Photo

Could this be true.....no more renewals for now?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 papa

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:55 PM

You do not have to renew before the expiration date...but why wouldn’t you just renew and be done?
It doesn’t expire, ok
But the laziness to just click and pay seems to be the most prevalent disease currently!

Yes I renewed, yes it took forever, yes I went past the listed/printed expire date, no I did not panic.
I did get a new card and it looks just pretty as he l l and still has that new car’d smell....

:thumbsup:

#32 RandyP

• Members
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:29 AM

You do not have to renew before the expiration date...but why wouldn’t you just renew and be done?
It doesn’t expire, ok
But the laziness to just click and pay seems to be the most prevalent disease currently!

Yes I renewed, yes it took forever, yes I went past the listed/printed expire date, no I did not panic.
I did get a new card and it looks just pretty as he l l and still has that new car’d smell....

:thumbsup:

:clap:  

Edited by RandyP, 16 October 2020 - 04:30 AM.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

#33 Rmac702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:47 AM

I'm glad to see some others properly interpret the new guidelines.  It just seems so many are not aware of the fact that you don't have to renew before expiration to have a valid/active 18 month extension after the emergency is over, and who knows when that will be.  Instead of keeping a copy of your renewal, you can keep a copy of the ISP statement in your wallet if you run into a situation. I'm sure store policies will vary.  If any law enforcement agency runs your CCL or FOID after expiration, it should show active and COVID as the expiration date.

#34 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

It’s just too simple
It’s a FOID card
No test
No class
Minimal fee
Login in fill out info
Click button

WaaaLa

Prior to the pandemic everyone renewed when needed.
After the pandemic a percent of card holders refuse to renew or just suddenly can’t find the time to renew. And it’s from within you own home, not like you have to even get dressed!
Nice that there is a grace period originally put in place due to the backlogs, “we won’t let you expire” “ nor lose your right to own etc”.
So it’s business as usual for what can only be guessed at over 90% of all FOID holders.
For the rest I guess it’s a free shot at drama and discord.

#35 joedav1228

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

I applied and received my FOID & CCL at the same time, during the "disaster" period and even my FOID & CCL have "COVID-19" as an expiration date on the website BUT my card actually says "Expires: 09-30-2025".

Not a big deal but since I have a new FOID & CCL I would think it'd just show the 5 years date, it's not like I was renewing.  I wonder if my card has 9/30/25 as an expiration date but if the date will change depending on when the "disaster" period is lifted???

#36 MRE

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:12 AM

One reason to send in your renewal now, and not wait until their arbitrary extension expires, is the possibility that the “fix the foid” bill gets passed and fees going forward get jacked up. Under the language of the current bill, the increased fee wouldn’t apply until you need to renew again, and I’d argue that would also apply to fees and applications already submitted and pending. Chances are it won’t pass this fall, but it’s possible. And if it’s possible that if you wait you’ll have to pay more and get printed, why risk it?

#37 Rmac702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:06 AM

One reason to send in your renewal now, and not wait until their arbitrary extension expires, is the possibility that the “fix the foid” bill gets passed and fees going forward get jacked up. Under the language of the current bill, the increased fee wouldn’t apply until you need to renew again, and I’d argue that would also apply to fees and applications already submitted and pending. Chances are it won’t pass this fall, but it’s possible. And if it’s possible that if you wait you’ll have to pay more and get printed, why risk it?

And it's possible that one could move out of state in 2022 and save at least two years worth of fees because you no longer need one.

Edited by Rmac702, 16 October 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#38 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:43 PM

And it's possible that one could move out of state in 2022 and save at least two years worth of fees because you no longer need one.

the possibilities are endless, Madigan could resign and just before leaving office he would abolish the FOID and give Illinois residents open carry, but who knows what the future brings!

and think of all that money saved by not renewing, 25.00 or 30.00 USD....woooo

Edited by Bubbacs, 16 October 2020 - 01:45 PM.

#39 papa

• 6,526 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:44 PM

the possibilities are endless, Madigan could resign and just before leaving office he would abolish the FOID and give Illinois residents open carry, but who knows what the future brings!

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :clap:  :clap:

#40 Rmac702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:04 PM

Last time I looked, the CCL renewal fee was $150 plus whatever your three hour class costs.  I think that's a bit more than...25.00 or 30.00 USD....woooo

:frantics:

#41 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:21 PM

The original op was FOID
So I was staying on topic
If the FOID has changed to $150.00 that’s outrageous

#42 Dirty Harry

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

Speaking of 'store policy'....

A few weeks ago...I got 'bit'...for the first time

I happen to be in C®ook county... Stopped at a walmart..cuz it was there..just to pick up some soda.

Of course I had to wander by the ammo.

They had CCI stingers!! Dont see em much.  My neighbor said he wants some...so I'd figure I'd buy em up for him (even with the 1 cent rim fire tax)

Used my CCL... Nope... they said it law..then walmart policy....FOID only.

Really? Before the tax, I always used my CCL at that location. Talked to the manager..blah..blah... Tried explaining the law..He would have none of it..He was 'the manager'...

Told of em my Dupage store that I always used my CCL without issue.  I was told 'they were doing it wrong..they can be busted..etc..etc"

Walked away saying "Oh well..at least you kept me from doing a stoopid thing by paying C®ook county their ammo tax)

I was a mildly miffed...but...at least I can still say I've never paid c®ook thier ammo tax.

So..being spiteful..I went out of my way on the way home and stopped at my Dupage walmart.

They had two boxes of run of the mill CCI (40gr I think it was)...

Whipped out the CCL...nobody batted an eye..no issue as usual. (I never mentioned the C®ook walmart)

Purchased em...Walked out with my ammo..no issue.

What Cook County Wal Mart sells ammo?

#43 byxlaw

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Wheeling on Lake Cook, and Palatine on Rand; only two am aware of. Sent using Tapatalk

#44 Dirty Harry

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:44 PM

Wheeling on Lake Cook, and Palatine on Rand; only two am aware of.

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks

#45 JTHunter

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

Boy oh boy !  Am I ever glad that my FOID is good until late next year.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users