Photo

HB3647 are we aware and on this one?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 armored223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just had this sent to me by a friend, is this new and is this on our radar? Smells alot like a crook county style trap. HB3647? It is bill that will crack down on anyone who possesses bomb making materials, i.e.; explosive materials (something like gun powder) and pipe material (so anyone that reloads ammo and has any pipe for plumbing). The bill is so generic as written that just having the combination of the two will make a person a terrorist bomber subject to arrest and prosecution. There was an article on this in the (Bloomington) Pantagraph on Wednesday, July 31st (page A7).

#2 Burtonrider10022

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

A little "constrictive intent" clause never hurt anyone.

/purple

-James-

-NRA Life Member-

#3 Patriots & Tyrants

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like you better not be a pipefitter or plumber who also likes exploding targets.....or a reloader who is a Pipefitter or plumber...or someone who owns pipe and reloads....jeeze

#4 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Yes, the sponsor, who is my rep, called as he was about to file this bill. The intent is to control the materials that were used by the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber. He's well aware of the impact that too broad restrictions would have on shooters, reloaders, black powder shooters et. al. As the bill becomes refined, the intent will be clear.

Stand down for now, they're not in session anyway.

Tim
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#5 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 21,101 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Just had this sent to me by a friend, is this new and is this on our radar? ...

We have a list of Veto Session bills you can check if you're ever wondering what's on our list.

#6 Googe1227

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I've heard from several sources that I trust inside the CC Forest Preserve District that Dart has personally approached them and is seeking their backing to quietly try to push a bill banning concealed carry on their property. Which by the way is the property of all cook county tax payers.

Has anybody else heard anything?

Edited by Googe1227, 31 July 2013 - 09:06 PM.

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison
NRA, ISRA, GOA, SAF

#7 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

I've heard from several sources that I trust inside the CC Forest Preserve District that Dart has personally approached them and is seeking their backing to quietly try to push a bill banning concealed carry on their property. Which by the way is the property of all cook county tax payers.

Concealed carry is already banned on Cook County Forest Preserve land

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#8 Googe1227

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Concealed carry is already banned on Cook County Forest Preserve land

My bad. I thought they had excluded trails within the Forest Preserve but that was actually for municipal parks.
"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison
NRA, ISRA, GOA, SAF

#9 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

yes
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

my posts are moderated due to some butthurt on the part of IC people not liking my comments at times

#10 Murf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I know there are some folks concerned that HB3647 will ban exploding targets/tannerite as well.

#11 RockerXX

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

The intent is to control the materials that were used by the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber. He's well aware of the impact that too broad restrictions would have on shooters, reloaders, black powder shooters et. al. As the bill becomes refined, the intent will be clear.

Regardless of intent the law will have very little to no impact on those bent on doing wrong, and I highly suspect no matter how well intended or written it will be abused to railroad people by our legal system...

It's simply another 'feel good' law to appeal to those that actually think it will do something...

What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree and is very dangerous?
A sparrow with a machine gun!

#12 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

The intent is to control the materials that were used by the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber. He's well aware of the impact that too broad restrictions would have on shooters, reloaders, black powder shooters et. al. As the bill becomes refined, the intent will be clear.

Regardless of intent the law will have very little to no impact on those bent on doing wrong, and I highly suspect no matter how well intended or written it will be abused to railroad people by our legal system...

It's simply another 'feel good' law to appeal to those that actually think it will do something...

This.

It is a law that will not work and thus is not a needed law. Making pipe bombs is already illegal, and people still do it. So why ban the ingredients? I am against it wholly.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#13 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 21,101 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

In spite of a clever play on the word "backward" I've removed off topic posts.

#14 RockerXX

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

So why ban the ingredients? I am against it wholly.

As am I, fully against it as I can easily see a law like this being abused beyond belief while it serves no legit purpose... I have experienced first hand and been charged for having ordinary items that the police said were for illegal purposes because they wanted to fabricate evidence that fit their agenda and story...

When they say the law is about preventing people from say making PETN, just outlaw the final product and leave it at that... Because the truth is most people here have 4 or 5 out of the 6 things needed to synthesize PETN... And it only takes a basic understanding of organic chemistry to fill in the rest of the blanks and even synthesize the last item needed from more common household stuff...

Yeah, they would have to likely prove 'intent' to get a conviction but accusations, charges, legal cost, and time served are costly enough even without a conviction... Been there and done that and it was one of the worst and most costly years of my life...

Edited by RockerXX, 01 August 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#15 SiliconSorcerer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

It would be a challenge to walk into anyone's home and not find a combination of something I couldn't make explode.
I'm surprised how somethings have gotten more difficult to obtain (LEGIT STUFF) while others clearly more dangerous are now much more readily available (and cheaper) on ebay.

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

Remington Historical Foundation - 501©3 - donate to me ;) 

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#16 GUNS&LAWYERS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I know there are some folks concerned that HB3647 will ban exploding targets/tannerite as well.

It was my impression that if you lived in one of Illinois' hostile counties, you all ready had to be careful with your tannerite use. The UUW makes the possession of a "container containing an explosive substance of over one-quarter ounce for like purposes" illegal.

Thus, once you mixed the binary in an amount over 1/4 ounce, you are only a police or prosecutor's lie away from intending to use it as a bomb.

I don't know of any case law which has dealt with tannerite yet, but I could see it happening.
"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!% has hit the fan."
Warren Zevon

#17 RockerXX

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

It was my impression that if you lived in one of Illinois' hostile counties, you all ready had to be careful with your tannerite use. The UUW makes the possession of a "container containing an explosive substance of over one-quarter ounce for like purposes" illegal.

Thus, once you mixed the binary in an amount over 1/4 ounce, you are only a police or prosecutor's lie away from intending to use it as a bomb.

I don't know of any case law which has dealt with tannerite yet, but I could see it happening.

Yeah that law is a classic catch all law, as they could charge you with possession of a gas can for your lawn mower, a can of flammable household cleaner like GOOF OFF, or even the vanilla extract bottle in your spice rack... The list could go on for miles and everyone is guilty of a crime under that wording... A perfect example of a useless law that can be abused by LE but stops nor prevents anything...

Edited by RockerXX, 01 August 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#18 GUNS&LAWYERS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Crap...I didn't know that my vanilla was explosive. I better get it out of the house.
"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!% has hit the fan."
Warren Zevon

#19 RockerXX

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Crap...I didn't know that my vanilla was explosive. I better get it out of the house.

FDA requires it to be dissolved in at least 70 Proof alcohol if it's labeled pure vanilla extract, mini molotov cocktail!

Edited by RockerXX, 01 August 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#20 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

No more mentos and diet coke.