Edward Jones posted GFZ

Jeff Johnson

Went to drop off my monthly self contribution and was disappointed to see "the sign". asked about it, wether it was a local decision or corporate, and was told that corporate HQ in St Louis sent the signs with instructions to post all Illinois branch offices. I voiced my objection locally and fired off a letter to corporate. My investments have done real well there but there are other places that will welcome my business.

The Edward Jones I use is not posted,plus I was in front of one last week that wasn't posted.I always look because somebody mentioned it before here.If it's corporate policy,not all the agents agree with corp. policy maybe.

Edit...Don't know why the bold font,it won't change.

There's two E.J. advisors here but have only seen postings at one of the two offices. The posting on the front door is impossible to see because it does not exist. The window is posted., however. It is arguably not even close to being in compliance. Not clear and conspicuous (ton of other crap in that front window and it's in a corner of the window, about 36" off the ground so theres no way someone my height will see that unless I need to tie my shoe or I stop for 10 seconds and scan 100+ square feet of glass for tiny 4x6 sign which I still could easily miss since the windows are filled with crap). Not posted at the entrance unless the definition of "entrance" has changed recently to include tempered glass windows and he was too cheap to put up a 4x6 in the other window so someone could walk in from the other direction and there would be no possible way to see the sign inside the window on the opposite side. I would never send someone to that FA anyway. Not because his office is posted like someome is trying to hide it but because I do not like him at all. The back door to the office is also posted. IIRC the sign is taped to the kick panel and the door is completely sealed off...not an entrance if no one can enter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I am an advisor. I offer more the E.D. Jones. My office is not posted. New business is always welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edward Jones is on the anti-gun Wall of Shame. Every office I've seen or heard about is posted. Hopefully you will be moving your money elsewhere. They deserve to go out of business for their strident hatred of the 2nd amendment...

I plan to leave my money with them when I was 18 I threw down $100 dollars at some stock some schmuck was pushing just to see what it did and a week later it crashed, hasn't been up since. I think the account is currently worth $26. They spend more than that in mailings trying to get me to do all kinds of crap LOL at this point it's amusing and I keep it in there just to spite them.

Move everything over to Etrade. On the internet no one knows you are carrying (or wearing any clothes for that matter). :drool:

I don't like them either haha. No it's for a good reason. Someone stole my SSN a couple years ago, opened an E*Trade account, savings and checking at BofA. BofA was easy to deal with. E*Trade, on the other hand, jerked me around for 6 hours. Demanding I file a police report before they close the account. Apparently "I did not open this account" is not sufficient reason to close it. You must mail them an affidavit, signature witnessed by a law enforcement officer, also signed by a law enforcement officer, along with the original police report in order to have the account closed. I told them to...erm ya.

@bobapunk

I inherently distrust financial advisors as I went to school with several who have told me that they steer clients toward securities and funds which would necessitate clients coming in for portfolio reallocation and paying the flat fee to meet with them. Then there's the time when my mom had me come with her to talk to an FA about transfer of ownership after my dad died (her friend told her that he could take care of all of it...well no not unless he's also an attorney who handles estate planning since the accounts were not joint). I told him I'd been managing the portfolio since my dad was incapacitated, he began lecturing me on how I don't know what I'm doing and I don't understand investments (cue the huge grin) and tax implications (*chuckle*) so I tossed a stack of quarterly statememts and a yearly statement across the table and said "Yea, take a look at these for me since I have no idea what's going on. 52 week return of 23%, 30% last quarter. That's awful, right? I'm sure you can do better" and he began a futile attempt to extract his foot from his mouth.

Move everything over to Etrade. On the internet no one knows you are carrying (or wearing any clothes for that matter). :drool:

I don't like them either haha. No it's for a good reason. Someone stole my SSN a couple years ago, opened an E*Trade account, savings and checking at BofA. BofA was easy to deal with. E*Trade, on the other hand, jerked me around for 6 hours. Demanding I file a police report before they close the account. Apparently "I did not open this account" is not sufficient reason to close it. You must mail them an affidavit, signature witnessed by a law enforcement officer, also signed by a law enforcement officer, along with the original police report in order to have the account closed. I told them to...erm ya.

@bobapunk

I inherently distrust financial advisors as I went to school with several who have told me that they steer clients toward securities and funds which would necessitate clients coming in for portfolio reallocation and paying the flat fee to meet with them. Then there's the time when my mom had me come with her to talk to an FA about transfer of ownership after my dad died (her friend told her that he could take care of all of it...well no not unless he's also an attorney who handles estate planning since the accounts were not joint). I told him I'd been managing the portfolio since my dad was incapacitated, he began lecturing me on how I don't know what I'm doing and I don't understand investments (cue the huge grin) and tax implications (*chuckle*) so I tossed a stack of quarterly statememts and a yearly statement across the table and said "Yea, take a look at these for me since I have no idea what's going on. 52 week return of 23%, 30% last quarter. That's awful, right? I'm sure you can do better" and he began a futile attempt to extract his foot from his mouth.

And you judge all gun owners by the actions of the 2 guys who took the picture at Chipotle too, right? Why bash someone else's profession?

@bobapunk

I certainly did not mean to offend you nor did I mean to pigeon-hole an entire profession. I should have limited the scope to the large firms. Specifically, the compensation structure. It creates an incentive to deceive and I am aware of one office in the Quad Cities area where the subordinate associates have been directed to do whatever it takes to make the most in fees and commissions most of which are kicked up to the franchisee. Whether someone chooses to deceive, that's why God gave us free will. I am personal friends with the trust officer at a local bank. We've had numerous discussions about how the well has been poisoned by unscrupulous advisors who are driven by pure, unadulated greed and will not hesitate to lie, SEC and FINRA be damned. That being said, clearly I acknowledge that there are good, honest financial advisors who take their fiduciary duty very seriously with a genuine interest in helping others. It's the ones who have told me, without hesitation, "Yeah we steer clients. So what? " and the aforementioned experience with an E.J. franchisee that has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I could say the same for partners at any of the Big Four firms....or my firm since I'm billed out at a rate and, well, let's just say I'd be clearing six figures if 75% of that wasn't kicked up to my boss.

I got a reply to the email I sent corporate Edward jones.

It was so generic they even used "generic" in the doc title. It basically said sorry if you feel frustrated or upset but our policy is for the safety of our clients and staff so we prohibit weapons in all locations and don't accept cash. Im going to be checking around for other options.

I live in Peoria and work at State Bank of Toulon, Investment Services. Neither the bank nor the Investment Services division are posted. I also have connections through my Broker/Dealer so I might be able to find an advisor nearer to you.

• 3 weeks later...
My investment advisement practice is still not posted, and will remain unposted!

• 5 months later...

As stated earlier, the Edward Jones office I use has not been posted ever since those stupid signs started appearing.Stopped in today and much to my surprise a brand new no guns sign.Had the appropriate discussion with the people there,said they were given the sign a long time ago,put it in the drawer and didn't post since they agree with concealed carry.Had an audit from corporate recently and they told them to put the sign up.I know one person there at least has an FOID,maybe a CCL,so I tend to believe them.Bummer.Now I have to find a new local place for my investing.

Archived