Does Anyone Have Experience With Ruger LCP?

Chitownshooterz

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the Ruger LCP? I am thinking about purchasing one. I have held one at the gun shop but can't help to think how long something like this will last. Looks a little cheap but on the other hand I would hate to beat up a $600 or $700 dollar gun like the Colt Mustang while carrying. What do you guys think?

I bought one to use as a BUG from a lady that didn't like it and the price was right.

I wouldn't want to fire a lot of rounds in one session but with the extended magazine it isn't that bad.

I don't think most people would ever wear one out.

I think there are better choices but they'll cost more.

Reliable.

But, punishing to shoot, I can't hit plinking targets reliably. For reloaders, it strews brass higgledy-piggledy all over the place, and reloaded brass (in my example) is often split, suggesting an oversize chamber. Very thin chamber wall. Unusable "sights".

Its niche is for when nothing larger can be carried. That niche it fills well. Outside that, I'd rather be shooting something else.

I've had one for about 3 years now. Its only accurate out to about 30 feet because of its "horrible" or lack of sights and it kicks like a mule and hurts to shoot. That being said its is tiny, reliable and about the easiest to conceal gun on the planet and it holds 7 rounds. I switch off between the LCP and my S&W air weight when I carry.

I highly recommend a Crimson Trace laser and Hogue grip to make that gun that much better.

Super long, hard trigger pull... Pass

Have you tried one of the newer ones? The trigger and sights are much improved.

I have a new stainless slide one. The accuracy is amazingly good and the trigger is actually pretty decent. It's not at all punishing or unpleasant to shoot, either.

I have one with the crimson trace laser, like others have said its a long trigger pull. A little practice and you can be proficient with it, its not that bad to shoot. I have large hands and have never had the gun hurt while shooting, I like it,think its going to be great for summer carry in shorts pockets.

Good ankle or pocket gun. Trigger sucks, but that's what you want on a defensive gun IMO. Well maybe it sucks a little more than you'd want, but it's not totally trash. I have felt worse. You won't win competitions with it, but that's nto the point. Sights? What sights? It's a point and shoot gun. 10' or less. If you use it for its' intdended purpose it'll be fine.

If you want a better trigger look at Galloway, http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/

Alot of people put these on their LC380's and LC9's and swear by them.

I love mine (newer one with better sights and crisper trigger). It is amazingly accurate. I can frequently group 5 shots within 2" at 21 feet off-hand. It takes a little practice because of the short sight radius and longer double action trigger pull, but the LCP is a great little handgun.

Best part is ease of concealment. IWB truly disappears under a T-shirt with practically no effort.

Best part is ease of concealment. IWB truly disappears under a T-shirt with practically no effort.

One of my assistant instructors carries his OWB in a case that looks exactly like a cell phone case. It may even be a cell phone case.

I have a LCP and a Taurus TCP. I have the older model LCP. I like the trigger and feel of the TCP better. It also has the last round hold open of slide which the LCP does not have. I do enjoy shooting them both. Sights are very similar...limited. Fit and finish of the LCP is a little better IMO compared with the TCP.

The trigger pull is long, BUT smooth. It is accurate....to the point I put over 50% of my shots on 12"x12" steel at 50 yards (yes, yards, not feet) in daylight. In low light, no, the sights are lousy, and there's not enough steel on the slide to add night sights. I'm not a fan of lasers in most circumstances but with a tiny pistoland poor sights like these they are a good idea. The finger extensions on the mags are a must. The LCP hides extremely well in pants or cargo pockets.

The best thing about them : DEPENDABILITY. Mine has functioned flawlessly with Hornady, Remington, and Federal carry ammo (from 85-102 grains) plus a variety of ball practice ammo. Like all small semi autos, clean well after purchasing, lubricate it well, and run about 200 rounds yhrough it to break it in. Big + for the Ruger LCP.

Hi,

I've had one since the early days of manufacture. I generally run a couple of mags through it on the range when I'm there with other guns. I wouldn't think of shooting a full box in one sitting. Its grip is narrow and small, and that makes it snappy and uncomfortable for me in extended sessions. But for a dozen or so rounds it's not all that bad. Which is all I need to be sure I'm familar with it, and that it still goes "bang" -- which it always has, no matter what I feed it..

And yes, the trigger pull is long -- that's something of a safety factor after all. But look, it's not a fine target pistol -- it's what we used to call in the old days a "belly gun". And yes, it's comfortable and easy to drop in a pocket when you can't dress into a larger pistol.

FWIW.

Rich Phsillips

Get the sweet pea trigger kit you will love it

I would NOT do a trigger modification to any CARRY gun. This has landed quite a few people in.trouble who had to use their carry gun for self defense.

I see this a lot all over the Internet, but still have yet to see any evidence of it. Do you have any citations? Not trying to be a smart aleck, just actually wondering if there is any truth to this beyond mights and maybes.

The sweet pea trigger keeps it in a range that is acceptable. It keeps it at around 6 lbs. Same as most factory guns. I don't advocate trigger work on a carry that would decrease the weight below that. With the lcp the trigger kit will make you more accurate without having too light a trigger. I don't see this mod being an issue with courts

I own an LCP. Here's my take on it:

Perfect small gun, very easy to conceal on your ankle, IWB, OWB, pocket, etc. The sights are meh, I have one of the newer ones so the sights are a bit higher than the first models they put out. The recoil is a bit harse, but if you throw on an aftermaket hogue grip, it's rather nice.

This is by no means a "range" gun. It's not all that accurate at longer distances, which it's not made for. Initially the trigger pull was probably right around 8-9 lbs. After shooting a few boxes of ammo through it, it's now at 5-6lbs.

The LCP is built to fill a niche. That niche is either BUG, or something to carry when concealment with anything larger will be difficult. It goes bang every time, and within 15 yards, I can put all rounds within a 6" target. No rapid fire of course. I don't think I'd even want to attempt rapid fire with the LCP lmao!

I Love my LCP with LazerMax. Mines the newer one with better sites and better trigger pull. I added custom dots to the front and rear sites. I also added a Tactical Grip for better handling when shooting and gripping the gun. I also use a Kydex Rubicon Tactical holster IWB appendix style carry and I also carry a back up magazine with a Kydex holster.

This type of gun is really a Point and Shoot at Close Range from point blank to 10" to 15feet. This gun is Not really designed for long distance shooting. It's a tiny gun and will fit nicely with a person with small slim hands. Big hands may feel uncomfortable when handling this gun. It does kick a bit but what do you expect with a small lite gun like this. When you shoot at the range, place your target a close range 15",10" or closer. Mine has the LazerMax and I think it's best to get an LCP with a lazer to aid when shooting for a quick placement shot. Having the lazer helps for a quick point and shoot for 10 to 15 feet shoots. Close contact for self defense you really don't need to aim. Just point and shoot with this gun. It's a long trigger pull but it does soften up when you shoot it more often. No safety is needed because the trigger pull is heavy and long. I have a Kel Tec PF9 and the trigger pull is about the same as my LCP so I am use to the trigger. Some may not like a long and heavy trigger but I do not mind it at all. This type of gun you need to practice a lot and once you get used to it you'll love it. It's a great summer carry and hides very well. Give it a try! Once again, I Love My LCP with LazerMax!

Here's a YouTube link about the LCP with LazerMax. https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_60558897&feature=iv&src_vid=d0M6o-OeJLk&v=5NFIKLrrgr8

Archived