Question about Concealed Carry Classes

I have my FOID, and I’d like to apply for my CCL.  My problem is I am a full time caregiver to an elderly parent and getting away 8 hrs a day for two days to fulfill the 16 hour commitment is at the moment impossible.  Are there ways to break up the classes, take portions online, do 8 hours one week and the other 8 hours maybe the next? Anything whatsoever? I realize I need the training, and in no way am I trying to take shortcuts. It’s just, as aforementioned, impossible to commit an entire weekend… it’ll be almost impossible to do 8 hours.  Taking care of my mom is pretty rough, but glad I can do it, since I work from the house. The last thing I’d do is abandon her to take some classes.  There’s gotta be a way to fulfill the 16 hour class obligation for people in situations such as myself.  
Cheers. 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:17 PM, CFREUND01 said:

I have my FOID, and I’d like to apply for my CCL.  My problem is I am a full time caregiver to an elderly parent and getting away 8 hrs a day for two days to fulfill the 16 hour commitment is at the moment impossible.  Are there ways to break up the classes, take portions online, do 8 hours one week and the other 8 hours maybe the next? Anything whatsoever? I realize I need the training, and in no way am I trying to take shortcuts. It’s just, as aforementioned, impossible to commit an entire weekend… it’ll be almost impossible to do 8 hours.  Taking care of my mom is pretty rough, but glad I can do it, since I work from the house. The last thing I’d do is abandon her to take some classes.  There’s gotta be a way to fulfill the 16 hour class obligation for people in situations such as myself.  
Cheers. 

Call your preferred trainer and see what they are willing to do. I know of places that did classes over a few nights, etc. for situations like yours but not sure who currently does. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers. 

If you are in Central Illinois we offer the 8 hour classes separately and you can split weekends.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:23 AM, stevem4134 said:

For those who can not attend an Initial or Renewal CCL Class in person, can the class be taken over the internet or Zoom from an ISP approved instructor?

My question was a little vague. I meant the classroom portion not the shooting portion.

Is that the classroom portion permitted to be taught over the internet?

On 4/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, Smallbore said:

I have lost track of a fellow local instructor (who took his 16 hr through me) who was later doing the classroom portion one on one through zoom. The ISP okayed it according to him. 

The danger, of course, is when the ISP says it wasn't approved (or was approved in error), and all those students lose their CCLs.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers. 

I give classes on a flexible schedule.  Mostly during the week.  Contact reelpro52@gmail.com

On 4/26/2023 at 10:17 PM, DJ1964 said:

A friend of mine took the CCL Class 2 years ago. If he has his certificate can you go ahead and apply for his license?

If you use someone else's certificate, you are committing fraud or perjury. You are claiming that you are the one who went through the training. 

430 ILCS 66/30
Sec. 30. Contents of license application.
(a) The license application shall be in writing, under penalty of perjury, on a standard form adopted by the Department and shall be accompanied by the documentation required in this Section and the applicable fee. Each application form shall include the following statement printed in bold type: "Warning: Entering false information on this form is punishable as perjury under Section 32-2 of the Criminal Code of 2012."

On 4/27/2023 at 6:29 PM, Quiet Observer said:

If you use someone else's certificate, you are committing fraud or perjury. You are claiming that you are the one who went through the training. 

430 ILCS 66/30
Sec. 30. Contents of license application.
(a) The license application shall be in writing, under penalty of perjury, on a standard form adopted by the Department and shall be accompanied by the documentation required in this Section and the applicable fee. Each application form shall include the following statement printed in bold type: "Warning: Entering false information on this form is punishable as perjury under Section 32-2 of the Criminal Code of 2012."

Sorry I did not type that correctly...let me try again.

A friend of mine took his CCL class 2 years ago and still has his certificate. He never applied  for his CCL. He now is wanting to apply for his CCL. Can he take the certificate from the class he took 2 years ago and apply for his Conceal Carry License?

On 4/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, DJ1964 said:

Sorry I did not type that correctly...let me try again.

A friend of mine took his CCL class 2 years ago and still has his certificate. He never applied  for his CCL. He now is wanting to apply for his CCL. Can he take the certificate from the class he took 2 years ago and apply for his Conceal Carry License?

A 2 year old is good to go. we have clients use 5 year old certificates.

I know of several instructors that could offer different formats from the traditional double 8's. I've run four hours over 4 evenings, two 4's and an 8... As long as the students get the full 16 required by law, it's all good.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:41 PM, Smallbore said:

A 2 year old is good to go. we have clients use 5 year old certificates.

The latest format cert was issued in 2018. I mistakenly issued an older format one 😵 and my student got rejected until he gets a corrected one .