Lets see what happens now. . .

Tvandermyde

I often wonder how that works. An officer asks to look inside your car trunk. How do you politely yet firmly decline in a way that doesn't make you appear to be hiding something? And if you then *do* appear to be hiding something, does that satsify the whole probable cause thing and give them the right to look anyway without your consent?

Everything I have read about Elgin is bad news (no offence to anyone living there). That basically as others have stated they can impound your car for a whole host of reasons and no matter what you end up paying to get the car out.

One of the many reasons I avoid it like the plague; unless forced to cross into it for about ¼ mile while going to GAT.

I am very interested to see if the gun was loaded or not; regardless if this was your typical passenger car with a trunk unless the owner did not have a FOID and was an Illinois resident I see no laws broken.

ok 1. i'm not in jail.

2. this is going to get interesting. I will release details as I can.

An individual was pulled over for failure to signal a turn. when queried about alchohol, drugs or guns in the car he answered that there was a gun in the trunk.

According to the police report, he gave consent to search where upon the officer found an unloaded beretta, slide locked tot he rear in a zippered case, with ammo. some dispute as to where the ammo was.

the cop had to rifle through this individuials equipment for the National Guard, uniforms, boots, helmet and such and the Gun according to the individual was in a backpack to boot.

this is a bad arrest as he was charged with a misdemeanor, car impounded/towed and gun taken for evidence.

I went to see the Chief and was told he was not in. where upon a slip a FOIA request under the glass to the nice lady.

I then called my friend about the State's Attorney. A few minutes later, he recieved a call back that the SA had just hung up the phone with the Chief about this very case.

a little bit ago the Chief called. We had a nice talk where upon the Chief said it was a stupid mistake and it was wrong. We then had a disscussion about how our guys have to follow the law, but his guys seems to be obvlious to the law and that I was traveling with my 45 in a case on the front seat, and if his cops tried that with me they would end up with a tiger by the tail as I wrote the law.

We now have to get this sorted out, and finalized. after that, I will be able to tell a bit more. When i get a chance, I will upload the FIOA request I filed, my bizness card was clipped to the front as i printed it out on just plain paper.

The Chief said they would get it filled as soon as they can and no fees should be forth comng for the information.

this came to my attention because someone got ahold of Valinda, who got a hold of me. I then was able to talk to the individual and get his side which seemed legit.

Now we just sit back and see the results.

My next million dollar idea is a dash cam, just for regular cars. Intregal to the vehicle, and it captures video inside the passenger compartment toward the driver's side.

I am going to pitch it to GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda...

Sorry, but if you look on Amazon, there are already lots of "civilian" dash cams out there, ranging from $20 POS systems to $250+ workable solutions. And just like the cop's dash cams, they can exonerate or incriminate.

As for declining a search a simple "I do not give you permission to search me or my vehicle" will suffice. If arrested for not allowing a search a good lawyer is needed and I am quite certain a tidy sum of money and your vehicle unimpounded without paying fees will be yours. Maybe years later but what is your rights worth?

ALways decline a search, if they had probable cause, they wouldn't need to ask they will plainly state their probable cause. The refusal of a search does not constute to probable cause.

There you go!!! I will always decline any search requests as refusal is not grounds for probable cause. Then if you are searched and something is found it should be an illegal search and any evidense found will be inadmissable in court. At least that is my understanding of the law. I am not on an episode of "COPS" and will not have a bale of pot, a big bag of cocane a bottle of whisky in my pocket or a hooker in the back seat. And those idiots always say "yes." Jim.

I'm not claiming I know everything, but what I said about probable cause is true. I originally went to college to be a cop and we spent an entire semester on probabal cause and different scenerios in one of my criminal justice classes. I decided to not become a cop when I accidently shot myself witha ND. I decided getting shot hurt too bad to want to subject my self to the increased risks of facing that every day. I wouldn't have worked out anyways, I developed ashtma shortly after, and wouldn't have been able to pass the PT test.

I'm not claiming I know everything, but what I said about probable cause is true. I originally went to college to be a cop and we spent an entire semester on probabal cause and different scenerios in one of my criminal justice classes. I decided to not become a cop when I accidently shot myself witha ND. I decided getting shot hurt too bad to want to subject my self to the increased risks of facing that every day. I wouldn't have worked out anyways, I developed ashtma shortly after, and wouldn't have been able to pass the PT test.

bwaahahahahhaa. Is this a story or truth? BWAHAHAHHAA

Ok not really funny if true, fortunately you survived, and hopefully didn't hurt anyone in the process. Remind me never to go shooting with you.

Also, if true, this story needs a thread of its own. With pics.

1. This should show everyone here that 2nd amendment abuses happen in Illinois OUTSIDE Cook county.

2. Anyone ever traveling in this defunct state should have a printed copy of the Illinois statute in the car so they can give it to an officer in case they don't know the law.

3. Don't ever give consent to search, especially if you are getting pulled over for some dumb minor infraction like this.

4. I hope Todd doesn't let this one go, as this would be a absolutely perfect case to bring to the media and make an example of to make sure that this does not happen to anyone else. This crap happens everyday and people just don't know better and end of pleading guilty to some bogus misdemeanor charge.

1) For LEOs not knowing the law - it's probably more common than we realize.

Illinois has a myriad of gun laws that overlap and can be quite confusing.

2) I would NEVER consent to a vehicle search - and I have nothing to hide.

3) This may be a mistake confusing Illinois gun law with the Wildlife Code, which is much more restrictive.

I always follow the wildlife code, since ya' never know which code may be applied in a traffic stop.

I do think LEOs need to know the law, but I also understand that with laws constantly in flux they can't always be trained up to the minute on EVERY single law in the state. However, there hasn't been a big change in IL firearms transportation law since Diggins, so they should be up to date on that.

I say, give him back all of his stuff, reimburse him for any fines, and give some departmental training on how firearms may legally be transported.

Sorry, but if you look on Amazon, there are already lots of "civilian" dash cams out there, ranging from $20 POS systems to $250+ workable solutions. And just like the cop's dash cams, they can exonerate or incriminate.

ComEd already has cams in their trucks pointed at the drivers face.

Eugene

Archived