Were there problems with the website server the past couple days?

RandyP

I have had periods lately where saved favorites just time out, unable to load. Using Firefox browser. A tech buddy said it was the way something somewhere else was interpreting the saved links... I did not take the time to explore what he told me. Rebooting and running Windows Defender, returning a clean bill of health, seemed to resolve the problems. My machine is typically on all the time.

Links were mostly to gun forums and did not load sort of randomly.

Cheers,

Tim

On 2/12/2024 at 12:00 PM, Hatchet said:

I believe this is common if your using a skin I think. Been like that since the last major upgrade, no one seems to knw why it does that. Just have to refresh each time it pops up.

I'm just putting myself in the on the very skeptical side that a theme would make the difference, if it's happened since the last major update that's where I would be looking. 

This is just load, themes just don't do that and I'm sure it's most all cached anyway. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:16 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I'm just putting myself in the on the very skeptical side that a theme would make the difference, if it's happened since the last major update that's where I would be looking. 

This is just load, themes just don't do that and I'm sure it's most all cached anyway. 

Very well could be right. I'm trying to remember way back to when it first started happening and from what I remember, it started right after the themes were added. But i could be remembering wrong.

There was a major version upgrade a while ago. The version IC was running at the time hadn't been supported for years. The upgrade added several capabilities, like https and themes. It also took away the ability to search posts more than a year old and to post using BB code (mostly).

Skins are just CSS, which runs entirely on the client, so they are unlikely to be an underlying cause of server load or server errors.

I believe the "new" server code has race conditions. Usually the race works. Sometimes the race doesn't. I have no way to prove it. Meanwhile no one has a way to disprove it (or a way to debug it).

On 2/4/2024 at 11:41 AM, mauserme said:

I'm not aware of any problems, and there's nothing odd in the error logs that I can spot.

I'm going to qualify my previous answer by saying I'm not aware of any new problems.  There is that ongoing issue since we updated the forum software, but the problem RandyP mentioned in the opening post seems unrelated to that.