URGENT Legislative 12/31/12

Tvandermyde

For those that are new members or even you lurkers, here is something you may want to save.

It's a flow chart that shows how a bill becomes a law.

It will help you understand what's going on, as a bill moves through the legislative process.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lis/98bill_law.pdf

For those that are new members or even you lurkers, here is something you may want to save.

It will help you understand what's going on, as a bill moves through the legislative process.

http://www.ilga.gov/.../98bill_law.pdf

Buzz,

+1 and thanks for saving from a "take a time out, Bud'

I was going to come out and make some witty comment about the pass/fail rate in Illinois high school civics classes but i decided i wanted to stay logged on for a while.

Anyone who's paid attention to this kind of thing before, what are our odds? What are our numbers realistically. Can PM them to me if possible. We don't want anti's to see.

I would like to know as well, if someone could pm me

I don't think its giving anything away to say its difficult to know right now.

We have a very unpopular politician lashing out in an act of desperation to pass a bill that has not had sufficient support in the past, presumably seeing a tragedy still ripe for exploitation but fading from his grasp.

That's a fairly unhealthy set of circumstances.

http://www.ilga.gov/.../98bill_law.pdf

Buzz,

+1 and thanks for saving from a "take a time out, Bud'

I was going to come out and make some witty comment about the pass/fail rate in Illinois high school civics classes but i decided i wanted to stay logged on for a while.

Got your back, Bud!

Good to have you around again!

Anyone who's paid attention to this kind of thing before, what are our odds? What are our numbers realistically. Can PM them to me if possible. We don't want anti's to see.

The senate voted 46-4 to override the amended veto by Quinn that would have instituted a similar ban. I will be interesting to see how many pro-gun override votes before become anti-gun votes this time. We may see how pro-gun they might really be, or was it just a slap-down of the Governor's power grab?

That was because Quinn's amendatory veto was a kick in the cajones to the Illinois Constitution. If that had gone through, it would've gone to court and the state would have had to spend millions of dollars defending a law that was passed only by violating the IL Constitution and several of the senators and reps in swing districts or even a district that leans slightly left (so-called pro-gun Democrats or at least the people have a lassaiz faire attitude toward guns would've lost their jobs. Those libs may be wingnuts but they aren't stupid.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Emailed bill brady tonight.what is the likelyhood of something like this passing does anyone know?

Please don't think I'm being snarky, MM - because I'm not. But it doesn't matter what chance it has in passing. Because we must ALWAYS call, write, or speak to our elected Reps and Senators - each and every time - to tell them we OPPOSE these bills! As Thomas Jefferson said -

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

We are the ones that make a difference. It is our emails, calls, letters and personal contacts that make the difference. If your elected person TRULY has your interests in mind when he/she votes on bills, they will press the correct button and vote as you would have them vote! But you have to make the effort and let them know how you feel.

Emailed bill brady tonight.what is the likelyhood of something like this passing does anyone know?

Please don't think I'm being snarky, MM - because I'm not. But it doesn't matter what chance it has in passing. Because we must ALWAYS call, write, or speak to our elected Reps and Senators - each and every time - to tell them we OPPOSE these bills! As Thomas Jefferson said -

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

We are the ones that make a difference. It is our emails, calls, letters and personal contacts that make the difference. If your elected person TRULY has your interests in mind when he/she votes on bills, they will press the correct button and vote as you would have them vote! But you have to make the effort and let them know how you feel.

Superbly stated, Buzzard.

Done again

And again, and again, and again. Buzz is right, we must be eternally vigilant. Ring their phones off the hooks, fill up their emails, and run their faxes out of ink. The other side has already started, see here. There isn't time to wonder if they have the votes to pass it or play 'what if' it does.' Call, email, fax, and repeat. Let your family and friends know, and ask them to do the same thing.

So I take it that this plan is no longer current?

Illinois lawmakers have scaled back their schedule for January’s lame duck session in Springfield.

Both the state Senate and House have cancelled days.

