Photo

States That Will Honor Illinois Carry License

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Currently 22 states (23 counting Illinois) will honor the Illinois Concealed Carry license:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri

Montana - added 7/31/2014

Nebraska - added 6/11/2014

Nevada - added 6/24/2014
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont

Wisconsin  - added 4/7/2014

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Edited by Molly B., 18 August 2014 - 12:12 PM.
edited to add Nevada

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 TyGuy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

OC in Wisconsin

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#3 Broadhead

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

The only state that isn't on that list that I would like to see is Colorado as my family has a cabin out there.

You and me both; I am a CO resident.

One, and only one, thing must happen for CO to recognize the IL permit of IL residents: IL must recognize the CO permit. That's the only requirement; no reciprocity agreement nor other formal document is required. So it's up to IL to make it happen.

Edited by Broadhead, 27 January 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#4 jagt48

• 1,110 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

The only state that isn't on that list that I would like to see is Colorado as my family has a cabin out there.

One, and only one, thing must happen for CO to recognize the IL permit of IL residents: IL must recognize the CO permit. That's the only requirement; no reciprocity agreement nor other formal document is required. So it's up to IL to make it happen.

Oh I'm sure they will make this a priority when the session starts.

#5 BIGDEESUL

• Members
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

What? Marijuana is legal there! This state will rob someone of their 2a rights for being a medical user. We can't have permit holders from a stoner state running around over here! (Purple)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Supporting member
NRA life member
Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA certified Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor
NRA certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA certified Home Firearm Safety Instructor

#6 Broadhead

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

We can't have permit holders from a stoner state running around over here!

I understand and appreciate the jokes. Even with no mutual recognition, you can travel with a loaded handgun in your vehicle anywhere in CO, no permit required, and you can OC everywhere in CO, also no permit required, except in the People's Democratic Republic of Denver (long story). So come visit and bring your handguns!

Edited by Broadhead, 27 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#7 jagt48

• 1,110 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

We can't have permit holders from a stoner state running around over here!

I understand and appreciate the jokes. Even with no mutual recognition, you can travel with a loaded handgun in your vehicle anywhere in CO, no permit required, and you can OC everywhere in CO, also no permit required, except in the People's Democratic Republic of Denver (long story). So come visit and bring your handguns!

I would, and my wife has friends that live around Denver and has talked about a possible move (outside of Denver County of course). The thing is now there is that dumb 15 round mag ban to contend with.

#8 Broadhead

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

The thing is now there is that dumb 15 round mag ban to contend with.

Insignificant. Magazines owned prior to the ban are grandfathered. All but a couple of the County Sheriffs have joined in a lawsuit challenging the new law; they know it's unenforceable and won't bother trying to enforce it. Plus few handgun models have 16+ round mags anyway.

#9 jagt48

• 1,110 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

The thing is now there is that dumb 15 round mag ban to contend with.

Insignificant. Magazines owned prior to the ban are grandfathered. All but a couple of the County Sheriffs have joined in a lawsuit challenging the new law; they know it's unenforceable and won't bother trying to enforce it. Plus few handgun models have 16+ round mags anyway.

I am thinking more about my rifle mags, however my G17 has 17 and 33 round mags so there is that as well. Maybe this would be an excuse to get a G20 in the future...

#10 Broadhead

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

I am thinking more about my rifle mags, however my G17 has 17 and 33 round mags so there is that as well. Maybe this would be an excuse to get a G20 in the future...

Any magazines owned prior to the law (mid 2013) are legal. No way anyone can prove you bought them post-ban (which is required by the law). Of course, any excuse to buy another pistol is a good excuse! :)

Edited by Broadhead, 29 January 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#11 blazzinbird

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Molly what do you figure will be the final number?
If you like your gun, you can keep it...... But only if you don't vote democrat come this fall.

#12 Pipedoc

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

There are a few more that may honor us in the future. Some more info could be found in this thread.
http://illinoiscarry...topic=43971&hl=

2A Firearms Education
www.2AFE.com
815-714-9757

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#13 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Wild guess - 24.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#14 SaferStateFirearms

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

So if Utah is on the list then why are all these instructors advertising the Utah carry as being included in the IL carry course?

