Media coverage of IGOLD 2012

Molly B.

It is too obvious that the attendance at this year's IGOLD was larger than ever. Capitol staff noticed and committed

this was largest turnout ever for our event. I'll let the estimators come along with their ideas of how many

thousands were there. But for news reports saying hundreds, or 1,500 attended, that is an outright fabrication.

Is it an intentional attempt to downplay the demand for Right to Carry? Is it meant to minimize the support this

issue has among the citizenry of this state?

Is it an attempt to diminish our efforts?

All I can say is, if that's what the media is trying to do - IT ISN'T WORKING! IGOLD continues to grow, our

voice continues to grow louder - wish all of you could have been in the rotunda and heard the sound of

THOUSANDS of Right to Carry supporters joining together in a 'concealed carry now' demonstration. Phenomenal!

Let's gather all the media links for IGOLD 2012 and post them in this thread. Thanks!

Fox Illinois

A quote from one of our own members in the Moline Dispatch/Rock Island Argus:

Lad Tucker, of Moline, made his first trip to the Capitol Wednesday for the rally. Tucker said he carries a gun, but only when he drives across the Mississippi River into Iowa where lawmakers passed a concealed carry law in 2010.

"I live five minutes from Iowa, and I have a non-resident permit (there), and I carry every day," Tucker said. "They trust me, but my own home state doesn't."

Tucker said if Illinois lawmakers see just how many gun owners support concealed carry, maybe the legislation can make it through the General Assembly.

Great Job, Lad Tucker!

-- Frank

WICS 20 Springfield and WCIA 3 Champaign both reported that "thousands of gun rights supporters gathered in Springfield today". Film from both, better coverage than we've had in the past. I haven't looked, but the video may be posted on their websites later.

Tim

A quote from one of our own members in the Moline Dispatch/Rock Island Argus:

Lad Tucker, of Moline, made his first trip to the Capitol Wednesday for the rally. Tucker said he carries a gun, but only when he drives across the Mississippi River into Iowa where lawmakers passed a concealed carry law in 2010.

"I live five minutes from Iowa, and I have a non-resident permit (there), and I carry every day," Tucker said. "They trust me, but my own home state doesn't."

Tucker said if Illinois lawmakers see just how many gun owners support concealed carry, maybe the legislation can make it through the General Assembly.

Great Job, Lad Tucker!

-- Frank

They didn't spell my name right...It's with two d's (Ladd). The down side was we only had 5 riders out of of the Quad Cities. My own fault too as I could not find anyone who could take off work to come with me. Next year I'll just hog tie someone and drag them along. And it was my second time down.

Looks like its headlined in the herald & review. Pretty much a negative article with a bunch of quoted democrats stating they believe it won't pass, election year and all.

Yeah, that's the Kurt Erickson article. It'll show up all over the state in every paper owned by Lee Enterprises and others. The media just can't get behind RTC, it's always cast in a negative light, even if it's ever so slightly. Here's the very same article from the Mattoon/Charleston paper.

And Drylok, who says there weren't 6K of us? I was at the back of the march. We were still two blocks+ from the Capitol when the first marchers crossed Second Street. I'll bet it was closer to 8 than is was to 4. JMHO!

And what's with Luetchtefeld's comment?? Why wouldn't a rep from Washington county vote FOR RTC to GAIN votes??

UAB

The Southern- article and video clip

SPRINGFIELD — Thousands of gun owners marched Wednesday on the Capitol to demand lawmakers give Illinoisans the right to carry concealed weapons.

“We’re here to remind legislators that 49 other states have concealed carry laws and that 49 other states aren’t wrong,” said John Naese of Philo, who helped organize several of the busloads of people who rallied for gun rights.

Their wishes, however, may be thwarted by election year politics.

With every member of the General Assembly up for re-election this year, legislators may be inclined to shy away from controversial votes.

A measure bringing Illinois in line with the rest of the nation on the issue of concealed weapons is just one of the hot-button issues that might be left on the backburner until after the November balloting.

“I would be surprised if it came up,” said state Sen. Dave Luechtefeld, R-Okawville. “I doubt if a lot of people want to be on that vote.”

A number of gun-related proposals are positioned for votes in the House.

Just as downstate lawmakers have been pushing to legalize concealed weapons, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is backing legislation that would create a handgun registry.

State Rep. Kelly Cassidy, D-Chicago, also is pushing for a tax on ammunition to be used to help trauma centers.

Those two issues lit a fire under Steve Mann, an Olney retiree who hadn’t previously attended a gun lobby day.

“I didn’t vote for the mayor of Chicago to be the mayor of Illinois,” Mann said. “They just keep trying to chip away at our rights.”

A concealed weapons proposal that fell six votes short of passage in the House last May has some lawmakers hopeful they will get closer if a vote is call for this spring.

“It keeps getting closer every year,” added state Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton.

But, Steve Brown, spokesman for House Speaker Michael Madigan, said he’s not sure the issue will advance this year.

“I’m pretty certain that neither side has enough votes to win,” Brown said Wednesday.

On the road this morning 101.5 WBNQ said thousands marched and that Illinois is the only hold our for CCW. It was quick but positive coverage. My dad emailed me this link this morning from the pantograph. http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/election-year-concerns-may-stall-gun-proposals/article_c1cf1004-68c3-11e1-a177-001871e3ce6c.html

Any links to the Fox News story?

Perhaps we could have someone stationed at each working entrance (volunteers) to count those coming in. Each person could take a 1 hour shift from the time the Capitol doors open until say 4 pm. I guess that would only count the people that went into the buildings then.

IDK.

Two years ago it was estimated around 7500. Last year estimate was about 6000. I'm pretty sure this year's turnout was larger than the 2010 group. Last year the Marion bus was about 25% empty but every seat filled this year. And a few on the list that didn't show up which would have left a few people standing if they had (the bus company sent a 50 seat bus instead of the 56 seat one that was ordered.) I still stand behind my estimate of 8547 people.

Add two to whatever total you come up with. I was at a meeting until 1230pm and decided to go straight to the capitol with my wife after that. Kind of bummed because I was looking forward to hitting any t shirt stands that were set up at the PCCC, and also looking forward to the ISRA pens I missed out on last year because my wife woke up quite ill:-(

Talked to Sen. Koehler at the capitol. He told me we're 2 votes short in the senate, but we are getting some backing from the black caucus that we didn't have last year....FWIW.

Archived