The Senate meets Jan. 2 through Jan. 4. Senate officials announced Monday that they’ve canceled meeting Jan. 5 through Jan. 7. Senate President John Cullerton’s spokeswoman says the Senate may return on Tuesday, Jan. 8, if senators need to respond to any House action.

The House had planned to meet Jan. 3, but a memo from House Speaker Michael Madigan’s office says the initial days are cancelled and representatives won’t meet until Sunday, Jan. 6. They plan to also meet Jan. 7 and Jan. 8.

On that schedule, they'd have to work really fast.

Sent a quick email to all the politicos in my address book that represent this area and the adjoining districts. Yes, they are all on our side, but they appreciate the heads up on legislation like this and will contact their peers to spread the word and build opposition. Never pass up a chance to contact an elected official. I'll make calls to both local and Springfield offices tomorrow and again when/if we get actual bill numbers.

For you newbys, stay tuned. Get your STATE Reps and STATE Senators emails in your address books and their local and Springfield office numbers in your speed dial directory. Also, if you have the ability to fax, note their fax numbers also. Some still use that method of communication and place lots of weight on faxed documents.

You don't have to be eloquent and speak in legalese when talking to these offices. Mostly, as Harley says, you'll be talking to secretaries who are working for a living like most of us. Be courteous, (even to the anti gunners), concise and brief. If we know the bill number, just a simple "Hello, my name is Tim Bowyer and I'm calling to tell Senator Righter that I oppose Senate Bill number 666 and ask that himi to vote against it." or something similar. If you don't know the bill number, replace "Senate Bill number 666" with "semi auto and magazine bans" and that will be fine. You don't need to go into long winded explanations of why, just that you oppose or support something. Save the discussions for when you make a personal call on them in their local office.

You may find that when you call an office, the secretary will "fill in the blanks" before you state the bill number, the issue or even your stance. That's good, it's a sign that we are making a difference!!

Tim

As to the speed at which this bill can be passed. Note in Todd's opening post, he talks of Cullerton using a House bill that has already been passed to the Senate to run this bill. Here's what I think he's talking about.

There are time constraints on bills that follow the usual path to passage. They must be in a chamber for a certain amount of time before they can be taken up. However, if a bill is passed in a chamber and sent over, it can be amended and passed by chamber # 2 and sent back to the originating chamber for concurrence without having to observe the time limits, or at least it would be subject to greatly reduced time limits. This is a fairly common procedural practice when a piece of legislation is being rammed through. We've used it to our advantage on occasion. Don't cuss the procedural process, just know what we have to do to stop it.

Tim

This is Mulroe's last chance to define himself.

His vote, or lack of, will be forwarded to the NRA.

He will not skirt an "F" rating by being silent.

Let's hope he doesn't end up on the wrong side of history.

I left a message on his facebook page yesterday as suggested in this forum. Today the message is deleted.

SOMETHING is going on with with the Elections Board link that Molly stickied to the index. 15 minutes ago it worked perfect. Now I get something different and all it feeds back is a doc listing precinct committeemen...???

http://www.elections...earchByZip.aspx

The site is making the transition to the new 98th General Assembly which begins Jan. 9 with the newly elected legislators. For current 97th GA legislators, we need to call the phone number listed at that link.

State Board of Elections Springfield office at 217/782-4141

Guys --

I think this is very winable.

But you need to call and write/email.

They will go I late tommorow, they will go to caucus. If your Senator is a Democrat demand they raise a rucus within the caucus about this and demad Cullerton pull it from the agenda.

Kurt -- The limited lame duck session is still the same Senate in 2,3,4. House in 6,7,8 with the Senate maybe returning on the 8th.

Hit the klaxon boys this is lexington and Concord time

we got 24 hours till defcon 1

To quote a Chicago mayoral candidate...are they smoking crack in Springfield? How do they expect to pass a bill that bans basically everytging but bolt action rifles in a post Heller world?

A Federal judge as I see it would have no choice but to file an injunction....then again this is Illinois.

Archived