Photo

Guns Save Life v. Ali

firearms tax

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Blade13

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=19380

Guns Save Life, Inc. has filed suit against Cook County’s blatantly unconstitutional new ammunition tax, and along with that, the recently passed firearms tax in Guns Save Life v. Ali.

The suit relies in part on the United States Supreme Court case which ruled that citizens cannot “be required to pay a tax for the exercise of . . . a high constitutional privilege.” Follett v. Town of McCormick, 321 U.S. 578 (1944).

Just as taxing the right to vote is unconstitutional, or to attend church or a city council meeting would be unconstitutional, so too is this tax on the retail sale of ammunition.

Joining Guns Save Life in the suit is Maxon Shooter’s Supplies and Indoor Range and Marilyn Smolenski.  Maxon’s, a Cook County retail merchant, has seen sales suffer as people buy their guns at other retailers outside of Cook County to save money and avoid the punitive, unconstitutional tax.

Complaint

NRA Patriot Life Member
ISRA Life Member

GSL

#2 JMontgomery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

I just saw this on the Guns Save Life website and was coming here to do what Blade13 did.

GREAT NEWS!

I know Guns Save Life has plans to get out there in some more high-profile educational efforts, I had no idea "we" (I'm a member) were getting into litigation as well.  This is REALLY great news.

Even if GSL doesn't win on this in the short term, the fact that gun owners are pushing back on this Chicago idiocy is great news. 

I think Chicago (and Cook County) have their plates full with all of the Black Lives Matter stuff and that video.  I'm glad we could add to their pain in the butt.

#3 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 4,295 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

23138-excellentjpg-zryq.jpeg

Have all boated who fish?

#4 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,412 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

8ac.png

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#5 quackersmacker

• 1,777 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:02 AM

I get really tired of seeing the same old photos of ChicagoRonin.     and that  other guy showing himself shooting something,,,,,, geez, save the bandwidth.

Anyway, great to see some folks taking positive action!

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#6 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,889 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

Looks like Crook is going to spend more of the tax payers money on fighting yet another battle in court.  

I'm fine with that.  I'm not fine with them continuing to create laws and new taxes against constitutionally guaranteed rights.  

Hopefully Crook has to pay up.  Seeing the county go bankrupt over their illogical taxation schemes will be pure bliss because at some point, people are going to wake up and start voting these idiots out of office.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#7 Joebillybob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

I get really tired of seeing the same old photos of ChicagoRonin.     and that  other guy showing himself shooting something,,,,,, geez, save the bandwidth.

That picture used by ronin is not a selfie... That's tiny dancer himself, truly one of the best mayors in the long storied history of Chicago. Purple off

#8 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

That picture used by ronin is not a selfie... That's tiny dancer himself, truly one of the best mayors in the long storied history of Chicago. Purple off

I gotta admit that I am kinda jealous of Quaker and the fact that he doesn't know who the idiot in the picture is.  I'd too rather not know him.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#9 JackTripper

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

You can disable "signatures" in your profile settings.Then you won't see all that junk.

Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#10 LYU370

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

You can disable "signatures" in your profile settings.Then you won't see all that junk.

YAY! I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. I hate when the signature is longer than the actual post.

Now they are gone.

#11 borgranta

• Members
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

This may be the best way to oppose FOID cards since the application fees are just as much a tax as the ammo tax is.
The following referral code will grant provide a new User of Uber a free ride up to $15
donaldd4557ui

#12 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,412 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

Are you saying that you think I look like the RahmsFührer?

8ac.png

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#13 POAT54

• Members
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

Guess it is today, GSL meeting in Oak Lawn.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=19479

We’ll be talking about Guns Save Life v. Ali and how GSL is venturing into the legal arena to protect and defend our Constitutional rights.  We’ll talk about the upcoming gun “buyback” Rahm is funding, and how we’re going to get a (much bigger) slice of that pie.  We’ll cover the latest news and information of what’s happening in the world.

