Myers v. Kelly (3:23-cv-02553) (S.D. IL) - FOID Card Challenge

Upholder

Docket: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67647542/myers-v-kelly/

This case was brought in state court by Thomas Maag and was transferred to the Southern District of Illinois Federal District court.  It challenges the FOID.

So far, in federal court, the state has been granted two Extensions of Time to File Answer motions, one on July 28, 2023 and one on Aug 28, 2023.

On 8/31/2023 at 2:04 PM, steveTA84 said:

Oh boy LOFL! 

https://civilrights.org/resource/oppose-the-confirmation-of-david-dugan-to-the-u-s-district-court-for-the-southern-district-of-illinois/

3C0E27CF-ACA2-4C14-931F-0FD2C119DA46.thumb.jpeg.6552e913fa6797f28d32f4fcdf1997f6.jpegF983BDE1-D242-47B3-986F-9D8DCAC52870.thumb.jpeg.d7c5c5d18e027bd11d9a2c5319e1b2dc.jpeg

and not one word about recusal, anti-gunners. You lost that right 

86B58874-7602-48AF-BE2D-91F52674CD49.thumb.jpeg.c64826aa653b1f2b8a3b0fc84dd60977.jpeg

It is interesting how a web site titled "civilrights.org" talks about gun control as being common sense. One would think a group fighting for civil rights would support groups fighting against taking away our rights. 

If you read the federal docket, you can see that Maag has not been cooperating with court procedures at all up to now, despite threats of sanctions from the judge.

Apparently Maag really doesn't want to be there.

Maybe that was his strategy to get the case kicked out of federal court all along. I'm speculating. My psychic powers have failed on this one.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:04 PM, Euler said:

If you read the federal docket, you can see that Maag has not been cooperating with court procedures at all up to now, despite threats of sanctions from the judge.

Apparently Maag really doesn't want to be there.

Maybe that was his strategy to get the case kicked out of federal court all along. I'm speculating. My psychic powers have failed on this one.

Why? He has a judge who appears to understand the 2A. What the heck is going back to state court going to do?!?!?!?

Yeah, there's no reason to move it back. As I've said before, any FOID case has to go through the federal courts, so I don't understand the strategy here.

I decided to read the original complaint. Maybe it has some clues.

Complaint said:

Count I [which the complaint calls Count II]

1. ... Plaintiff ... is a citizen and resident of ... Illinois.

6. ... Plaintiff applied for a [FOID], which was denied on May 12, 2023, on the basis that 430 ILCS 65/8(n) prohibits issuing a FOID card to a person prohibited by any Illinois state statute or federal law ..., and that there is some allegedly relevant disqualification from South Carolina from 2017.

8. ... the South Carolina matter refers to a non-violent drug conviction.

9. ... [Range v Garland, US Court of Appeals for the 3rd Cicuit, en banc (2023)]

WHEREFORE ... (1) ordering Defendant to issue Plaintiff a fully valid FOID card, (2) declaring 430 ILCS 65/8 unconstitutional, as applied to Plaintiff, ...

Count II [which the complaint also calls Count II]

5. ... the Illinois legislature and the governor of Illinois passed and enacted ... 735 ILCS 5/2-101.5 ...

6. That the purported statute purports to limit access to the Court by the citizens of Illinois ...

WHEREFORE ... declare 735 ILCS 5/2-101.5 unconstitutional and (1) deny any change of venue motion based upon 735 ILCS 5/2-101.5, (2) to enjoin Defendant Kelly ... from challenging the venue ... based on 735 ILCS 5/2-101.5 ...

So it's half a 2A civil case and half a 1A civil case.

When the complaint says it wants those laws declared unconstitutional and Maag wants the case in Illinois state courts, that means he wants those laws declared unconstitutional by the Illinois state constitution. Also he wants the state courts to follow a Federal precedent from CA3 for the FOID challenge part. Hmm...

Edited by Euler

On 9/13/2023 at 10:38 PM, davel501 said:

That's what he wants - a garbage opinion from a documented corrupt court that he can get smacked down by scotus. 

The problem is the State Supreme Court may do what they did in the Brown case, which was to completely ignore the Second Amendment question and find another reason to rule against the plaintiff, creating a body of bad case law that SCOTUS wouldn't be inclined to take.

It would be better to stay in federal court.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:17 PM, Euler said:

If Maag presents a weak case and further sabotages it to insure he loses at the state level, the US Supreme Court is extremely unlikely to grant a petition for certiorari.

You ever have a good idea but the execution gets messy but you love the idea so much that you try to power through? That could be what we're seeing. I hope it ends up working out but I wonder if he'd be better off stepping back and reevaluating the situation as it is rather than how he thought it could be. 

Any updates on this? I really don't understand why Maag wants it moved back to state court. I'm hoping the federal judge tells him to pound sand.

Which, ironically, would actually benefit Maag (and the rest of us, too).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 8:56 PM, Euler said:

On September 27, the judge set the following schedule.

10/25: joint status report due
11/01: scheduling conference
11/07: final pretrial conference
11/18: bench trial

Presumably the judge will rule on 11/01 or 11/07 on Maag's motion to remand the case back to the state.

So they will get this started on 11/18 if it doesn’t go back to the state?
Usually this cr@p drags on for months….