IGOLD: Get your butt to IGOLD.

mikew

On 3/28/2024 at 11:01 AM, mikew said:

During IGOLD, I've seen Senate President Emil Jones (Jr, not III) hiding in an area in the basement that was under construction.

If it looks like rodent behavior and acts like rodent behavior...you know the rest.

I may be driving down from Lake County.

Edited by RECarry

On 3/30/2024 at 8:08 PM, JTHunter said:

In all the times I have gone, my reps and senators have always been "no shows". 😡

No surprises there. :DOH:

It sounds like boxes stuffed with mail-in votes of no-confidence need to appear on their desks.

Edited by RECarry

As always, the easiest way to get there if you are anywhere near the Amtrak Chicago Union Station- Joliet- Bloomington-Springfield corridor is the train.

The timings are near-perfect and the walk from Springfield station to the conference center is manageable.  What with the speed improvements on the line, the transit time from Joliet to Springfield is down to about two hours.

If you're near a Metra line that terminates in Chicago Union, it's almost as easy.

As the date draws near, the fares go up by automatic algorithm so now it's running about $45 round-trip from Joliet.  It would have been more like $36-38 earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 9:43 AM, Double P said:

Very lame.  I'd guess 200 people total.  I hoped with PICA, this year would be record attendance.

I attended for many years. Every year there was just more anti-gun crap brought up and/or passed. The anti-gunners are going to anti-gun and the pro freedom ones are going to pro freedom. I honestly don't believe there are enough undecided one the gun issue to make a difference in politics.

That being said I do still do the witness slips and phone calls. I am just under no illusion that it sways their vote. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:43 AM, Double P said:

Very lame.  I'd guess 200 people total.  I hoped with PICA, this year would be record attendance.

I no longer have any responsibility for IGOLD, but dammit I tried to get people motivated.

More than 200. Way more.
Less than 8000, way less.

I took forensic photos of the seating area to do a count, later.
I have done zero that's IGOLD related all day today, save for replying to this thread just now.

Mike - I would "guesstimate" about a thousand based on what I could see on the floor and in the bleachers.

It maybe that with the economy in the shambles it is in, people are more concerned about keeping their jobs and paying their bills take precedence.  It might also be that many, esp. the older people, are losing "heart" that this state will ever change.  Looking at the way legislative districts are currently drawn is a great example of "gerrymandering". :sick: :frantics:

On 4/23/2024 at 12:30 PM, JTHunter said:

Mike - I would "guesstimate" about a thousand based on what I could see on the floor and in the bleachers.

It maybe that with the economy in the shambles it is in, people are more concerned about keeping their jobs and paying their bills take precedence.  It might also be that many, esp. the older people, are losing "heart" that this state will ever change.  Looking at the way legislative districts are currently drawn is a great example of "gerrymandering". :sick: :frantics:

500.  Not a number to be super proud of.