Guns Save Life Chicago!
Sunday, December 27th
Oak Lawn VFW
Johnson – Phelps
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5220
9514 S 52nd Ave
Oak Lawn, IL

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

#14 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Random side note: why didn't they go with "Guns Save Lives"? Was it already trademarked? For me at least, it seems to make more sense grammatically.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#15 RoadyRunner

• Members
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Random side note: why didn't they go with "Guns Save Lives"? Was it already trademarked? For me at least, it seems to make more sense grammatically.

There was already a (national) organization using that name. 'Guns save life' is an Illinois based organization.

IC Supporting member
NRA life member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#16 RacerDave6

• 3,391 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

There was already a (national) organization using that name. 'Guns save life' is an Illinois based organization.

Actually it's the other way around.

Guns Save Life (the IL group), according to their page, was founded in the mid 90's.

Guns Save Lives, according to their page, was founded in 2011.

Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#17 RoadyRunner

• Members
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

Actually it's the other way around.
Guns Save Life (the IL group), according to their page, was founded in the mid 90's.
Guns Save Lives, according to their page, was founded in 2011.

Thanks! Thought it was the other way around...

IC Supporting member
NRA life member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#18 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:45 AM

Yes, we (long time member) have been around for 20 years.   Jim.

Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#19 Len S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

There should be a law that states" if a politician sponsors or co sponsors a law that is later found to be unconstitutional the costs for the legal proceedings for both the state and the plaintiff should come from the election fund of the sponsors and their party. That would slow the "'good idea fairys" from spreading their crap. Right now there is no mechanism to hold those responsible for writing bad laws responsible except the ballot box which does not seem to be working.
Air goes in and out
Blood goes round and round
Any deviation of the above is a bad thing.

Class motto in Paramedic class 1994

#20 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Agreed. There's legislative immunity, that needs to be stripped from politicians who knowingly and deliberately sponsor bills (that become law) which are facially unconstitutional. Pleading ignorance wouldn't save them in cases which have been ruled on by courts. Spitting on controlling precedent would be the most egregious offenses, such as what San Francisco did to trigger Jackson. Qualified immunity rather than absolute immunity, that would make them think twice before cramming laws through that infringe on our civil liberties. The pathetic argument that legislators should enjoy absolute immunity because of potential retaliation by the minority when the minority becomes the majority, it doesn't hold water. First of all, in Chicago and Crook, the minority will NEVER end up becoming the majority. They have absolutely nothing to worry about other than internal garbage within their own party. They trample on the rights of their constituents with impunity. It's disgusting. I only advocate for such provisions in cases where even a blind person could see that the law is unconstitutional on its face and the legislators who passed it know it's unconstitutional. But don't care. Extreme cases, high bar for review so the majority doesn't use it to retaliate for laws passed while the majority was the minority. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#21 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,412 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

So, how about this as a countermeasure against this sort of clownery:

IL General Assembly Short Session to Consider Sales Tax Preemption Bill

Washington, DC – -(Ammoland.com)- This week, the Illinois General Assembly will convene for a short session.

During the short session it is important that you contact your state Representative and politely urge him or her to cosponsor House Bill 4348, introduced by state Representative Jerry Costello (D-116). HB 4348 seeks to remove the power of local governments and municipalities to impose a sales tax on firearm and ammunition purchases.

This legislation would also void the currently standing firearm and ammunition sales tax in the City of Chicago.

These taxes seek to make an already expensive product even more so, potentially pricing law-abiding citizens out of exercising their Second Amendment rights. Further, those taxes levied from gun owners are placed into the “Public Safety Fund,” thereby blaming law-abiding individuals and forcing them to pay for the crimes and acts committed by criminals.

Please contact your state Representative and politely urge him or her to cosponsor House Bill 4348.

Contact information for your state Representative can be found here.

Read more: http://www.ammoland..../#ixzz3yNdNcOdW
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The legislature at work!

Gb1XExdm.jpg