Before Conceal Carry in Illinois?

Lord_Balkan

On 6/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, BobPistol said:

There was a time the Illinois State police recommended women use tongue depressors to make themselves puke if they're being raped. 

Well, close.
The ISP recommended that a woman could gag herself and vomit to make herself a less desirable victim.

I think it was Molly B herself who came up with the tongue depressor idea, and we used to make up tongue depressors with labels containing the ISP's advice.

And IllinoisCarry and others were in communication with firearms photographer Oleg Volk, who volunteered the above meme for the benefit of the people of Illinois.

The ISP also recommended a rat-tail comb as a defensive weapon and had some poopoo talk about how it was bad to carry a firearm.

A copy of the offending ISP webpage was saved somewhere, and maybe it's on the wayback machine as well.

I'll have to look around.  It's good to periodically see how far we've come.

Active and retired police officers and any federal agents are/were covered by federal law.

Exemptions from 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(4) -- UUW concealed -- are listed in various sections of 720 ILCS 5/24-2. Judges and politicians aren't on the list, but they could hire private security, which is on the list.

Of course, there was Donnie Trotter, an anti-2A politician, who casually tried to carry a handgun through O'Hare security (5 Dec 2012 -- I looked it up). The privileges of elected office aren't going to be listed in the law, where everybody could read them. I doubt he was the only one. He's just one who was caught, mostly without consequence (one year misdemeanor court supervision).

If you go further back in time, it gets worse, more insulting:

Use of a firearm to protect yourself or property is not recommended.

• Guns stolen from residences are a primary way of getting guns into the hands of criminals.
  • Half of all the women that fire a gun trying to protect themselves shoot someone they do not want to, i.e. friend, neighbors, relatives, etc.
  • Be aware of those times and places where there is a potential for attack and be prepared to defend yourself.

From November 5, 2004:

image.thumb.png.20fe33f621ed85101532e8c68dcc0ccb.png

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-11-19-9104140966-story.html

GUN-TOTING ALDERMEN HAVE LAW ON THEIR SIDE

By Helaine Olen
Chicago Tribune

Nov 19, 1991 at 12:00 am

Although state law prevents ordinary citizens from carrying concealed handguns, pistol-packing politicans are another matter.

So when Ald. Dorothy Tillman (3rd) allegedly drew a .38-caliber snub nosed revolver from her purse Wednesday night during a melee at a South Side community redistricting meeting, she may not have violated the law.

According to state laws, a town`s aldermen are considered ''conservators of the peace.'' As such, they have the power to arrest and the power to carry firearms.

Illinois law reqires all conservators of the peace to pass a training class in order to carry firearms. But because the city is a home-rule municipality with the power to pass its own legislation, Chicago aldermen are, by special mention, exempt from the certification process, said Andrea Swearingen, spokeswoman for the Chicago corporation counsel`s office.

Ald. Edward Burke (14th) said a law search by his office revealed the same.

I believe that was part of the municipal code.  Conservators of the peace are still defined there.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:44 PM, Lord_Balkan said:

Hey, I wanted to ask if anyone has any resources on Illinois law before conceal carry went into effect.

I know that Illinois was no issue, but I specifically want to know if there were any exceptions to the no issue. Were people who were former LEO, judges, politicians, etc able to carry? 

There was a reason businesses used to hire mostly retired LEOs as security.

Long ago... some 30 years... a neighbor had a PERC (tan card?) so he could work as a uniformed armed bank guard. He could not conceal carry - the card allowed only on the job open carry. It had to be unloaded and in a case on the way to and from his place of employment. He was not ex-LEO nor was he a gun guy.

Former or off duty cops and qualified ex-military seem to be the preferred choices for armed security amongst the companies who book them for the TV biz.

Edited by soundguy

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 9:24 PM, Euler said:

Active and retired police officers and any federal agents are/were covered by federal law.

Exemptions from 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(4) -- UUW concealed -- are listed in various sections of 720 ILCS 5/24-2. Judges and politicians aren't on the list, but they could hire private security, which is on the list.

Of course, there was Donnie Trotter, an anti-2A politician, who casually tried to carry a handgun through O'Hare security (5 Dec 2012 -- I looked it up). The privileges of elected office aren't going to be listed in the law, where everybody could read them. I doubt he was the only one. He's just one who was caught, mostly without consequence (one year misdemeanor court supervision).

I believe that one alderman (Burke?) had a tan card and carried on that.

For those who don't know, the tan card (I believe) was a special permit that allowed security guards to carry, but only on duty and when directly traveling to and from work.

I’ve had a Tan Card (FCC) since 2,000 as a PI. Cops used to freak out when they pulled onto my surveillance AO and I’d advise them I was carrying. Sometimes I’d sit there for 20 minutes whilst they decided if the Tan card was the real deal or not. none of them liked finding out about something they were never informed of. Always a hassle. 

Not many people know, but the FCCA is the 2nd time we've had CCW here. The first time was from 1919 to 1924, thanks to Senator Frank Sadler (R) Chicago, and the Act that bore his name - Senate Bill 88 in 1919.

image.thumb.png.0bb67be5ddae681e48b2d5d7e81fb1af.png

The law as it existed:

image.thumb.png.ba4c6010a88f6ab143ba33ed34f7b52e.png

After non-stop propaganda by the Chicago Media, it was repealed by Elmer Schnackenberg, a progressive Chicago (R) who was the majority leader at the time. He later became a Federal Judge. 

Google Books Link - PAge 635: https://books.google.com/books?id=xplCAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA613&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by Tango7
Added source link

On 7/21/2022 at 11:15 AM, Tango7 said:

Not many people know, but the FCCA is the 2nd time we've had CCW here. The first time was from 1919 to 1924, thanks to Senator Frank Sadler (R) Chicago, and the Act that bore his name - Senate Bill 88 in 1919.

image.thumb.png.0bb67be5ddae681e48b2d5d7e81fb1af.png

The law as it existed:

image.thumb.png.ba4c6010a88f6ab143ba33ed34f7b52e.png

After non-stop propaganda by the Chicago Media, it was repealed by Elmer Schnackenberg, a progressive Chicago (R) who was the majority leader at the time. He later became a Federal Judge. 

Thank you for posting that.  I've been looking for documents about the early carry law.

On 7/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, mauserme said:

Thank you for posting that.  I've been looking for documents about the early carry law.

Happy to help! It was a surprise to me. I'd found it actually searching the Tribune archives and noticed a story bemoaning the "weapons law". Diving into the webhole I was able to find the law, although I haven't been able to find the actual repeal of it yet.

So it seems Nitti's "I got a permit" reply in "the Untouchables" might have been accurate - but only before 1924.