Moore vs IL Attorney General

It could also mean she's making her denial as bulletproof as she can . . . but I admit, it does seem like if she just wanted to spit out a denial, she could have done it by Monday or Tuesday.

Or maybe she's sitting on a beach somewhere, reading these posts, knowing that she'll be gone for another 2 weeks!!! And laughing at every word!!

AB

If the Judge wanted an easy denial, she could have cut and pasted Judge Lampkin's analysis in People v. Mimes. Personally, I think the delay is a good thing. It means that we will get a well thought out opinion either, win or lose. A well thought out opinion against us gives the 7th circuit a lot of theories to reject in writing, while a well thought out decision for us gives the 7th Circuit an easier jumping off point. The wheels of justice turn very slowly.

How far (geographically) does a district judge's authority extend? I know that a ruling by a circuit court is binding through out the circuit, does the same hold true for a district? Would the state only be injorned from enforcement within the Central District of Illinois?

Good question. To start... I found this:

"United States district courts--The decisions of U.S. district courts are mandatory on specialized lower courts if within the appellate jurisdiction of the district court (i.e., bankruptcy, territorial courts, etc.). District court decisions are not binding on state courts. "

I am not clear on what this passage means for us. Looking forward to a discussion and some insight.

How far (geographically) does a district judge's authority extend? I know that a ruling by a circuit court is binding through out the circuit, does the same hold true for a district? Would the state only be injorned from enforcement within the Central District of Illinois?

Good question. To start... I found this:

"United States district courts--The decisions of U.S. district courts are mandatory on specialized lower courts if within the appellate jurisdiction of the district court (i.e., bankruptcy, territorial courts, etc.). District court decisions are not binding on state courts. "

I am not clear on what this passage means for us. Looking forward to a discussion and some insight.

The information you quoted refers to case law citation. A US District court decision is "persuasive" but not "binding" on a State court. A 7th Circuit decision is "binding" on the lower US District Court.

The US District court has jurisdiction over whatever parties are named and the subject matter of the suit. It's not a question of geography. In this case, the subject matter is the US Constitution in relation to a State law and the court has jurisdiction over the "State" through Lisa Madigan, as the "enforcer" of the law in question. If the US District court finds the law unconstitutional, it's unconstitutional PERIOD, not just in Springfield, etc. geography is irrelevant in this case. Federal Judges are crazy powerful, especially when it comes to constitutional questions of law. These are not judges hearing traffic tickets or divorce cases. These are judges that are appointed for life and hear the "real" cases that shape the legal landscape.

The fact that the judge is thinking things out, could be a good sign for us.

And the fact that she was appointed by the president, backed by Durbin and yet is a gun owner and transports her firearm in her car

Drunk%20emoticon.gif

The only concern I have mirrors what happened in Peruta, where the judge found that because unloaded open carry was allowed, the right was not prohibited. The judge may use this as an 'out' and punt the case, but I don't believe a negative ruling, based on 'unloaded and enclosed in a case,' would stand a chance on appeal to the 7th Circuit.

Either way, this is going to be a very interesting decision to read.

The fact that the judge is thinking things out, could be a good sign for us.

And the fact that she was appointed by the president, backed by Durbin and yet is a gun owner and transports her firearm in her car

Drunk%20emoticon.gif

The only concern I have mirrors what happened in Peruta, where the judge found that because unloaded open carry was allowed, the right was not prohibited. The judge may use this as an 'out' and punt the case, but I don't believe a negative ruling, based on 'unloaded and enclosed in a case,' would stand a chance on appeal to the 7th Circuit.

yea... but we only have open is when we hunt. right

My concern is a parellel of the issue, not the method of carry. In Peruta, the judge ruled that 'unloaded open carry' was a sufficient enough allowance that it did not prohibit the right. The judge in Moore can rule that 'unloaded and enclosed in a case' does the same. This is my concern regarding her comment about being able to transport a firearm in IL.

From the first hand accounts, it seems that our side made the distinction between 'transporting' and 'bearing a functional firearm.' I just hope the judge noted the differences.

What would be hilarious is if she interpreted the "militia" exception to allow open carry. This would technically be allowed if you believe the arguments in shepherds motion for summary judgment in the other federal case. The people are the militia and to disarm the militia violates the prefatory clause. Or that the statute contradicts itself, kind of hard to explain in a forum posts.

My concern is a parellel of the issue, not the method of carry. In Peruta, the judge ruled that 'unloaded open carry' was a sufficient enough allowance that it did not prohibit the right. The judge in Moore can rule that 'unloaded and enclosed in a case' does the same. This is my concern regarding her comment about being able to transport a firearm in IL.

From the first hand accounts, it seems that our side made the distinction between 'transporting' and 'bearing a functional firearm.' I just hope the judge noted the differences.

ok i see where you was going with it now. transporting and bearing. i think she will know, she transport's her firearm.

If the judge goes with the Peruta thing because of unloaded and enclosed in a case, they will give us so much more to argue about, like the operable part of Heller and they will have surrendered the outside the home and self defense.

In some ways I wish for it.

I think they are in a box and trying to figure out the best wall to punch through.

Archived