllinoisCarry can see beyond their personal animosities to support suppressors.

IllinoisCarry does not have any personal animosities. IllinoisCarry does support suppressors. What it is neutral on is re-introducing a patchwork of laws that do not have statewide preemption. Remember the slogan 'one state-one law'?

I don't need anyone's permission to file a witness slip in support of SB50. I would hope IllinoisCarry can see beyond their personal animosities to support suppressors.

IllinoisCarry does not have any personal animosities. IllinoisCarry does support suppressors. What it is neutral on is re-introducing a patchwork of laws that do not have statewide preemption. Remember the slogan 'one state-one law'?

Molly,

Respectfully, what I remember is Moore vs. Madigan giving a united coalition of rights groups the leverage to insist on "One state-One Law". No such leverage exists here. Any progress will need to be iterative, much like military carry and mass transit.... The perfect should not be the enemy of the good in the case where we have no external pressure to create better political conditions. We live in a deep blue state, after all. In terms of animosities, I'd like to believe that. But once IC started taking public shots at other folks personal agendas and personal motivations, you can't really un-ring that bell.

You have your reasons for remaining neutral on SB50, and the "airing of the sausage making" made it clear you believe you're getting one bill this year. I don't think it's unreasonable for your membership to wish it was otherwise and help them to work SB50 anyway.

That said, I continue to support and thank you for all you do for Illinois gun owners. As well as the IRSA and NRA in Illinois. And GSL when they're not being kind of goofy. (Joke, guys! We kid because we love!)

Senate Sponsors

I did too, but it wasn't an accident.

Since the sentiment is that we'll only get one pro-gun bill to pass, I can't believe that military carry is the thing we'd go for over something like suppressors or mass transit and parks.

I get wanting to have military members stationed in Illinois to be able to carry, but why take such a small nibble? Why not instead push for a bill to remove the "substantively similar" language from the carry law thus allowing reciprocity with other states? That would help military members AND citizens of other states. Instead of a big leap we're settling for a half-step.

Senate Sponsors

Since the sentiment is that we'll only get one pro-gun bill to pass, I can't believe that military carry is the thing we'd go for over something like suppressors or mass transit and parks.

I get wanting to have military members stationed in Illinois to be able to carry, but why take such a small nibble? Why not instead push for a bill to remove the "substantively similar" language from the carry law thus allowing reciprocity with other states? That would help military members AND citizens of other states. Instead of a big leap we're settling for a half-step.

The votes are not there to remove substantially similar or mass transit.

Senate Sponsors

Removing "substantially similar" would not allow reciprocity with other states. Period. "Substantially similar" refers to who outside of Illinois residents qualify for the privilege to apply for an Illinois non-resident license. There is NO provision in the FCCA as it currently stands that allows non-residents to carry on an out of state license aside from "vehicle carry." To get reciprocity, we would need a law passed that specifically grants reciprocity.

Removing "substantially similar" would not allow reciprocity with other states. Period. "Substantially similar" refers to who outside of Illinois residents qualify for the privilege to apply for an Illinois non-resident license. There is NO provision in the FCCA as it currently stands that allows non-residents to carry on an out of state license aside from "vehicle carry." To get reciprocity, we would need a law passed that specifically grants reciprocity.

Fair enough, but it would still result in those military members and non-Illinois citizens being able to apply for an Illinois license, so there would be a similar end result.

As for the number of votes, I recall that there were enough votes for suppressors which would have been a big leap forward.

As for the number of votes, I recall that there were enough votes for suppressors which would have been a big leap forward.

In the last legislature IIRC there were enough anticipated votes for a majority but not a supermajority as needed at the end of the year. The beginning of the year rolled it back to a majority but the bill wasnt called (or maybe some pro people flipped...I'm not really sure) and things had to start over again with the new legislature. Not sure what vote counts would be expected with the new Senators and Reps.

It may be tough to get out of committee. Criminal law is made up of 7 D and 4 R although one of the D's is a bill sponsor.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, April 20, 2017 at 07:16 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, April 20, 2017 at 07:16 PM - No reason given

In the last legislature IIRC there were enough anticipated votes for a majority but not a supermajority as needed at the end of the year. The beginning of the year rolled it back to a majority but the bill wasnt called (or maybe some pro people flipped) and things had to start over again with the new legislature. Not sure what vote counts would be expected with the new Senators and Reps.

It isn't that it wasn't called. It never came out of committee, making the number of votes it might or might not have had moot.

Mauserme makes it easy for everyone by having a direct link to make a slip for each bill. If you're trying to just start from scratch and track down a bill yourself - The only way I know how to do it is to start with the bill number,

1) Go to ILGA.gov, type in the bill number in the search field, that brings up the bill status page. There will be a section near the top titled Hearings. The hearing section will tell what committee it is scheduled to be heard in, it also gives you a location.

2) Then go to the ILGA dashboard, choose which chamber the bill is in - either senate or house, click on "Committees",

3) Click on the gavel icon.

4) Choose the meeting time and location that matches the hearing section information from the bill's status page, click "View Legislation", the bills are listed in numeric order, find the bill you want to view and click on the magnifying glass icon from the "Witness Slips" column.

When posted, slips were like 10 to 2. Now its 32 to 55. Looks like the opposition is starting to get the word out.

How about instead of every one griping and pointing fingers they get involved? Ask yourself what am I doing to further my rights? Call and write your reps. File a lawsuit. Host townhall meetings. Get involved people. I know for a fact "we" can all do something. Molly and Mr B do more for our 2nd amendment rights in one day than most people do in a year or more. It's too easy to complain from a keyboard. Step up or shut up please.

How about instead of every one griping and pointing fingers they get involved? Ask yourself what am I doing to further my rights? Call and write your reps. File a lawsuit. Host townhall meetings. Get involved people. I know for a fact "we" can all do something. Molly and Mr B do more for our 2nd amendment rights in one day than most people do in a year or more. It's too easy to complain from a keyboard. Step up or shut up please.

That's exactly what we are doing though. We're encouraging filing witness slips and we are calling our legislators, and we are involved. Don't act like we aren't doing anything and that we should just roll over for people who do something we find questionable simply because they "do more."

Oh, we're also not breaking ranks with the other gun rights groups in this state.

That's exactly what we are doing though. We're encouraging filing witness slips and we are calling our legislators, and we are involved. Don't act like we aren't doing anything and that we should just roll over for people who do something we find questionable simply because they "do more."

Oh, we're also not breaking ranks with the other gun rights groups in this state.

that's funny I read an article just this morning about the NRA disinviting a gun group from they're annual convention....

that's funny I read an article just this morning about the NRA disinviting a gun group from they're annual convention....

I'm honestly not sure what you are referring to, but regardless of what you are saying about the national organization, I'm talking specifically about the groups in Illinois. Namely, that NRA-ILA, GSL and ISRA were all playing by one playbook whil IC chose to break ranks from them. This lack of a unified front, particularly in this state, is a real problem.

We are getting crushed on witness slips now. Please throw a slip in as proponent, and I'll see if I can get a separate thread started tonight to get more visibility, if IC mods will allow.

Just as a status, the suppressor bill SB50 is currently BEHIND in slips as of this writing, 296 to 71. If you support SB50 you may submit a PROPONENT slip using this link:

http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/98893?committeeHearingId=14787&LegislationId=98893&SCommittees4%2F26%2F2017-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=7&_=1492646954062

Track status with this link:

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/WitnessSlipInfo/98893?hearingId=14787&LegislationDocumentId=126604&SCommittees4%2F26%2F2017-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=7&_=1492646954062

For informational purposes only.

Archived