WHEN to apply for CCL renewal?

I received an email last week and a letter today from the ISP saying my CCL is set to expire 7-2-24.

How far out is it safe/wise to do this?  I wondered if I applied today nearly 6 months out if they might issue a new FOID/CCL with an expiration date from the day it was processed rather than July 2, when the current one expires.

Also, I see nothing in the email or letter about required additional training.  Is it simply a matter of submitting a renewal, now?

Thanks!

I've heard, from students, where the date of the CCL expired 5yrs, from the date it was issued. Hence, they lost a couple months. This is second person, so I have no 1st hand of this. What I do know is as long as it's in before the deadline, it's all good and my card has no date, so I prefer to wait until a week or two before. 

JQ

Apply 180 days before expiration to 60 days in my opinion. However, so long as you apply for renewal before you expire, you're technically not expired.  This state is jacked up so just jump on it ASAP.

You need a 3-hour class. I have weekday and weekend CCL renewal classes in Park Ridge: https://www.alphakoncepts.com/concealed-carry-license-renewal-class/

Edited by AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

On 1/10/2024 at 3:33 PM, John Q Public said:

I've heard, from students, where the date of the CCL expired 5yrs, from the date it was issued. Hence, they lost a couple months. This is second person, so I have no 1st hand of this. What I do know is as long as it's in before the deadline, it's all good and my card has no date, so I prefer to wait until a week or two before. 

JQ

Losing time is no longer the case. This was fixed, but used to be true.

Thank you for the clarification.  I will get the process underway before too long.

Will have to look for a class near Peoria.  Previous classes taken have been well done, but of no real value to someone with as much firearm experience as I have had.  I am disabled, and these classes take a toll on me.  Add in the expense involved, I wish they would be satisfied after the first round of classes.  But then, that would make sense, and this is Illinois...🥴

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Just renewed and response from ISP shows…

Under the authority of 430 ILCS 66/70 (c),  A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act. (Italicized for emphasis.)

Thank you, Kingcreek.  I found a class in Peoria with a group a friend used in the past, and liked.  First available opening was March 20, and there were only two spots left for that class.  ll earlier classes were already full.   I am registered to take it, and hope that gives the powers-that-be enough time with my July expiration date.

At least with the info vstar posted, I should be safe if I just get the renewal in.

Glad to take one step forward, at least.

• 4 weeks later...