Jon Moloney
www.saferstatefirearms.com

#15 Tango7

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

So if Utah is on the list then why are all these instructors advertising the Utah carry as being included in the IL carry course?

Jon Moloney
www.saferstatefirearms.com

Are they teaching the UTCCW as a part of the first 8 hours?
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#16 Pipedoc

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

Much of Utah's course is covered in the Illinois course (Illinois is just a longer version and Utah law is naturally different)

More states recognize Utah's license than Illinois.

2A Firearms Education
www.2AFE.com
815-714-9757

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#17 Smittyp83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

I'm surprised Illinois is going to honor their own permit.
[Posted Image

#18 LannyH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

are you sure they will

#19 Daltongang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

are you sure they will

Both valid questions

sent from my electronic carrier pigeon

#20 Chicagoster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

i have utah (and soon be to Illinois - crossing my fingers). was considering applying for FL...but, any body have any intel on if Florida will reciprocate? Its over $100 to apply and if there will reciprocity I could potenially save $100 and ANOTHER card in my wallet. :)

My sincerest apologies if topic/question has been address before. I read the other linky but didn't see menton of FL.

Thanks all:

1. for this awesome forum of info.
2. great list of FFL's (that i ended up have an excellent experience with
3. for answering my question (if possible).

be safe my friends!!!

Edited by Chicagoster, 22 February 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#21 GlockShooter

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

I'm rusty, but I think you only gain Florida.

Check handgunlaw.us to be sure.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.
abolt243

#22 David59

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yep, Florida and New Mexico. From the Florida DOA. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

#23 David59

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

If the Illinois training standards remain the same our Illinois permits should get us Nevada.

They require equal or greater training than them and our training exceeds theirs. Only 15 states have reciprocity with Nevada now.

#24 Chicagoster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

sorry i meant does anyone have insight on whether or not Florida will reciprocate with IL....thus saving us the process of applying for a FL ccw. Therefore, saving us $100+ and saving us to have to carry another CCW card in our wallets.

#25 Chicagoster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Yep, Florida and New Mexico. From the Florida DOA. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

Correct, my quick check is that a FL CCW will also gain Florida and New Mexico (if someone already has UTAH CCW).

#26 David59

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

“The Florida Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.”

Illinois will probably not negotiate with other states unless they have similar training and background checks as us. Florida does not.

#27 soundguy

• 2,484 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

does anyone have insight on whether or not Florida will reciprocate with IL....thus saving us the process of applying for a FL ccw.

No one has any insight to answer your question.

While Florida might like to have an agreement with Illinois, their training requirements will probably not be good enough for Florida residents to carry in Illinois on a Florida permit. I think Florida requires a two way agreement (reciprocity) and is not likely to allow us to carry there with an Illinois permit.

If you wish to carry in Florida, you probably wanna get the Florida non-resident permit.
Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#28 Chicagoster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

does anyone have insight on whether or not Florida will reciprocate with IL....thus saving us the process of applying for a FL ccw.

No one has any insight to answer your question.

While Florida might like to have an agreement with Illinois, their training requirements will probably not be good enough for Florida residents to carry in Illinois on a Florida permit. I think Florida requires a two way agreement (reciprocity) and is not likely to allow us to carry there with an Illinois permit.

If you wish to carry in Florida, you probably wanna get the Florida non-resident permit.

okay...thanks everyone for the quick responses...i'll plunk down the cash and go ahead and apply. my luck...and i give it 10-1 odds...as soon as i'm approved and get a FL CCW, they will announce reciprocity with IL. :)

thanks again all! much much appreciated!

#29 soundguy

• 2,484 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Post again after you receive your Florida permit. Should Illinois welcome Florida shortly after, I believe we shall all thank you!
Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#30 speedracer815

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone know if Wisconsin has anything in the works to allow IL? I spend time in IL, WI and FL and I hate to need 3 cards.
“Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.” – Frederick Douglass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users